Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Startling claim about Mary Kelly in Shadow of the Ripper (1988)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startling claim about Mary Kelly in Shadow of the Ripper (1988)

In a thread on Casebook
    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=6853
    there is a link to YouTube which has the 1988 documentary "Shadow of the Ripper" with Christopher Frayling.
    As part of the format there are sections introducing the murder sites. These take the form of a conducted walk in which Martin Fido is taking a small group of people around the sites and explaining their background.
    In his introduction to the Kelly murder Martin makes a rather startling statement regarding Kelly's background which passes without further comment as though it were established fact. Let me explain that Martin has always been for me one of the writers and researchers in whom I have much confidence and so I take what he says seriously.
    His words at this point were:-
    "Outside, 100 yards down the street, is the Ten Bells. We're in the Convent of the Sisters of Mercy, and here, in this Convent, Mary Jane Kelly was trained as a domestic servant. They sent her to work with a family who still have connections with the Convent. She left them and became a prostitute. She took a room between here and the Ten Bells."
    As will probably be obvious the thing that caught my attention is the claim that the family for whom Kelly had worked maintained connections to the convent to the present day (or at least until 1988). For that to be true the identity of the family must be known, even if not revealed.
    Does anyone know anything about this claim and/or who the family were or are?

Hi Chris
    I suspect that Martin is talking about the Bellord family.

Comment

Many thanks Paul
      Looked this up in the A-Z and will do some digging around
      regards
      Chris S

Comment

This from a 2004 post by John Savage on Casebook:-
        The Crook conspiracy has always depended on proving a link between Cleveland Street and Whitechapel. Joseph claimed that Mary Kelly had been sent to work in Cleveland Street by Edmund Bellord, chairman of the governors of the Providence Row Refuge. Mr. Bellord was said to be a partner in the firm of Perkins and Bellord, estate agents, of whom ther has never been a trace. However today Robert Charles Linford provided a most useful link to The Times online archive and this has enabled me to find references to just such a firm. Their address is given as 14 Fitzroy Street W 1, but the earliest reference I have been able to find was 1938 and it must be remembered that Edmund Bellord died in 1926, for this reason I suspect that the firm of estate agents was run by his nephew James Bellord.

Comment

Here's the Casebook Wiki discussion of the claim that Mary Jane Kelly stayed at the Providence Row Night Refuge:

http://wiki.casebook.org/index.php/P...w_Night_Refuge

Cheers

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

In 1881, 1891 and 1901 14 Fitzroy St was Morley House, one of the Homes For Working Girls. It was a large and apparently exclusively female establishment. In 1881 there was a Mary Bryan, barmaid born 1855 Ireland.

Here's a link with a bit of info :

http://dscalm.warwick.ac.uk/DServe/d...ue%20(HBG).pdf

Comment

Chris,
              Here's a sneak preview of the entry from the forthcoming and very much beefed-up e-book edition of the A to Z and details of John Savage's excellent article in that ever-a-goldmine Ripperologist...

BELLORD, EDMUND JOSEPH (1857–1927)
              Solicitor and founder and leading committee member of Providence Row Night Refuge.

Born on 30 July 1858 at 22 Long Lane, Smithfield, London, son of James Bellord (1805-1894), a merchant sea captain, and Mary Ann Roche (1819-1895). Educated at St Augustine’s, Ramsgate, and Oxford. Admitted to the Roll, 1881; partner in the firm of Lickorish and Bellord, practised iat 11 Mansion House Chambers, Queen Victoria Street, 1881–93 and at various addresses thereafter, finally locating at 8 Waterloo Place, Pall Mall. A trustee of the Prividence Row Night Refuge and chairman of the Refuge’s committee. Married (1) Helen Teresa Smith, 11 May 1886, three children, Mildred Mary (1887–1972), Cuthbert George (1889–1950), and Margery Mary (1891–?), and (2) Agnes Mary Purssell, 11 January 1899, children Charles Edmund (1900–1918), George (1904–1963), Robert (1908–1970), Elizabeth Agnes M (1910–1991), and Patricia Mary (1912–1943). Died 17 December 1927, at 46 Ennismore Gardens, South Kensington, leaving an estate valued at 21,641.

Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution claims that Bellord was a partner in the firm of Perkins and Bellord, solicitors and estate agents, and that when the tobacconist at 22 Cleveland Street needed an assistant, Walter Sickert approached ‘a lawyer who ran an East End refuge for poor working women’, who brought Mary Jane Kelly to Cleveland Street. This is apparently a reference to Bellord.

Bellord was not a partner in the firm of Perkins and Bellord, but much later his nephew, James Bellord, went into partnership with Walter Mottram Perkins as estate agents at 14 Fitzroy Street. James died on 25 March 1935, among his bequests being 200 to Providence Row.

See John Savage. ‘Perkins and Bellord Estate Agents?’ Ripperologist, no.56 November 2004

Comment

Many thanks for that Paul - very much appreciated
                Chris

Comment

The Bellord name featured until 2003 :

http://www.providencerow.org.uk/uplo...ew_%202004.pdf

Comment

Hi Chris,

James Bellord was the nephew of Edmund Bellord. James father ran an agency in Portland Street, close to Cleveland Street, dealing in properties for sale and let, and may also have been involved in placing domestic servants into work. The firm of Perkins and Bellord does not seem to have commeced until the 1930's

Alfred Purssel who became Edmund's father in law upon his second marriage was also a member of the Providence Row comittee.

The Bellord and Purssel famlies were catholics as was Jospeph [Gorman] Sickert and his friend Harry Jonas. I am not trying to say that there is anything sinister in this, it is simply the only common thread that I have found between them.

Rgds
                    John

Comment

Hi Chris,

I meant to add that I have also heard of a TV programme made in the 1980's (BBC I think) when a member of the Bellord family made the claim that they had employed Mary Kelly.

I am afraid that I have never been able to track this TV programme down, so I can't say much more than it is "out there somewhere"

Rgds
                      John

Comment

Hi John.

I meant to add that I have also heard of a TV programme made in the 1980's (BBC I think) when a member of the Bellord family made the claim that they had employed Mary Kelly.

I am afraid that I have never been able to track this TV programme down, so I can't say much more than it is "out there somewhere"
                        Isn't this program likely to be the one under discussion? "Shadow of the Ripper" was a BBC Timewatch production, shown in 1988 and it did discuss the possible connections between Mary Kelly and Providence Row.

Just a thought.

Wolf.

Comment

Mary Bryan

Originally posted by Robert Linford
                          In 1881, 1891 and 1901 14 Fitzroy St was Morley House, one of the Homes For Working Girls. It was a large and apparently exclusively female establishment. In 1881 there was a Mary Bryan, barmaid born 1855 Ireland.

Martha Tabram's corpse was misidentified as one Mary Bryan.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Yes Tom, so she was. Must be a coincidence.

Comment

Hi Wolf

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                              Hi John.

Isn't this program likely to be the one under discussion? "Shadow of the Ripper" was a BBC Timewatch production, shown in 1988 and it did discuss the possible connections between Mary Kelly and Providence Row.

Just a thought.

Wolf.
                              Thanks for the information it sounds most interesting, do you, or anyone else know if it was actually a member of the Bellord family who was mentioned or appeared?

Robert,
                              It is interesting that 14 Fitzroy Street was once a home for working girls, I certainly never knew that before.
                              The Providence Row Hostel was involved in providing accomodation for working girls, although off hand I cannot remember when, all my Bellord research was done some years ago and I only have it on paper so it takes time to go through the file [even when I can find it]

Anyway the coincidence is enough to get my nose twiching; I shall try to delve deeper into this connection as soon as I have time.

Rgds
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X