X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    From The Cheltenham Mercury 8th Jan, 1887:

[ATTACH]18786[/ATTACH]
    "Beautiful Gruel" - sounds like an early draft of a certain song by Lionel Bart.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• If you please, sir, i don't want any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        "Beautiful Gruel" - sounds like an early draft of a certain song by Lionel Bart.

"Beau-eau-tiful gruel, roast heron and bustard..."

Eddowes may well have rubbed shoulders with a latter-day Mr Bumble.

Comment

• The reference to a 'third' blanket implies the paupers were issued with two as standard. Sheer indulgence!

Over in Romford in the early 20thC William Hunnable, Margaret Crossingham's executor, railed against the indulgence of feeding eggs to the workhouse paupers.

Comment

• Quite right - they can have jellied eels and lump it.

Comment

• Courtesy of Debra Arif.
              This list was mentioned in Rippercast’s review episode of ‘The Five’.

Woolwich Rd workhouse

20/11/69 Cathe Conway 28 admitted from G [Greenwich?] Date of order of admission 20th Nov 1869, cause of admission sick, religion RC, wife of Thomas, a tinman.discharged 18th Dec 1869

Workhouse (Institution) Woolwich Road, 1868-1870 GBG/250/6

20/1/70 Catherine Eddowes 28, Catherine Annie 6yrs 9mos. and Thos Lawrence 2, single laundress woolwich rd workhouse discharged 21/3/70

Workhouse (Institution) Woolwich Road, 1870-1872 GBG/250/7

7/8/71 Catherine Conway, 29, destitute, single, church, field work, discharged 15/8/71

Workhouse (Institution) Woolwich Road, 1870-1872 GBG/250/7

10/4/72 Catherine Conway, 30, destitute RC, single, laundress, discharged 16/4/72

Saint George´s Workhouse, Mint Street Register, 1873-1874

15/8/73 Kate Conway, hawker c of e , b 1843, married, in labour, 119 Wentworth St. Infant Conway b 1873, boy born of Kate Conway discharged 26/8/73 Kate Conway age 30, Alfred Conway 15 days. Own request

Whitechapel Infirmary STBG/WH/123/011

13/11/74 Kate Conway, 33, 100 Wentworth St, single, charring, ill and destitute, discharged 23/11/74 George Conway, 15 mos., child of Kate

Workhouse (Institution) Woolwich Road, 1876-1877 GBG/250/10

3 feb 1877 7.12pm kate eddowes sent to Infirmary from Woolwich rd workhouse. Kate, Catherine, Thomas and alfred had all been admitted to the workhouse on 7 Nov 1876 from 4 Giffen St Thos and Cath were discharged to school at Sutton on 17th Nov 1876.Kate and newborn son Frederick William were admitted to the woolwich workhouse again on the 20th 1877 from the infirmary. On feb 23rd Catherine and Thos were returned to the workhouse from Sutton. The whole family was then discharged from the workhouse on 24th feb at 11am. Frederick was 4 weeks old at that time.

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1877 SoBG/124/6

19/8/77 Kate Eddowes, 36, Frederick 6 mos. slept last night at Lambeth, discharged 11am next day, going to Greenwich.

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1877-1878 SoBG/124/7

18/3/78 Kate Conway, 36, Frederick 1, hawker, slept last night Woolwich, discharged next day, going to Stratford.

20/4/78 Kate Conway, 36, Frederick, 1, hawker slept last night West Ham, discharged 11am next day, going to Croydon

9/5/78 Kate Conway, 36, hawker, slept last night Woolwich, Frederick Conway 1, discharged 11am next day, going to Stratford

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register SoBG/124/11

7/08/1880 Kate Conway, 38, field [worker], slept last night Croydon, discharged 2nd day, going to Woolwich

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1881

25/8/81 Kate Conway, 40, slept last night Romford, hawker, George Conway, 6, going to Croydon

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1881 SoBG/124/13

12/10/81 Kate Conway, 39, hawker, slept last night at Croyson, discharged 11am first day, going to Stratford

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1881-1882 SoBG/124/14

13/4/82 Kate Conway, 39, hawker, slept last night Edgeware, discharged next day 11am, going to Greenwich

Newington Vagrant Register Southwark

6/11/83 Kate Conway, 38, hawker, slept last night in Dartford, discharged 9am, 2nd day. Going to Greenwich.

21/2/ 84, 11.20pm Kate Kelly, 40, hawker, slept last night Shoe Lane, discharged 9am 2nd day, going to Deptford

27/5/84, Kate Kelly, 40, charing, slept last night Brentwood, going to Crayford

Newington Vagrant Register

23/7/64 Kate Kelly , 11.45pm, fieldwork, slept last night Dartford, discharged 1st day 9am, going to Ilford,

City of London Homerton workhouse

11/1/86 Kate Kelly 42, entered from casual ward, married, charring, able bodied?-no, discharged 23 feb 86 at own request

19/3/86 Kate Kelly, 42, from casual ward, married, field work, able bodied? -yes, discharged 25 mar 86. Line below, John Kelly, 48, labourer, able bodied?-no, adm 18 mar 86 dis 25 mar 86 own request

Homerton workhouse creed register 1885 - 1896

Mar 18 86 Kate Kelly b 1844, fieldworker, R C, casual ward, husband John C.L.U.S. admitted 18/3/86 dis 25/3/86

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register

16/5/86 7pm, Kate Kelly 43, garden work, slept last night Croydon, discharged 2nd day after admission 7.30am going to Covent Garden

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1886-1887 SoBG/124/20

31/7/86 Kate Conway, 42, needle [work], slept last night Chatham, going to Brentford

Newington Vagrants Register

8/1/87 Kate Kelly, 45, fieldwork, slept last night Brentwood, going to Croydon

Whitechapel Infirmary STBG/WH/123/019

14/6/87 Kate Conway, 45, 55 Flower and Dean St , wife of Thos, a hawker, burnt foot. discharged 20/6/87

1/12/87 Kate Kelly, 45, laundry, slept last night Mile End, discharged 2nd day 7.30, going to Greenwich

24/12/87 Kate Kelly , 45, charring, from Epsom, discharged 3rd day 7.30, going to Chelsea

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1888

6/4/88 Catherine Conway, 45. charring, slept last night Stratford, discharged 3rd day 7am going to Woolwich

JM

Comment

• Impressive work from Debs, as usual.

If there was a Mount Rushmore for Ripper researchers, Debs’s face would smile out from it.

Comment

• Something I’m wondering about re. the Enright family is how reliable the info about where casuals had spent the previous night and where they were headed might have been. Presumably their word was taken at face value.

Comment

• This is a really fascinating mine of information. I’m hoping it will be laid out in the new A-Z so that it doesn’t get lost or diluted.

I notice that not once does Kate give her occupation as ‘balladeer’. (Sorry!)

Comment

• A lot of the ‘stayed last night/going to’ stuff is pretty improbable. Imagining Kate thinking up those lies in order to get a bed for the night gives me a real sense of the woman and her predicament.

Comment

• Thank you, Debra!
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• good

Hello Debs.

Good work.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Thanks for the comments everyone.
                            This raw data is in fact a couple of years old and is the data I used to determine that Kate Eddowes had a fourth child who she named Frederick, a child never written or researched about before.
                            It also formed part of the research I did in to the use of the Newington casual ward by the Whitechapel victims and their friends and family. I have mentioned bfore a couple of times that I believe Mary Ann Nichols used the Newington casual ward around the time her marriage was breaking up. Martha Tabram used this casual ward in the past, Mary Ann Monk was a regular, and an interesting young woman named Mary Kelly was using it in 1888.

It's a pity that the Newington casual ward registers areone of the only registers of this type concerning the use of one night causual workhouse stays that has survived for this era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                              This is a really fascinating mine of information. I’m hoping it will be laid out in the new A-Z so that it doesn’t get lost or diluted.

I notice that not once does Kate give her occupation as ‘balladeer’. (Sorry!)
                              It will remain 'under the line' info, Gary. There definitely won't be enough room in the new A to Z to reproduce lists like these for the women.
                              This is what Ripperology is all about for me, finding, posting and discussing information like this that leads us to new information and insight with like minded people like yourself. Anna, Robert, Jerry, Roy and many others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                                It will remain 'under the line' info, Gary. There definitely won't be enough room in the new A to Z to reproduce lists like these for the women.
                                This is what Ripperology is all about for me, finding, posting and discussing information like this that leads us to new information and insight with like minded people like yourself. Anna, Robert, Jerry, Roy and many others.
                                Keeping company with Foggy and Frank Cowdry I suppose.

Same here re Ripperology. Long may it continue

Re Eddowes: it’s interesting that it seems she started calling herself Kelly from early 1884, and that her occupation was often stated to be field/garden work. I wonder if she really ever went to Romford, Ilford, Brentwood, Croydon etc. Or whether she made those up so as to present herself as a genuine vagrant deserving of a night’s B&B?

Comment

Working...
                                X