X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Covell
    Former Member
    • Oct 2007

"Hippy Lip Annie"

The Evening World., October 12, 1888, an American newspaper on the death of "Hippy Lip Annie."
    Attached Files
  • Howard Brown
    Registrar
    • Jul 2003

Good one Mike...

The New York Evening World mentioned Hippy Lip Annie on October 1st, 11 days before the one you kindly posted.

Mike's article appeared in the New York Evening World....Last Edition...October 12th, 1888.

New York Evening World
    Sporting Edition
    October 1, 1888

Comment

• Sam Flynn
      Owl Catcher
      • Jun 2013

"... a notorious, dissolute woman of that neighbourhood", eh? Not exactly the Stride one might envisage, from what we know. Sometimes I wonder whether "Freedom of the Press" means "freedom to make $hit up"
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• Lynn Cates
        Researcher & Author
        • Jan 2013

Making strides.

Hello Gareth. Ah, where were you when I needed you?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Howard Brown
          Registrar
          • Jul 2003

Sam, LC....

It was de rigueur for American newspapers to tarnish the reps of the victims....this one about Stride is milquetoast compared to some I've encountered.

Comment

• Anna Morris
            • Jan 2014

On another site Neal Sheldon is credited with finding that Liz was nicknamed "Old Mother Gum" when she lived in Poplar. Liz herself claimed to have speech difficulties because she had been kicked in the face exiting the Princess Alice disaster. Appears to me Liz had a deformity of the mouth and/or a speech impediment though some contemporary reports stated she spoke normally.

The only etymology I can find for "hippy" [or "hippie"] is from the 1940s-60s US, describing the cultural movement of those times. "Hippy" can also describe a woman with a large backside. Are there other meanings in British slang? Is there another slang term that sounds similar?

Concerning Liz, what if anything could a deformity of her mouth have had to do with her life and/or murder? I have read discussions wondering how/why she got/had the cachous that were clutched in her hand. Were they breath fresheners or did sucking on a candy help her speak better or easier? [Didn't Demosthenes suck pebbles to overcome a stutter? I personally have difficulty speaking due to a neurological condition and know personally, hard candy or gum can help.] If she felt a need for such an aid, did she spend some of the money she had earned that day buying cachous? Were they a sort of necessity to her or a mere frivolity? If she wanted to be her best that night [she also wanted to borrow a clothes brush from someone earlier in the day], did she plan to meet someone special in her life?

[As for American reportage at the time, we have traditionally had a deep streak of what we call Puritanical thinking. This sense of morality would demand that unfortunates be labelled as a cautionary tale for others in my opinion.]
            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Howard Brown
              Registrar
              • Jul 2003

[As for American reportage at the time, we have traditionally had a deep streak of what we call Puritanical thinking. This sense of morality would demand that unfortunates be labelled as a cautionary tale for others in my opinion.]
              -Anna Morris-

Amen Anna....that and the fact that articles featuring prostitute murder ( just as in Britain...) with all the lurid details and descriptive phrases for the women....lady of the street...woman of the demimondaine..wretch..dissolute....... it sold / sells papers.

Comment

• Lynn Cates
                Researcher & Author
                • Jan 2013

skewed

Hello Howard. Thanks.

Quite agree; however, it can skew the data for researchers.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Sam Flynn
                  Owl Catcher
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Anna Morris
                  "Hippy" can also describe a woman with a large backside. Are there other meanings in British slang?
                  My OED says this: "a person, usually exotically dressed, who is, or is taken to be, given to the use of hallucinogenic drugs"

Maybe there was a kernel of truth in that Gull/grape story after all
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                  (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Working...