Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK - some of those moths saw service with the Spitalfields silk weavers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      OK - some of those moths saw service with the Spitalfields silk weavers.
      How still wears a pair of the 'Old Glory' boxer shorts they worked on.

Comment

• The thread has its fans.....

To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

• Free BMD has a birth and a death record for male Pitts (no forenames) in Leicester in Q2 1863. On the birth record the mother's maiden name is blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            The thread has its fans.....

That's encouraging, How.

Comment

• The moths have been sacrificed for the Leicester records:

image.jpeg

I've ordered the certs as PDFs. I've never done that before.

Comment

• It's a first for the moths too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  The moths have been sacrificed for the Leicester records:

[ATTACH]18578[/ATTACH]

I've ordered the certs as PDFs. I've never done that before.
                  I've ordered the PDF's before in other research but I was disappointed that they still took the same amount of time to come!

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                    I've ordered the PDF's before in other research but I was disappointed that they still took the same amount of time to come!
                    Damn! That was the only reason I opted for the PDF, I assumed it would arrive on the day of dispatch.

BTW, there was also a Harry William Pitts, no mother's maiden name, born Q2 1863, died Q3 1863 in Leicester.

Comment

• There was a Harry William Pitts baptised Sept 4th 1863 - parents Henry and Caroline.

Comment

• I posted this a few years ago but was wondering if Alice may have lived in Tottenham at some point? It has been mentioned she lived with a blind man or was married to a blind man who played the concertina in the streets. McCormack mentioned this was just before he had met her.

Echo, July 18, 1889

Promise to meet a man

Another woman who volunteered a statement was Margaret O'Brien, who resides at Tenpenny's lodging-house. At half-past seven on the previous evening the deceased was sitting in the kitchen with O'Brien and others. She was talkative, but O'Brien did not notice that Alice had betrayed any signs of having drunk too much. During the conversation she told them that she had had a pint of stout-and-mild with a man whom she knew at Tottenham that afternoon in the public-house adjoining the Cambridge Music Hall, and that she was going back to the same place, as she had promised to meet him again. Just as she was on the point of leaving, deceased took a short clay pipe which she had been smoking out of her mouth and handed it to Mrs. O'Brien, with the remark, "Keep it til I come home." She then went out, and witness heard nothing more of her till the morning. Mrs. O'Brien here produced the pipe, a short and somewhat blackened clay, which had been confided to her care, and showed it to her interviewer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                          There was a Harry William Pitts baptised Sept 4th 1863 - parents Henry and Caroline.
                          So he may have died within a month of being Christened?

Comment

• The baptism may actually have been rushed through against that eventuality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                              I posted this a few years ago but was wondering if Alice may have lived in Tottenham at some point? It has been mentioned she lived with a blind man or was married to a blind man who played the concertina in the streets. McCormack mentioned this was just before he had met her.

Echo, July 18, 1889

Promise to meet a man

Another woman who volunteered a statement was Margaret O'Brien, who resides at Tenpenny's lodging-house. At half-past seven on the previous evening the deceased was sitting in the kitchen with O'Brien and others. She was talkative, but O'Brien did not notice that Alice had betrayed any signs of having drunk too much. During the conversation she told them that she had had a pint of stout-and-mild with a man whom she knew at Tottenham that afternoon in the public-house adjoining the Cambridge Music Hall, and that she was going back to the same place, as she had promised to meet him again. Just as she was on the point of leaving, deceased took a short clay pipe which she had been smoking out of her mouth and handed it to Mrs. O'Brien, with the remark, "Keep it til I come home." She then went out, and witness heard nothing more of her till the morning. Mrs. O'Brien here produced the pipe, a short and somewhat blackened clay, which had been confided to her care, and showed it to her interviewer.
                              Thanks for that, Jerry.

I'm sure one of the characters you were interested in a few months back had a Peterborough background?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                                Thanks for that, Jerry.

I'm sure one of the characters you were interested in a few months back had a Peterborough background?
                                Hi Gary,

Yes, but I wasn't thinking of him. Wildbore was born in the Peterborough district and lived in Tottenham, though. I was thinking more along the lines that Alice and Joseph Kinsey may have lived there at some point?

Comment

Working...
                                X