Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    The building circled is Hamilton House on the corner of Temple Avenue and the Embankment. St Bride's can be seen to the right, as can St Paul's - both designed by Wren after the fire of London.

To the left of HH can be seen the gardens of the Temple, one of the Inns of Court where lawyers have their chambers and where the Templars' church is.

HH is only circled because I nabbed the pic from a HH website. I once worked there for a stockbroking firm.

image.png

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Ain't you just a wellspring of wisdom, amigo ?

Seriously, thanks Gary !
    Ain't I just?

One of the witnesses to the McCarthy wedding was a Sarah Good. A woman of the same name witnessed Polly Nichol's wedding. I suspect she was the sextoness of the church at the time.

I once worked in the print industry. It was heavily unionised and we used to attend union meetings in a building near St Brides. Because of the historic links between the print industry and monastic orders we were organised into 'chapels' and the person in charge was known as the 'father of the chapel'.

I worked in Temple Avenue which runs between Fleet Street and the river near Blackfriars Bridge. I believe Charles Grand signed his deposition in Temple Avenue. 'Temple' refers to the Knight's Templar whose church stands near by.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Curiously, Eddowes 'sold sex to pay the rent.'

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    I note that the newspaper headline mentions the Ripper, while Polly is relegated to 'victim.'

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    I wonder where Dr Joyce researched the story of Mary Nichols. Books about Jack the Ripper?
    I think it is a very worthwhile charity, but is it cynically using interest in Jack the Ripper to generate publicity whilst trying to pretend they disapprove of it? Nichols would be forgotten today had she not been a victim of Jack the Ripper and nobody except Ripperologists has given a damn about her for the last 130 years, so holding a service for her now smacks of exploitation, which I suppose is fine if it brings in money and support for the charity, but itís still using Jack the Ripper - the old technique of publicising and profiting from something by denying it, like propagandists did in the war by planting false newspaper stories denying that German-made parachutes failed to open and thereby creating anxiety. And is using a photo of someone who wasnít Nichols insulting.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Dr Joyce says that we still owe Polly a duty of care. Pity her Heavenly Parent didn't feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Ain't you just a wellspring of wisdom, amigo ?

Seriously, thanks Gary !

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articl...not-the-ripper

Even here, the blogger uses a photo of woman who, obviously, isn't Polly Nichols.

Not a bad idea.
    John McCarthy's parents married in this CofE church.

Just off Fleet Street, it was/is known as the printer's church.

Leave a comment:

• St Brideís service remembers the victim, not the Ripper

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articl...not-the-ripper

Even here, the blogger uses a photo of woman who, obviously, isn't Polly Nichols.

Not a bad idea.
Working...
X