Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Oranto
    replied
    I think these are the birth certificates that have not been posted before in the thread:

Mary Ann Nichols
    William Nichols
    Edward Walker
    Eliza Sara Nichols
    Henry Alfred Nichols

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Blomer View Post

Jose, I have found nothing to suggest tgat they lived at another address between Kirby and Trafalgar, but of course that is in no way conclusive.
    What in particularly makes you wonder.
    I am currently reworking my own chapter on Mary, using and crediting much in this thread.
    Hi Steven

As Chris said, it is not entirely clear, although I must say that I will write in my book 'Trafalgar St' as a fact, although I will clarify it in a footnote.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

​​​​​​Thanks Chris. I can't remember why we don't have Edward John's birth certificate, though apparently it's because he's not in GRO (I just checked).
    Yes - apparently his birth wasn't registered, so we have only the later baptism entry.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I think Jose's comment was based on the information about the places of birth given for Edward John (Camberwell or Peckham) summarised in the post by me that he was replying to. It's clearest in 1881, when Edward is said to have been born in Peckham but the younger children (born at Trafalgar Street) have Walworth, implying Edward was born somewhere other than Trafalgar Street.

​​​​​​Thanks Chris. I can't remember why we don't have Edward John's birth certificate, though apparently it's because he's not in GRO (I just checked).

I will post here all birth and death certificates together for future reference

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

Jose, I have found nothing to suggest tgat they lived at another address between Kirby and Trafalgar, but of course that is in no way conclusive.
    I am currently reworking my own chapter on Mary, using and crediting much in this thread.
    I think Jose's comment was based on the information about the places of birth given for Edward John (Camberwell or Peckham) summarised in the post by me that he was replying to. It's clearest in 1881, when Edward is said to have been born in Peckham but the younger children (born at Trafalgar Street) have Walworth, implying Edward was born somewhere other than Trafalgar Street.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Blomer
    replied

Just found this: baptism August 9, 1868; birth date July 4, 1866 (as Shelden said); address baptism record 131 Trafalgar Street.

Chris, do you think that between 17 Kirby Street and 131 Trafalgar St they could have been living in another address in Camberwell?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Thanks to Jose for sending me the death certificate of Polly's brother Frederic(k) to upload:

FredericWalkerDeath.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied

I shouldn't worry too much. Yesterday I ordered Alice's birth certificate, thinking it would be worth clarifying the date of her birth (December according to Rubenhold, but earlier as indicated by her age in the census). This morning I noticed that you had already posted it ...

​​​​​​There is no annual membership for GRO? ha ha
    Today I just received William Thick birth certificate and waiting for the death certificates of his two young daughters that should arrive today as well. I don't even want to think about the money I've spent on certificates. I knew Thick's date of birth, but I'm starting to not trust anything if I don't see the original source.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

I'm definitely lost... haha
    I shouldn't worry too much. Yesterday I ordered Alice's birth certificate, thinking it would be worth clarifying the date of her birth (December according to Rubenhold, but earlier as indicated by her age in the census). This morning I noticed that you had already posted it ...

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied

Thanks - I did post that a bit earlier in the thread actually, having followed the clue in Shelden:
    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...219#post591219
    I'm definitely lost... haha

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

Just found this, birth date July 4, 1866 (as Shelden said) and address 131 Trafalgar Street
    Thanks - I did post that a bit earlier in the thread actually, having followed the clue in Shelden:
    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...219#post591219

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied

Just a bit more on this point.

In 1871 all three children just have the vague place of birth "London".

In 1881 Edward John has Camberwell (as Shelden says) and the next two have Walworth.

In 1891 (at 8 Maydwell Street, North Camberwell), Edward again has Camberwell.

In 1901 (at 1 Upton Villa, Upton Road, Bexley), Edward has Peckham.

(Edit to add: Edward died in 1908, and details from his death certificate are given by Shelden, as is information from the censuses above.)

Just found this: baptism August 9, 1868; birth date July 4, 1866 (as Shelden said); address baptism record 131 Trafalgar Street.

Chris, do you think that between 17 Kirby Street and 131 Trafalgar St they could have been living in another address in Camberwell?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    A look at Shelden's books explains things. In his original book he says Edward John was born in Camberwell in 1865 or 1866, which is what the 1881 census indicates.
    Just a bit more on this point.

In 1871 all three children just have the vague place of birth "London".

In 1881 Edward John has Camberwell (as Shelden says) and the next two have Walworth.

In 1891 (at 8 Maydwell Street, North Camberwell), Edward again has Camberwell.

In 1901 (at 1 Upton Villa, Upton Road, Bexley), Edward has Peckham.

(Edit to add: Edward died in 1908, and details from his death certificate are given by Shelden, as is information from the censuses above.)

Leave a comment:

• Jose Oranto
    replied
    Nice work Jose, I will need to read it carefully and the comments by Debs,Gary and Chris, to see if I have left anything out in the chapter on Mary Ann in Inside Bucks Row.
    Will be adding a link to the book to this thread, people should see your work.

Currently I believe that there is no one more qualified than you about Nichols, I would be very happy if you find something here that can be useful for your excellent work. I will try to draw a chronological axis so that the information can be accessed immediately without having to read all the dramatic content, which I think will be very useful.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Blomer
    replied
    Nice work Jose, I will need to read it carefully and the comments by Debs,Gary and Chris, to see if I have left anything out in the chapter on Mary Ann in Inside Bucks Row.
    Will be adding a link to the book to this thread, people should see your work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X