Polly Nichols ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Quite a nomadic lifestyle. And presumably she used Shanks's Pony. It's a long way on foot from Hackney to Croydon or Greenwich to Notting Hill.
    The lifestyle of a vagrant. A lot of these women went from place to place hawking, doing seasonal field work or any casual work they could pick up. Sometimes I wonder if the places they stayed and were on their way to were fabricated attempts look as if they were genuinely travelling and looking for work to avoid possibly being taken in to the main workhouse.The casual wards were supposed to be for people actively in search of work.

Comment

Edna the Inebriate Woman

Iím sure many of us have seen this film, but for any who havenít itís worth watching to get a flavour of what life may have been like for some of the women we are researching.

Comment

Edna

The link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wYK322pWyks

Comment

Entered Wandsworth 2/4/1874 having been convicted at Richmond. A hawker, 5' 1.5 and '5 months advanced in pregnancy'. Offence DK & R.

Age 22
          Sorry, missed this.
          That's interesting, Gary. Have you checked when Nichols children were born? I can't remember offhand.

Comment

Iím sure many of us have seen this film, but for any who havenít itís worth watching to get a flavour of what life may have been like for some of the women we are researching.
            Thanks for the link. I've never seen it. I used to like watching Patricia Hayes and Pat Coombs when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
              Sorry, missed this.
              That's interesting, Gary. Have you checked when Nichols children were born? I can't remember offhand.
              Alice, 1872 followed by Eliza, 1877 from what I can see. Let's see what the GRO has to say for an 1874 birth.

Comment

"I am not the vagrant."

Comment

"....or even one of the two vagrants."

Comment

Alice, 1872 followed by Eliza, 1877 from what I can see. Let's see what the GRO has to say for an 1874 birth.
                    That's a large gap.
                    I remember that Mark Ripper found that either Polly Nichols or Annie Chapman, (I can never remember which one) had some history of stillbirth or miscarriage.

Comment

That's a large gap.
                      I remember that Mark Ripper found that either Polly Nichols or Annie Chapman, (I can never remember which one) had some history of stillbirth or miscarriage.
                      No luck with 1874 Nichol(l)s/ Walker births. Just these two who look geographically wrong:

image.jpeg

Comment

That's a large gap.
                        Annie Chapman had multiple miscarriages or stillbirths. Great article a while back in Ripperologist. Ought to be easy to find with the new indexing.

Concerning Polly, a question that comes to my mind--but I don't have resources to work on it--which I think others are working on, is, when Polly left her home, what were her plans? Surely she didn't just walk out and decide to live on the streets, find the nearest doss house or workhouse? Even in cases of severe abuse then or now, a woman usually has some idea of a place to go whether to a friend's, a family member or maybe to something not very good, but living on the street is not a first choice. Or I suppose a woman could stay out late drinking or whatever and just fail to come home, ending up lodging wherever she ended the evening and such could become a habit.
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                          Annie Chapman had multiple miscarriages or stillbirths. Great article a while back in Ripperologist. Ought to be easy to find with the new indexing.

Concerning Polly, a question that comes to my mind--but I don't have resources to work on it--which I think others are working on, is, when Polly left her home, what were her plans? Surely she didn't just walk out and decide to live on the streets, find the nearest doss house or workhouse? Even in cases of severe abuse then or now, a woman usually has some idea of a place to go whether to a friend's, a family member or maybe to something not very good, but living on the street is not a first choice. Or I suppose a woman could stay out late drinking or whatever and just fail to come home, ending up lodging wherever she ended the evening and such could become a habit.
                          We can't know when, why or how she ended up leaving home or even if she was thrown out. Her husband was supposed to have been having an affair and didn't waste much time moving the neighbour in.

Comment

No luck with 1874 Nichol(l)s/ Walker births. Just these two who look geographically wrong:

[ATTACH]18808[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks for looking.

Comment

And that means the woman I found regularly entering Newington casual ward could be Polly as these records date clash with the woman in Lambeth workhouse b c 1843.

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted Sat. Oct 30 1880 Mary Ann Nicholls, age 30, ironer, slep last at Woolwich, going to Wandsworth

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1881 Admitted Sunday July 10th 1881, Mary Ann Nicholls, age 30, laundry, slept last at Greenwich, destination Notting Hill

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1881 Admitted Sunday July 30th 1881, Mary Ann Nicholls. age 30, laundry, slept last night Paddington, destination Greenwich,

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted March 14th 1882. Mary Ann Nicholls, laundry, slept last night Croydon, destination Greenwich

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted Feb 17th 1881. Mary Ann Nichols, age 30, laundry, slept last night Croydon, destination Notting Hill

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted April 6th 1881, Mary Ann Nichols, age 30, laundry, slept last night Plumstead, destination Notting Hill

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted June 5th 1881, Mary Ann Nichols, age 30, ironer, slept last night Greenwich, destination Lewisham

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted Aug 11th 1881. Mary Ann Nichols, age 30. laundry, slept last night Peckham, destination Croydon

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1880 - 1881 Admitted Oct 30th 1881, Mary Ann Nichols, age 30, washing, slept last night Richmons, destination Whitechapel

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1881-1882 Admitted 5th Jan 1882, Mary ann Nichols, age 30, washing, slept last night Hackney, destination Greenwich

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, 1881-1882 Admitted April 17th 1882, Mary Ann Nichols, age 30, slept last night Hackney, destination Croydon , detained by Mr Armitage

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1887 Admitted May 21st 1887, Mary Ann Nichols, age 35, cleaning, slept last night Fullham, destination Croydon, detained by Mr Everett

Newington Workhouse Vagrants Register, Southwark 1887 Admitted Oct 5th 1887, Mary ann Nichols, age 35, spent last night at Shoe Lane. destination Greenwich

I know this woman was younger than the real age for Polly but it is documented in the Lambeth settlement records that Polly gave her date of birth as c 1852.
                              Debs,

This one doesn’t appear in your list, do you have it already?

St Saviours Union, Surrey (Newington Vagrant Ward).
                              Vagrant Admission and Discharge Book 1880.

Admitted 22/4/1880: Mary Ann Nichols; age 35; laundry; slept last night at Wandsworth; picked oakum; going to Shoe Lane.

Comment

Debs,

This one doesn’t appear in your list, do you have it already?

St Saviours Union, Surrey (Newington Vagrant Ward).
                                Vagrant Admission and Discharge Book 1880.

Admitted 22/4/1880: Mary Ann Nichols; age 35; laundry; slept last night at Wandsworth; picked oakum; going to Shoe Lane.
                                I should add that in payment for her oakum-picking she received 6 (oz?) of bread and 1(pint?) of gruel at supper and breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                                X