Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for background info

Hello everyone!

Iím researching Liz Stride, or Fru Gustafsdotter rather, who grew up just next to one of my townís most famed archaeological monuments. That alone got me interested.

Iím looking for texts on Elizabethís background in Sweden that have been published in English. Book chapters, articles, anything. That is, modern research, not contemporary reports. A lot of print media is very hard to come by from here, and so Iím hoping for help on finding scanned versions, maybe. Before I write anything on the subject, I want to make sure Iím not covering ground already published. Thereís one or two misconceptions about her that Iíve seen online and hope to address.

Next week Iíll be loaning a copy of a 1994 biography of Elizabeth, in Swedish, and I hope to make it available via pdf. May be of interest to some.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Anton

Daniel Olsson did an article on her life in Sweden - Ripperologist #52.

Comment

Next week Iíll be loaning a copy of a 1994 biography of Elizabeth, in Swedish, and I hope to make it available via pdf. May be of interest to some.
      -Anton-

Sounds good, Anton.
      When you get an opportunity, could you let us know what misconceptions exist about Stride.
      Thanks....and thanks again for joining.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

1. Thank you for the tip, Robert! Now I just need to find a scan/photo of that article, and sadly Ripperologist 52 seems to have been one of the pre-digital editions... hm.

2. Howard: Thanks again for allowing me on the site. The issues are nothing critical, as such, but minor details here and there which paint a fractured image. I will need to factcheck the whole lot of them in the primary sources before I say anything, but I can comment on a truly small error, which as far as I can tell so far appears only on the Swedish-language Wikipedia article on Elizabeth (not the English one): That Elizabethís parents were tenant farmers, and did not own their own land. This is a fairly crucial thing in the Swedish agrarian society, as owning land/not owning land would not only dominate your economic position (paying taxes vs. paying taxes + rent and carrying out free labour for the landlord), it would also decide whether you have political representation in the Riksdag of the Four Estates (abolished 1866), and your rights to participate in local administration/local self-rule at the Thing court/legal assemblies and the Parish municipal assembly. I believe the archival are actually very clear about their status as, well still poor, land-owning peasants.

(The line in particular on Swedish Wikipedia is: ĒFamiljen var smŚbrukare i Torslanda och šgde inte marken de brukade.Ē ó The family were small farmers in Torslanda and did not own the land they farmed.)

Comment

Anton, PM Adam Wood, to see if he can help.

Comment

Anton, I have it.
            When I get home, I'll scan it for you.
            To Join JTR Forums :
            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              -Anton-

Sounds good, Anton.
              When you get an opportunity, could you let us know what misconceptions exist about Stride.
              Thanks....and thanks again for joining.

Hi Anton,
              Welcome to the site. I take it by the 1994book that you mean JACK THE RIPPERS TREDJE OFFER (JACK THE RIPPERíS THIRD VICTIM) by Birgitta Leufstadius, published by Warne Forlag. I think there may already be a translation, so take care about the copyright. Otherwise, a PDF would be fantastic as most people here don't have that book. I did see a hard copy for sale recently. First time in a while.

Comment

Working...
              X