Clear All

• Excellent find, Chris.

Comment

• An interesting address:

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        An interesting address:
        That would go along with Maria's employer being a toy dealer, I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I imagine so.

I wonder if Wilhelmina’s Limehouse brothel was Johannes’ place on the West India Dock Road. She doesn’t appear there on the 1891 census, though.

Comment

That's a good point. Thinking she should be easier to find in the census than Wilhelmina, having been born in the Netherlands, I couldn't resist having a quick search, and this looks like her in 1891, in service at 57 King's Road, St Luke's Chelsea. I would never have thought of searching for the spelling "Morjernstein":

MariaMorgenstern.jpg
            Great find, Chris!

Comment

Certainly does!
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

On 8th Aug 1875 at the same St Mary and St Michael's Catholic Church Commercial Rd
                Adriaum Valks of 4 Phillip St, son of Simeonis Valks
                married Jeannettam Kemeling of 4 Phillip St. She was the daughter of Jacobi Kemeling
                Witnesses were Henry John Ingders of 10 Back Church Lane
                and Bernardo Valks of 5 Cable Street

Adrianus Valks and wife Jeanett had children baptised at the same Catholic Church of their marriage:

Born 3rd Nov 1875 and baptised 14 Nov 1875
                Adrianus Simon Valks, son of Adrianus L and Antonetta Valks formerly Kemeling.
                God father Joannes ? Morgenstern and God mother Johanna Maria Morgenstern

Then we have the baptism I posted at the beginning of the post:
                Gregorius Felix b 22 Dec 1882 and baptised 14 Jan 1883, father Aduanus L Felix, mother Antoinetta formerly Gaemling.

I believe this is the same couple, Adrianus L Falks now listed as Felix and Gaemling or possibly Caemling being a variant spelling of Kemeling.

The next baptism is in 1891:
                Born 31st March 1891 and baptised 16 April 1891
                Henricus Valks son of Adriani and Jeannette Valks
                Margareta Heaton

Despite the name change from Antonetta to Jeanetta (which is something Adrian L Morgenstern's wife appears to have done between their marriage and 1881 census entry) Jeanetta was used in the Valks marriage record.

So, the use of the surname Felix may have something to do with the marriage of Joannes Antonio Morgenstern and his bride's family, the Falks/Valks who also went by the name Felix and whose father was a skin dresser by trade.
                From the Belgian Archives I have dug up a record on Adrian Valks (son of Simon Valks) and his wife Jeanne (Jeanette) Kemeling recording their arrival in 1880 and 1886. On the 1880-record there is mention of a "Everaers Street" (if I'm reading it correctly), although I can't find any such address in London.
                In the 1886 document, Canon Street/Commercial Road is given as previous address.

For the record:
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  I've also found the family of Simon Valks in the Belgian Immigration records and it's quite a full entry that lists all the children mentioned in the marriages in the first post where the Morgensterns were witnesses. The Morgenstern and Valks/Falks (aka Felix) family may have known each other back in Belgium.

I also found the records for Adrianus and Marin's sisters- Petronella , and Wilhemina in the same Belgian records. The sisters were both working as servants. Petronella married and appears later on in the records under her married name too.
                  Ah, I see you already found them, Debs!

(well, better twice than not at all)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post

Ah, I see you already found them, Debs!

(well, better twice than not at all)
                    The address for the Valks was Everard Street, Juriaan.
                    It's a curious fact that the Jewish Morgensterns also lived on Everard St (close to Berner Street)

Comment

• Berner Street etc.jpg Everard Street just before Ellen Street.

Comment

It would be interesting to know where that brothel was and who ran it. It was supposed to be in Limehouse, not Fulham.

But as far as I know, her history is a complete blank between 1881 (when she was 4) and her marriage in 1897, apart from the statement by Grant Fenwick:
                        "I have heard a story that Wilhelmina, when she was a child, was brought up in a brothel in Limehouse."
                        https://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4921/8806.html (March 23, 2005)

There should be an entry somewhere in the 1891 census. She wasn't with her father, then calling himself Adrianus Felix and living at 20 Cordelia Street with his "wife" Elizabeth and daughter Anna. There could be entries in school registers.

As no one has found her, presumably she may be listed under a different name - perhaps even a different surname and a different given name, as her birth was registered under the given names Eslena Diena Wilhelmina according to the index, while in 1881 she was Wilhelmina L.
                        I've made up a timeline for Adrianus's side of the family from the notes I have, covering English records only. Obviously the bulk of this information has been found by other people and posted either here or on Casebook. I'll split it between two posts, one going up to 1891 and the other after 1891.

Part 1. 1877-1891

September quarter 1877. Daughter Eslena Diena Wilhelmina birth registered, mother's maiden name Smedts, Fulham registration district. (Born at 11 Stanley Road, Fulham.)

December quarter 1879. Son Peter Andoen birth registered, mother's maiden name Smits, Fulham registration district.

March quarter 1880. Son Peter Andoen died aged 0, Fulham registration district.

March quarter 1881. Daughter Peteronella (or Petronella) Caroliena birth registered, mother's maiden name Smits, Fulham registration district.

1881 census. As Adrianus L. Magestern, gas stoker, with wife Jeanette [?]S., daughters Johanna C., 7, Maria, 6, Wilhelmina L., 4, Petronella C., 3 months, and brother Maria A., at 43 Victoria Road, Fulham.
                        (In 1882 electoral register (qualifying date July 1881) John Crowhurst registered at 43 Victoria Road. In 1883-1885 (qualifying dates July 1882-1884) no one registered there. NB In the 1881 census, a Robert Crowhurst is head of the other household at number 43. In the 1883 electoral register a Robert Crowhurst is registered at number 44.)

24 December 1881. Maran Morgenstern, of 57 Victoria Road (also bride's address), gas stoker, married to Florence Charlotte Gilbert at St John Fulham. His father: Peter Morgenstern, police constable.

March quarter 1882. Daughter Peteroneld Carlin died aged 1, Fulham registration district.

22 June 1884. Wife Antonettea Morgenstern died in the German Hospital, Hackney. Described as Adrianus Lucas Morgenstern, gas stoker, of 31 Victoria Road Fulham.
                        (In 1882 electoral register (qualifying date July 1881) no one registered at 31 Victoria Road. In 1883-1885 (qualifying dates July 1882-1884) John Gilgrass registered there.)

April 1886. George Zecher was committed to prison for one month for assaulting John Morsten/George Morgenstein, a stoker, of Victoria Road [Fulham], in Factory Lane.
                        The complainant's brother, Mayran Morgenstine, was committed for one month for assaulting Frederick Stonnick.

1891 census. As Adrianus Felix, Gas Stoker, with wife Elizabeth, 27, Tailoress, b. London Cripplegate, and daughter Anna at 20 Cordelia Street, Bromley
                        [In electoral registers 1890-1893 (qualifying dates July 1889-1892) Frederick Faul is registered at 20 Cordelia Street. He is the head of the first household in the 1891 cenus.]

1891 census. [Daughter] Mary a servant at 57 King's Road, Chelsea

Comment

• Part 2. 1892-1934

1 August 1892. Daughter Anna Kornelia, of 7 Garford Street, married to George Biscardine at St Peter Limehouse. Her father: Adrianus Morgenstern, Gas Stoker.
                          (No one registered at this address in 1893 electoral register (qualifying date July 1892). In 1894 and 1895, Stephen Stoddart registered.)

17 October 1897. Daughter Wilhelmina Christina, of 15 Limehouse Causeway (also the address of the bridegroom), married to Thomas Fenwick at St Peter Limehouse. Her father: Thomas Morgenstern, Fur Dresser. Witnessed by Thomas Morgenstern and Marie Morgenstern.
                          (No one registered at this address in 1895 electoral register (qualifying date July 1894). In 1896-1898, William Tomkins registered. In 1899, no one registered.)

1901 census. As Thos Morganstern, widower, Gas Stoker, in a separate household of one room at 22 Joshua Street, Bromley.
                          At the same address Marie Morganstern, Shirt Machinist, is a boarder in the household of William Songer.

15 July 1901. Daughter Marie Morgenstern, of 22 Joshua Street (also the address of the bridegroom), married to Thomas Wheeler at the Uamvar Mission Room in the Parish of St Michaels Bromley. Witnessed by William Chas Songer, Susan Songer.

1911 census. As Adrian Morgenstern, Gas Stoker, Gas Works, Worker, in a separate household of one room at 22 Joshua Street, Bromley.

December quarter 1919. Adrians L. Morginstern married Mary A. E. Johnson, Poplar registration district.

In 1921 a garbled entry in the electoral register has "Abram" Morganstein (qualified for parliamentary through residence and local by occupation) and Adrian (qualified for both through husband's occupation) registered at 22 Joshua Street.

1921 census. As Thomas Morganstern, gas stoker, out of work, Gas & Light & Coke Co, with wife Mary, 43y 7m, b. Limehouse, charwoman, employed 216 [?]Devon Rd Bromley by Bow, in household of one room at 22 Joshua Street, Poplar E.

In electoral registers for 1926 (as Morganstein) and 1929 (as Morganstern) the entries correctly imply Adrian is the husband and Mary Ann is the wife.

March quarter 1932. Death of Adriaan L. Morgenstern, Poplar registration district.

March quarter 1934. Death of Mary A. E. Morgenstern aged 55, Poplar registration district.

Comment

• The timeline is very useful, Chris.

Comment

• Maran's marriage has been known of for a long time, but I didn't have details from the actual entry in my notes:

MaranMorgensternMarriage1881.jpg

Comment

• Also the 1921 census entry, in which Adrian is disguised as Thomas, as he sometimes was. It includes the name of his employer, though he was "out of work" at 72:

Morgenstern1921.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X