Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Thanks Lynn and Robert. I'm amazed at the amount of useful information that has come from the Catholic church records in London.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Top notch, Debs.

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Cates
    replied
    good

Hello Debs. Good work--as always.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    You're welcome, Jerry.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Thank you, Debs. Itís nice to finally see a birth record for Junior. Thanks for posting that info.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Was that near Great Peter Street, where the riot was?
    Yes, I think it was, Gary.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    The family's address was given as New Peter Street. I accidentally cut that off the side of the image.
    Was that near Great Peter Street, where the riot was?

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    No problem How.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thanks for sharing the info, Debs....
    XXXXX

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Cheers Gary.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Great find, Debs.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    The family's address was given as New Peter Street. I accidentally cut that off the side of the image.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    started a topic Thomas Conway Jnr's birth and baptism

Thomas Conway Jnr's birth and baptism

I don't recall anyone else posting this before but I'm always wary of repeats, so apologies in advance if it has.

The birth registration for Thomas Conway Jnr eluded me for quite a while. I sent off for a couple of certificates in the past but none were the correct one.

As some may recall; when I was studying Catherine Eddowes in the workhouse and infirmary registers and found she had a fourth child Frederick William, I came across an entry where Catherine listed her oldest son as Thomas Lawrence Eddowes. This is the only time I had seen a middle name used for Thomas. Catherine switched the children's surnames between Conway and Eddowes in different poor law districts, probably in an attempt to get around settlement issues.

In workhouse records, Catherine always gave her religion as Roman Catholic and also that of her children.

Looking through the Catholic records for London I came across the baptism of Thomas Lawrence at Horsferry Road in Westminster

thomas lawrence baptism.JPG

Born on the 8th Dec 1867 and baptised 22nd December 1867 Thomas Laurentius [Lawrence] Conway, son of Thomas and Catharina [Catherine] Conway, maiden name Headers
    godfther Daniel Lea, godmother Marcella Dogohorelly [Donnoghley?]

despite Catherine's maiden name given as Headers, it does sound close enough to Eddowes to not be a problem and strange spellings of surnames is commonplace in these records.

Here is the listing as Thomas Lawrence in the workhouse records:

thomas lawrence.JPG

And here is just one of the many workhouse records noting the family are Roman Catholics:

eddowes roman catholic.JPG
Working...
X