Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumbergate Almshouses

image.jpeg

Comment

• Cathedral/Minster Precincts

Thanks Gary,

Speaking of pictures.

Here is a link (http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/...tre/cathedral/)
      to some pictures of the Cathedral Precincts, Peterborough and an old map of the area from Old maps online. This map is an OS from 1885/1886.

Comment

• Here is a Goad map of Joseph Street, Leicester. Not positive it is the correct Joseph Street or not.

Comment

• Thanks, Jerry!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Thanks, Jerry!
            No problem, Gary!

Here is the area around Joseph Street. Goad maps are odd sometimes as they seem to get turned around a bit. Joseph Street is at the bottom of this map in the pink.

Comment

• If we had an exact address for Kensey on Causeway Lane in Leicester we could probably pinpoint the exact location on this Goad map. (referring to post #91 by Gary: "Yes, as Kensey, aged 9 in Causeway Lane, Leicester. Father, George, a coal carrier and mother, Sarah, a glover. George's occupation on the wedding cert was coal higgler.")

Comment

• Joseph St

Courtesy of Vanished Leicester
                http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/c...on/p15407coll5

Comment

• Thanks, Debs.

Strange building. Looks like a normal end of terrace house from the front, but the windows at the side look industrial.

Comment

• Thanks Debs !
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact [email protected]

Comment

• Update:

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                      The following list of surnames and their variant spellings applied to Alice (or the Alices) comes from various sources. Some of course may be journalistic inventions or errors. If anyone comes across any more, please post them and I'll update the list.

Anderson
                      Baxter
                      Bryant
                      Kell
                      Kelly
                      Kelley
                      Kinsey
                      Mackenzie
                      McCormac
                      McCormack
                      McKensey
                      McKenzie
                      M'Kenzie
                      Murrell
                      Pits
                      Pitts
                      Riley
                      Taylor

Note: I included McCormack because even though I'd never seen her referred to as such, she was said to have lived with John McCormack 'as his wife', so presumably some thought of her as 'Mrs McCormack'. And Murrell comes from a list produced by Chris Scott on Casebook. I haven't seen it myself, but if it's on Chris's list, it's good enough for me.

Comment

• There's probably somewhere a Pitt and a McKinsey though I haven't seen it as far as I recall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                          There's probably somewhere a Pitt and a McKinsey though I haven't seen it as far as I recall.
                          There's certainly a Kensey for the family she married into - before her time.

I've been thinking about the correlations between Alice Pitts and Alice McKenzie, leaving aside the press reports, and come up with:

Same forename
                          Similar age
                          Same place of origin
                          Same father's occupation
                          Same marital status
                          Same husband's forename
                          Same husband's occupation
                          Similarity of Kinsey to McKensey

These would be interesting enough in their own right, wouldn't they, without the press reports? If someone had landed on the Wandsworth prison register for Alice 'McKensey' and picked up on the thumb injury, they might have gone down the Kensey/Kinsey route and found a daughter of a Peterborough postman who seems to disappear about the time McKensey/McKenzie turns up in London.

Comment

• I'm intrigued by the Rose Annie Kinsey who died in Leicester, aged 0, in Q3, 1872. Can't seem to find her birth.

Comment

• Yes I think you've got the right one.

Comment

• I think it sometimes happened that infants who died immediately had only their deaths registered.

Comment

Working...
                                X