Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stride identitying Stride by photograph...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stride identitying Stride by photograph...

I am currently re-reading "The Ripper Legacy: Life and Death of Jack the Ripper" by Martin Howells and Keith Skinner and I am wondering about the following:

Quote:

There was some confusion over her identity at the inquest, but
    the matter was resolved when she was recognized from a photograph
    by her thirty-year old nephew, Constable Walter Frederick Stride of the
    Clapham division.
    Unquote:

Why not perform the identification in person, rather than using a photograph? I assume this would be the usual way. Why the exception? How exceptional was this? etc etc

Regards,

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Stride had been buried about a week after her death, so the ID had to be by photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Hi Martyn

Stride had been buried about a week after her death, so the ID had to be by photo.

Thanks Robert, that clears that up. There was a bit of delay/confusion identifying here definitely, wasn't there and I guess they couldn't hang around too long for obvious reasons.

Cheers for that!

Martyn

Comment

It's also a fact that there was some confusion at the inquest on Liz Stride when a woman named Mrs Mary Mortimer testified that the victim was her sister, Mrs Elizabeth Stokes.
        Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

It's also a fact that there was some confusion at the inquest on Liz Stride when a woman named Mrs Mary Mortimer testified that the victim was her sister, Mrs Elizabeth Stokes.

Not a fact...it was Mrs. Mary Malcolm who believed Stride was her dead sister, Elizabeth Watts, at the Stride Inquest.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Let's hear it for the LVP...

Thinking this through a bit more, it does make me appreciate what a good
            job the police must have done in general, in identifying the victims in a timely manner when you consider the difficulties they faced:

- Transient lifestyles of the victims.
            - Use of aliases.
            - No official papers.
            - People misidentifying the victims (accidently or on purpose.)

all while under the 'stop clock' of a rotting corpse.

Martyn

Comment

...And considering the abyssmal conditions of the mortuary system in many parts of the greater metropolitan area at the time. In some ways, these murders brought attention to that fact and changes were made to some degree -- at least in Whitechapel/Bethnal Green anyway.
              Best Wishes,
              Cris Malone

Comment

Working...
              X