• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Smith Census ( Pat Marshall )

From another thread.....

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Thanks to Debra pointing this out,

Emma Elizabeth Wells was actually born Emma Elizabeth Binmore. She married a Frederick Augustus Wells in June 1862 at Portsea Island.
    As per the 1872 census her son Thomas was born in 1862 so I assume son of Frederick Augustus Wells.
    It appears Frederick Augustus Wells moved to Auckland, New Zealand and both remarried. Frederick to Margaret Bryson Paul in Auckland and Emma Elizabeth to John Smith in Portsea in 1868. Both Bigamously it appears ?

Pat.....

Comment

Hi Pat

Thomas George Binmore Wells was indeed registered Portsea Island Q2 1862.

Comment

Think Thomas the son may have joined merchant Navy under name of Wells...
        Pat

Comment

Wasn’t it said that at the time of Emma’s death she had a son and a daughter living in Finsbury?

Comment

Think Thomas the son may have joined merchant Navy under name of Wells...
            Pat

Comment

Wasn’t it said that at the time of Emma’s death she had a son and a daughter living in Finsbury?

Gary do you have a source for that... it might save me a lot of searching ?

I know it says she was a widow but I cant find that she had kids...
              Thanks
              Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post

Gary do you have a source for that... it might save me a lot of searching ?

I know it says she was a widow but I cant find that she had kids...
                Thanks
                Pat
                Hi Pat,

It’s from an undated report by Insp Reid which appears on page 4 of The Ultimate:

Son and daughter living in Finsbury Park area.

Comment

There was a son born a year after Thomas - Frederick William I think - who didn't seem to die quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post
                    Thanks to Debra pointing this out,

Emma Elizabeth Wells was actually born Emma Elizabeth Binmore. She married a Frederick Augustus Wells in June 1862 at Portsea Island.
                    As per the 1872 census her son Thomas was born in 1862 so I assume son of Frederick Augustus Wells.
                    It appears Frederick Augustus Wells moved to Auckland, New Zealand and both remarried. Frederick to Margaret Bryson Paul in Auckland and Emma Elizabeth to John Smith in Portsea in 1868. Both Bigamously it appears ?

Pat.....
                    Pat, I tried to contact Ray Wells whose information this was but I haven't heard anything back. Ray wrote an article for a local history group magazine so I am trying to track that down.

Comment

Working...
                    X