Mary's 'background'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
    So, one would begin with females born ca 1863 and locate them in the 1881 census. But, given that the death in #13 was listed as Mary Kelly, the person we might find in the 1881 census would not show up in the death index, as the person who died and was buried was dubbed "Mjk."

What am I overlooking?
    LC
    You haven't overlooked anything, LC. That sounds right to me. Thanks.

It sounds good in theory although less than scientific. In practice, you would rather hope to have a specific candidate to work with.

She could be from any source, not just the census but from other contemporary records or even modern descendants making genealogical enquiries.

Comment

name

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Could be. Rather clear that the name is not MJK.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Alice

Hello Sanfran. Thanks.

I am still interested in Alice Carroll. Wish I could find HER death listing.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Could be. Rather clear that the name is not MJK.

Cheers.
          LC
          I think so.

Regards, Jon S.
          Regards, Jon S.
          "
          The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
          " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
          Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Hello Sanfran. Thanks.

I am still interested in Alice Carroll. Wish I could find HER death listing.

Cheers.
            LC
            Hi Lynn,
            Have you checked out the three death records in the Irish death index? They are all for women named Alice Carroll born c 1865/66 and occurred in South Dublin. Those would be the first to rule out, then there's the question of whether Alice Married (we have one report I posted from 87 that she was now Mrs Mooney), but she could have married anyone. There are a lack of marriage records for a couple of her sister but we know they were married.

Comment

questions

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Do you have those dates? I'll have a look.

Yes, the marriage issue is tricky. Wonder if, perhaps, there is a member family tree related to one or more of the sisters?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Do you have those dates? I'll have a look.

Yes, the marriage issue is tricky. Wonder if, perhaps, there is a member family tree related to one or more of the sisters?

Cheers.
                LC
                Here are the ones for women named Alice Carroll, born in the right year and from the right area, Lynn. These may of course be records for married women named Carroll, but only a look at a certificate would show that as the mothers maiden name section, annoyingly, isn't filled in.

I have been in touch with a descendant of Alice's sister, Mary Jane, as I mentioned to you in emails before. She married a man named Fanning (the name given for Alice's boyfriend in the papers, supposedly a policeman)I gave them information to add to the family tree and they were very interested in the intrigue surrounding Alice but had no family stories about any of it,of their own.

No image available
                Search collection
                About this collection
                name: Alice Carroll
                registration district: Dublin South
                event type: DEATHS
                registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1893
                estimated birth year: 1867
                age (at death): 26
                mother's maiden name:
                film number: 101597
                volume number: 2
                page number: 459
                digital folder number: 4200679
                image number: 00410

name: Alice Carroll
                registration district: Dublin South
                event type: DEATHS
                registration quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1930
                estimated birth year: 1867
                age (at death): 63
                mother's maiden name:
                film number: 101738
                volume number: 2
                page number: 360
                digital folder number: 4202045
                image number: 00011

There's one more but I can't find it at present. Will post it if I find it again.

Comment

description

The description of Alice Carroll from the Grangegorman prison records in 85/86 say she is age 20, 5ft. 4.5in. with blue eyes and fair hair. The address of Lower Eccles lane and birthplace of Eccles Lane tying in to Alice Carroll, witness, known through the Phoenix park related trials.

Comment

thanks

Hello Debs. Thanks. I'll check this out.

I did manage to locate one tree with the well known photo attached. Sadly, the death date was missing.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Hello Debs. Thanks. I'll check this out.

I did manage to locate one tree with the well known photo attached. Sadly, the death date was missing.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Lynn, I sent them that illustration plus christening records. As I said, the family knew little.

Comment

familiar

Hello Debs. Thanks.

"As I said, the family knew little."

Sounds like a familiar story that will be repeated more frequently as we get further and further away in time.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

looking

Hello Debs. I found the family tree and Alice's birth date of 28 April, 1866. I have been scrutinising Ancestry for a death record. No luck so far.

I thought that since her parish was clearly indicated, it might be easy to find something in the papers. Did find the following snippet in "The Guardian" 26 September, 1883.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X