Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC E. Newberry (Retired) in 1911 Claimed To Have Locked up Kelly For Drunkenness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC E. Newberry (Retired) in 1911 Claimed To Have Locked up Kelly For Drunkenness

Interesting little fragment from the London Evening News dated 7 July 1911, mentioning a just retired PC named E. Newberry who- apparently- was stationed at Leman Street Police Station during the Autumn of Terror.

According to the article Newberry claimed to have once locked up "for drunkenness a woman named Kelly, who was one of the victims".

I have not yet done any research on this E. Newsberry or whether he at one time was working from Leman Street, but I would like to post the snippet here for the record anyway.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Interesting snippet of information there Jurriaan. Thanks for posting it.
    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Interesting find, Juriaan. There certainly was an Edward Newbury at Leman Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        Interesting find, Juriaan. There certainly was an Edward Newbury at Leman Street.
        Ah, Newbury! Thanks, Debs!

Comment

Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post

Ah, Newbury! Thanks, Debs!
          That was a typo, Juriaan! He was Newberry

Comment

Very interesting, Juriaan

The immediate question is which Kelly, MJK or Eddowes aka Kelly? I look forward to the research on Newberry and Leman arrests

Comment

The interesting thing is, who was the woman 'who had been molested and slightly injured by a person supposed to be Jack the Ripper' who accompanied Newberry and the plain clothes officers at night?

Comment

National archives:
                Name: Edward Newberry.

Warrant Number: 71781.

Date of Joining: 31 May 1886.

Date of Leaving: 5 June 1911.

Reason for Leaving: Resigned

The interesting thing is, who was the woman 'who had been molested and slightly injured by a person supposed to be Jack the Ripper' who accompanied Newberry and the plain clothes officers at night?
                Agreed, Debra. An interesting story to explore

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                  Very interesting, Juriaan

The immediate question is which Kelly, MJK or Eddowes aka Kelly? I look forward to the research on Newberry and Leman arrests
                  Yes, I thought of that. Good point.

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

Would there have survived any relevant records pertaining to drunk & disorderly incarcerations from LSPS, I wonder? If Newberry had resigned in June of 1911, he would have entered the service in 1886. That somewhat narrows down the parameters in which we may search..

Comment

Would there have survived any relevant records pertaining to drunk & disorderly incarcerations from LSPS, I wonder? If Newberry had resigned in June of 1911, he would have entered the service in 1886. That somewhat narrows down the parameters in which we may search..
                        Let me water down that last sentence. If Newberry started at-say- beginning of '86, we would still have to searchlight almost three years worth of documentation, if such even exists!
                        I'm only seriously researching the Kelly case since a year or so, but I can say one thing for certain: nothing is easy.

Comment

Let me water down that last sentence. If Newberry started at-say- beginning of '86, we would still have to searchlight almost three years worth of documentation, if such even exists!
                          I'm only seriously researching the Kelly case since a year or so, but I can say one thing for certain: nothing is easy.
                          Nice discovery, Jurriaan.

I had a quick peek and Newberry joined on 31 May 1886. His pension papers state that he received an injury when he was kicked in the ribs in July 1888.

There is an account of this assault in the Tower Hamlet Independent and East End Local Advertiser on 7 July. He is wrongly identified as being from K-Division.

Anyway, he was called to a pub on Samuel Street, St. George-in-the-East so does this mean that his beat was in SGE (?)

Comment

We know from past research published in the last A to Z that a woman named Mary Jane Kelley was charged and fined at the Thames magistrates court with being drunk and disorderly on 19 September 1888. This came from the court records at the LMA as these records are not digitised.

Comment

Unfortunately, it doesn’t exist. If the case came to court and/or or there was a press report, we might have a chance.

That said, I’m sure thousands of hours of googling have been undertaken in attempt to find a record of a Mary Kelly being arrested in the East End in the 1880s.

Perhaps, though, looking for the incident via Newberry might bring something to light. Do we know his badge number?

Comment

Working...
                              X