Mylett Family Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mylett Family Thread

Thread for material relevant and related to Rose Mylett's family.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Rose Mylett's daughter

Here is my post copied over from casebook.

Following on from the excellent research done by Bill Beadle in his dissertation
    The Real 'Rose' Mylett in which he mentions that Rose "had a child, a little girl, apparently residing in Sutton at the time of Catharine's death. According to press reports her name was 'Florrie' or 'Flossie'. Research has thus far failed to pinpoint her."
    (The caseboook biography on Rose Mylett says that her child was a son.)

Rob Clack and I have been doing some research into Rose Mylett, and using the information from Bill Beadle, that Rose's son may actually have been a daughter named Flossie or Florrie, we managed to locate a likely candidate for Rose and her daughter in 1881.

1881 census transcription details for: 40 Lincoln St, Mile End Old Town
    National Archive Reference:
    RG number: RG11 Piece: 485 Folio: 10 Page: 13

Reg. District: Mile End Old Town Sub District: Mile End Old Town Eastern
    Enum. District: Ecclesiastical District:
    Parish: Mile End Old Town City/Municipal Borough:

Address: 40 Lincoln St, Mile End Old Town
    County: Middlesex
    Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
    Year Occupation,
    Disability Where Born

DAVIS, Kate Head Married F 22 1859
    Whitechapel
    Middlesex

DAVIS, Florence B Daughter Single F 0 1881
    Mile End
    Middlesex

SOLMONDE, Blanche Lodger Single F 55 1826 Needlewoman
    France

We used this census information to locate a birth certificate for this Florence Davis, and the details from this confirm that Rose did in fact have a daughter.

Twelfth September 1880 at 6 Maidman Street
    Florence Beatrice, girl
    Father: Thomas Davis, commercial traveler
    mother: Kate Davis, formerly Mylett
    Informant: K Davis, mother, 6 Maidman Street Mile End
    registered twenty second October 1880.

This birth certificate also seems to confirm the fact that Rose was married, although we have been unable to trace a marriage certificate as yet.

In 1891 Florence appears on the census with the surname Mylett and not Davis.

Kensington And Chelsea District School Or Cottage Homes, Banstead Surrey
    National Archive Reference:
    RG number: RG12 Piece: 547 Folio: 142 Page: 22

Reg. District: Epsom Sub District: Epsom
    Enum. District: 14 Ecclesiastical District: Banstead
    Parish: Ewell City/Municipal Borough:

Address: Ewell, Banstead
    County: Surrey

Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
    Year Occupation,
    Disability Where Born

MYLETT, Florence Scholar Child F 12 1879
    Mile End
    London

Other workhouse records also confirm that Rose's daughter Florence was at one time sent to a Sutton School.

Comment

As always,Debs...as always...very nice work and thanks ever so much for sharing it
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

two children

Rob has given me permission to copy his latest casebook post on Rose's children over here too, for completeness.

Originally posted by Rob Clack
        While doing some background research into Rose, I came across a reference in The Manchester Times (29 December 1888) that Rose may have had other children beside Florence:

It is stated that the woman some time ago buried two of her children, leaving her with the one now in a school at Sutton.

Most contemporary sources I have seen just state that Rose only ever had a daughter.

With a lot of help from Debs, we managed to find out that Rose had at least one other child, a boy born in the Whitechapel Union Infirmary on the 29 June 1883.
        According to the admission and discharge registers, Rose entered the Infirmary (under the name Kate Davis) at 1:30 on the 29 June and gave birth at 5:30 to a boy named Henry. They stayed there for approximately 2 weeks and were discharged on the 13 July 1883. Henry, may unfortunately have died the following year. I'm still waiting for the birth and death certificates to be sure.
        There can't be any doubt that this is Rose as the name used is the one she used to register her daughters birth (Davis is the name of her husband). And the address she gave is her parents address at 46 Thomas Street, Whitechapel. Her father died February 1882 at this address.

Rob
        Rob has since sent me a copy of birth certificate and Henry was indeed the son of Thomas Davis, a commercial traveller, and Kate Davis, formerly Mylett.

Comment

Odd then that Dr Brownfield stated that Rose had never given birth when we now know she definitely had at least two children?

I'm also puzzled by something on Henry's birth certificate, can anyone answer this for me?
          Henry Davis was born on the 29th June 1883 at the Whitechapel Union Infirmary. His birth was registered on the 30th June 1883, the informant being Kate Davis (the mother)we know from the Infirmary records that Kate (Rose) was not discharged from there until 2 weeks after the birth on 13th July 1883. I am wondering how Rose managed to register the child if she was still officially a patient in the Infirmary? Were people allowed to come and go as they pleased from there once a patient?

I am asking mainly because we know from the records that Piggott was in the Whitechapel Infirmary at the time of the double event, would he have been allowed to come and go as he pleased once a patient?

Comment

I am asking mainly because we know from the records that Piggott was in the Whitechapel Infirmary at the time of the double event, would he have been allowed to come and go as he pleased once a patient?

Debs:

Thanks for this material and for the other material regarding Mike's servant girl in the Stephenson home. Double kisses and one for Clacky !............

The sentence I posted above from your post is food for thought.

It sort of sounds like something out of the Cleveland Torso Killer theory of Eliot Ness...or of course, a theory regarding D'Onston. Being able to get up and go about from a public or private institution....in this case, a workhouse.

Maybe we should ask Peter Higganbotham of the UK Workhouse site. Do you have his address?
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post

Debs:

Thanks for this material and for the other material regarding Mike's servant girl in the Stephenson home. Double kisses and one for Clacky !............

The sentence I posted above from your post is food for thought.

It sort of sounds like something out of the Cleveland Torso Killer theory of Eliot Ness...or of course, a theory regarding D'Onston. Being able to get up and go about from a public or private institution....in this case, a workhouse.*

Maybe we should ask Peter Higganbotham of the UK Workhouse site. Do you have his address?
              Thanks How,
              Good idea about asking peter Higganbotham, I don't have his address, no.

* Rob and I have talked about this, and even though the records for 1877 to 1885 are listed under the title of Whitechapel Workhouse, it was by then an Infirmary, South Grove we think then taking over the role of former Whitechapel Workhouse. Rob checked some entries from the time Rose was in the Infirmary in 1883 and some mention patients being 'sent from the workhouse' which wouldn't make much sense if this was also still a workhouse. I am not sure if that makes a difference in whether you could leave the premises without being discharged though.

Comment

Stay right there Debs...I'll get it.

here it is:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

I'll leave it for you to decide what to ask him,dear.

Its Peter Higginbotham...my mistake.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks How

Anytime Debs...my pleasure.

Comment

Catherine Mylett baptism

Roman Catholic baptism of Catherine Mylett at St Anne's Whitechapel in 1859.
                    Another Kelly and Davis coincidence. Catherine' mother had the maiden name Kelly. Catherine also went by the name Davis and said she was married to a man named Thomas Davis, although there is no evidence she ever was.

mylett.JPG

Catherine Mylett born 17th November 1859 and baptised 4th December 1859. Daughter of Henrici [Henry] and Margarita [Margaret] Mylett, maiden surname Kelly. Godfather Jacobus [James] Flannagan, Godmother Teresa Flannagan.

Comment

Thanks very much for sharing, Debs !

XXXXX
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                      X