Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Prater- a younger woman than previously thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, now you've conjured a picture of Mary running behind her own coffin with her old cock linnet.

Comment

The illustrations I posted were from the 15 November edition of 'The Pall Mall Budget; the good thing about The Pall Mall Budget was that it contained significantly more illustrations. There are some nice ones in them.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Tom, now you've conjured a picture of Mary running behind her own coffin with her old cock linnet.
        Looks like somebody got an early start on their weekend. Drink one for me, Robert!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks to Rob and Edward for the illustrations....
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

Blimey it looks like a furniture removal van. I'd always envisaged an LVP ambulance as a handcart being pushed by a bloke going 'dee-da, dee-da, dee-da.'
            Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I think the hand cart you're thinking of is an ambulance, whereas a body in a casket would necessitate a bigger vehicle. In fact, a furniture van might just be the thing!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Hi Robert and Tom,

That might be Wilton's rig come down from St. Leonard's.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
              And another on I think 11th with an interesting view that I have never seen before even if it is not related to this thread...
              [ATTACH]15732[/ATTACH]
              Thanks Edward. I don't think I saw that drawing before. It shows 26 Dorset Street on the right with 27 and 28 to its left. I believe that there was a Millers Court type alleyway between 27 and 28 and the drawing seems to ever so slightly hint at this.
              Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

In the LVP many police forces had a handcart that resembled a stretcher with a pair of wheels, this resembled a costermongers cart. This cart was refered to as an 'ambulance'. It was used mainly for picking up drunks and taking dead bodies to the morgue.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/400257485609988629/

Comment

Banns.jpg

What was her address at marriage? 86 ______ Street

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                    [ATTACH]15740[/ATTACH]

What was her address at marriage? 86 ______ Street
                    I thought it was Minerva Street, which is Bethnal Green. near the Old Bethnal Green Road that William Prater gave as his address.

As a bonus- I just realised that in Elizabeth's settlement the 111 Old ?? Rd where they first lived is 111 Old BG Road

Comment

Hi Roy

Yes, I looked at Minerva but as far as I could see the numbers didn't reach #86.

Comment

Hi Roy

Yes, I looked at Minerva but as far as I could see the numbers didn't reach #86.
                        I couldn't see it either but I read that Minerva St was re numbered around 81 or 82? The Bricklayers arms is listed at both #30 and #59 Minerva St at different times.

Comment

Oh, I so wish they hadn't kept mucking around with the numbers.

Comment

Oh, I so wish they hadn't kept mucking around with the numbers.
                            I agree, Robert. Life's hard enough for the geographically challenged -I can't even cope when people just start discussing North and South sides of the streets!

Comment

Thanks Debs,

Elizabeth Broomer, born 1864 Croydon, was Age 7 in the 1871 census of England and Wales. Age 17 in the 1881 census, Age 25 in the 1888 Settlement Record, then named Elizabeth Prater.
                              Okay

So her Age 21 as the marriage banns of William Prater and Elizabeth Broomer were recorded on the October 1881 certificate is out by 3 or 4 years, I'm taking a guess.

Debs what is the settlement record you shared? Was it from a Poor Law Union? Which one? I see the date of Jan 24, 1888. What else does it say at the top please anyone?

settlement.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                                Thanks Debs,

Elizabeth Broomer, born 1864 Croydon, was Age 7 in the 1871 census of England and Wales. Age 17 in the 1881 census, Age 25 in the 1888 Settlement Record, then known as Elizabeth Prater.
                                Okay

So her Age 21 as the marriage banns of William Prater and Elizabeth Broomer were recorded on the 1881 certificate is out by 4 years, I'm taking a guess.

Debs what is the settlement record you shared? Was it from a Poor Law Union? Which one? I see the date of Jan 24, 1888. What else does it say at the top please anyone?

[ATTACH]15747[/ATTACH]
                                Hi Roy
                                As I said, I'm hoping to write an article which will include the details. People can then make up their mind which woman better fits the known facts.
                                Basically, the Elizabeth Broomer who married William Prater boot machinist is definitely the subject of the settlement record and the woman admitted to Whitechapel Infirmary with syphilis- and other institutions This woman had been deserted by her husband for 5 year which fits with what Prater said of herself. The age on the marriage certificate may have been fabricated to get around asking for parental consent.

Comment

Working...
                                X