Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing I would mention is that both the Peterborough tramp and Alice Pitts had hazel eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      I think that might be supposed to be Keate St, Jerry. One of the Whitechapel Infirmary admissions gave her address as 11 Keate St IIIRC
      The entry I was thinking of gave her address as 6 or 8 Lower Keate Street rrather than 11.

Comment

• The Male Pitts certs arrived this morning. The mother was a Caroline Pitts. The child was born on 19/5/1863 at 6, St George Street, East Leicester and died at 8 hours. COD was premature birth.

Not a word to the moths...

Comment

• At that address in 1861 were Jane Pitts, 63, widow, lodging house keeper and her daughter Bates M (Maria) Pitts, 23, servant, plus 2 male lodgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
            At that address in 1861 were Jane Pitts, 63, widow, lodging house keeper and her daughter Bates M (Maria) Pitts, 23, servant, plus 2 male lodgers.
            Leicester born?

Comment

• I've now sent off for Alice's birth, Joseph's death, John Joseph's birth and death. The moths are packing their bags. Some are grumbling, 'We were never treated like this at Mr Cates' place', others are singing 'You take the high road...'

Comment

• Mother born Rutland Barrowden(?), daughter born Loddington Leicestershire.

A disconsolate Mr Cates was singing "Will ye no come back again?" when he gave a cry of joy as five thousand moths flew in through the window.

Comment

• Jane Pitts, who had a daughter Bates Maria Pitts, had maiden name......Bates.

Could be her in 1841, age 40, with several daughters including Maria aged 3.

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are still missing Alice in the 1871 and 1881 censuses.

It's possible she was still Leicester in 1871 after the death of Joseph in 1867. Or perhaps she went home to Peterborough for a while before the bright lights of London beckoned.

Comment

• As we have seen elsewhere, in 1871 Frederick John Wildbore was living with his uncle Michael in Leicestershire. Their next door neighbours were named Pitts.

I also notice that there were Wildbores in Castor and Ailsworth, the two places mentioned as being on Charles Pitts' postal route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        I think that might be supposed to be Keate St, Jerry. One of the Whitechapel Infirmary admissions gave her address as 11 Keate St IIIRC
                        Thanks, Debs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          As we have seen elsewhere, in 1871 Frederick John Wildbore was living with his uncle Michael in Leicestershire. Their next door neighbours were named Pitts.

I also notice that there were Wildbores in Castor and Ailsworth, the two places mentioned as being on Charles Pitts' postal route.
                          Thank you, Gary.

I think the Wildbores ran the Dog and Gun pub in Keyham. I know Michael was listed living there in an earlier census. I believe the family ran the place for quite a while. Up until about 1881 or so. Michael Wildbore was also listed as a schoolmaster. Do we know which school in Leicester he was working?

Comment

• See "History" on this page.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LEI/Keyham

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                              Thank you, Gary.

I think the Wildbores ran the Dog and Gun pub in Keyham. I know Michael was listed living there in an earlier census. I believe the family ran the place for quite a while. Up until about 1881 or so. Michael Wildbore was also listed as a schoolmaster. Do we know which school in Leicester he was working?
                              I'm not sure, Jerry.

Actually the Pitts family were a couple of residences away rather than 'next door'. The head of the household, Matthias Pitts, was a gamekeeper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                                Gary

What a great find, that Boston Guardian piece !!!
                                Indeed...outstanding, Gary!
                                Best Wishes,
                                Cris Malone

Comment

Working...
                                X