Hello Jerry. Good work.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Packers Stem
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
    Anna,

Here is an example of the press possibly mixing up accounts. Or not?

A flower here , a flower there.....
    Jerry , messaged you through casebook about something last week mate

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Anna,

Here is an example of the press possibly mixing up accounts. Or not?

Leave a comment:

• Packers Stem
    replied
    Should all be a warning to those happy to accept Joseph Barnett's 'peep' through the window ID as sound

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
    I never found an good explanations for the misidentifications. One even claimed the deceased--think it was the Eddowes case--had a certain scar on her leg or ankle from a bite by an adder years before. The deceased had the same/similar scar. Lots of weird stuff happened and there are no explanations. Considering how far these attempts went, is it any surprise that Mrs. Maxwell may have believed she saw MJK alive when she was already dead?
    Hi Anna.

I agree with your last sentence 100%.

I also believe the press was mixing up the accounts of these two women (Stride and Eddowes) which made things more difficult to decipher.

Leave a comment:

• Anna Morris
    replied
    I never found an good explanations for the misidentifications. One even claimed the deceased--think it was the Eddowes case--had a certain scar on her leg or ankle from a bite by an adder years before. The deceased had the same/similar scar. Lots of weird stuff happened and there are no explanations. Considering how far these attempts went, is it any surprise that Mrs. Maxwell may have believed she saw MJK alive when she was already dead?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Howard.

Yes, that would be interesting to know.

The whole process with the ID of Eddowes was strange. John Kelly mentioned Eliza Gold as a next of kin to a detective (presumably Sergeant Miles?) after he viewed the body at the mortuary. They headed to Thrawl Street (Miles and Kelly) with a little girl and sent the girl upstairs to inform Eliza Gold of the death of her sister. Why would the detective do this? Why didn't he go up himself? Or send John Kelly up?

After that, Eliza has trouble remembering that she had just seen her sister three weeks ago. First she stated she had not seen her for a long time. Then 4 or 5 months ago. When further pressed she admitted it was a few short weeks prior to the murder. Add to that the fact Annie Phillips had stopped by Thrawl Street yelling up to Elizas window inquiring if she had seen her mother. This was one week before the murder.

It's a conundrum, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Nice work, Jerry....thanks for sharing !

It'd be nice to know the name of the people who lived in that house on Old Street. It doesn't smack of being a lodging house, to me....the sister opening the door to this Conolly woman.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    started a topic Mistaken Identity

Mistaken Identity

This may be somewhat of a stretch, but, you know me.

Below are two accounts of "mistaken" identities in the Mitre Square murder. The first is by a woman named Conolly.

The second is an unknown woman claiming it was her sister-in-law with the name of Cunningham living in a lodging house in Dorset Street.

Then this from the Scotsman 1 October, 1888.

"Up to a late hour in the evening the woman had not been identified, although several people had gone to the Bishopsgate Street Police Station and had seen the clothing. Two women who inspected this, and also saw the corpse,were certain that it was the body of a woman named Jane Kelly, but subsequently, on inquiries being made, it was found that this individual was still alive."

Wouldn't it be something if the woman found alive in a lodging house in Dorset Street by the name of Cunningham, was actually Mary Jane Kelly? Wouldn't it also be something if Conolly in the first case was Mary Ann Conolly?
Working...
X