Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's it Ed

Sh.jpg

Clerk's House on Shoreditch High Street at front of church (it's still there today) mortuary was in back

shore1.jpg

shore2.jpg

From Survey of London, Vol VIII - The Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch, 1922 (archive.org)

Comment

The clerk and mortuary keeper was Henry Wilton, who paid the Kelly funeral expenses. In the 1881 census he is listed as an undertaker at 118 1/2 Shoreditch High Street, age 60, widowed, living with his two sons Charles, 31 and Henry, 23 both cabinet makers. Septimus Buss was the vicar.

shore3.jpg

Seasonal Papers, House of Commons, 1900

Comment

There are a few tit-bits of information about Henry Wilton in the A to Z ebook. Hewas the grandfather of Baby Wilton, a child actress.

Paul

Comment

This electronic A-Z, do you make it for Americans?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
            This electronic A-Z, do you make it for Americans?
            Apparently it isn't available in the United States. I guess you can't dowload the UK version from Amazon. Maybe Howard knows how to do it. That it isn't available in the US has nothing to do with me. Obviously I wish it was available there and everywhere, but hopefully some interesting changes can be made to the book in the months to come.

Paul

Comment

Number 118 1/2 Shoreditch High Street in 2006.
              DSCF0149.JPG

DSCF0155.JPG

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the photos, Rob....

Dave, Paul.....the Kindle version isn't available in the States at this time. I don't know how to download the UK version. If I do find out, I will let you know.
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Thank you for the images, Roy, Edward, and Rob.

Comment

Thanks Ed, Roy and Rob!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                      Hi Debs,

Not a silly question. I don't know if he had any influence but actually I now suspect that Wilton is the one to come down and physically move Mary Kelly. He regularly appears in expenses moving bodies in Shoreditch (when the expenses are recorded). I see him moving one of those Spitalfields cases over to the court house in Norton Folgate and I think he probably did the other who went there. The coroner's officers in Spitalfields also covered Shoreditch, where bodies were constantly moved to the mortuary. They must have been accustomed to working with him.

Thanks for the additional details, Dave.

Comment

Hello all,

Seeing Dave on here it reminded me of a really good and informative, well discussed and positive thread on CB about 5 or 6 years ago called "The Echo, 10th November 1888" which definitively connects with this excellent thread here.
                        Really good posts from Debs, SPE, Simon, Rob C, Dave O, Norma, Trevor, myself and others made it very interesting.
                        I can't post the specific link on here from my phone.. but I am sure you will find it.

Phil
                        from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

This one, Phil?

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                            Hello all,

Seeing Dave on here it reminded me of a really good and informative, well discussed and positive thread on CB about 5 or 6 years ago called "The Echo, 10th November 1888" which definitively connects with this excellent thread here.
                            Really good posts from Debs, SPE, Simon, Rob C, Dave O, Norma, Trevor, myself and others made it very interesting.
                            I can't post the specific link on here from my phone.. but I am sure you will find it.

Phil

Yes, Phil. I agree. Stewart Evan's posts were particularly informative and straightened out a lot of the misunderstandings of the first few posts to that thread. He also confirmed there was a further post mortem ( see post#16 of that thread) on Saturday 10th which is why I started this thread because Trevor Marriott was adamant that there was one examination only on Friday 9th November and this thread was for his benefit so he would stop sending me PM's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

Yes, Phil. I agree. Stewart Evan's posts were particularly informative and straightened out a lot of the misunderstandings of the first few posts to that thread. He also confirmed there was a further post mortem ( SPE calls it an autopsy) on Saturday 10th which is why I started this thread because Trevor Marriott was adamant that there was one examination only on Friday 9th November and this thread was for his benefit so he would stop sending me PM's about it.
                              Hello Debs,

Firstly..I don't care who is right or wrong about things... and don't personally mind being wrong (as some..and I emphasise that..some of the above link shows).. what I did like was the coming together of the group to discuss, without malice, something that is..In actual fact..quite complicated. One-upmanship has never been a priority for me.
                              Everybody on that thread...All those mentioned..had worthwhile contributions. For me personally, Dave's descriptions of the inner workings of the Coroner in question were most enlightening. The showing..by research and diligence that Bond was PROBABLY not the writer of the "Bond notes" but Hebbert, also really good.

The two different examples still intrigue me though.

Anybody ever get to the bottom of that little conundrum?

Hello Robert,

Yes..that's the one...Thank you. Glad some bits of my memory still work from time to time! ☺

Phil
                              from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Hi Phil

Which 'two different examples' [of what?] are you referring to?

Comment

Working...
                                X