Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Excellent, thanks Gary, and thanks for sharing too.
    I thought it was her but had lost track of the thread. Thanks for confirming.

    Great work too by all, and good for Alice`s memory, as she is no longer just a grainy mortuary photo.

    Comment


    • Alice's dad, Charles, while living in the Peterborough Minster Precints between the late 1830s and the late 1870s, had various occupations, including:

      1841: Servant
      1845: Footman
      1851: Post Office Messenger
      1861: Post Office Messenger
      1871: Gardener

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jon Simons View Post
        Excellent, thanks Gary, and thanks for sharing too.
        I thought it was her but had lost track of the thread. Thanks for confirming.

        Great work too by all, and good for Alice`s memory, as she is no longer just a grainy mortuary photo.
        Hi Jon,

        I am putting together a timeline for Alice, which should be helpful.

        I like to think that she is 'our' Alice, in the sense that she is someone we have an academic interest in and, I feel, a certain emotional tie to. So much for the perceived 'misogyny' that is rife in our field! At some point I intend to pay a visit to Peterborough in her memory.

        Gary

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Hi Jon,

          I am putting together a timeline for Alice, which should be helpful.

          I like to think that she is 'our' Alice, in the sense that she is someone we have an academic interest in and, I feel, a certain emotional tie to. So much for the perceived 'misogyny' that is rife in our field! At some point I intend to pay a visit to Peterborough in her memory.

          Gary
          Fantastic, I love timelines. Will look forward to that. Especially, addresses connected to her, so we can try and find some old photos.

          Yes, after spending some intense time researching my article on her murder (I did look for her too but without success obviously) I too, feel a tie to her, more than any of the other Whitechapel victims, and really pleased you found her in history.

          You should contact a Peterborough newspaper with your findings.

          Buzzin !!!

          Comment


          • Just posting this. The whole document's on Ancestry.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • What did I say? This man has talent!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                What did I say? This man has talent!
                Joking apart, Rob, this is a very interesting find. Could this be the son Alice 'McKenzie' claimed lived in America?

                Comment


                • I think he was Thomas Joseph Kinsey? I don't have access to the US records.

                  Comment


                  • This was the TJ I spotted. Same day (different year) of birth. Wrong parents, obviously.

                    image.jpeg

                    Comment


                    • Robert: That looks wonderful! Too bad parents' names are not given.

                      (If everyone keeps digging, what's the chance some of this will tie into the Kinsey Reports or Kinsey Institute? This is kind of a tongue in cheek comment but Kinsey is not a real common name and nobody knows where research will go.)
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                      Comment


                      • Hi Gary


                        They may be the same. There is a Thomas Kinsey born c1861 in the 1871 census, father Thomas mother Sarah. They were living Wistow Leicestershire. On checking on the GRO I found their children had mother Brealey, which is close to Brady. There was a Thomas Kinsey/Sarah Brealey marriage in 1854. However, Thomas was registered last quarter 1860. That's a bit of a gap.


                        I thought that normally you would expect Alice to spin a sob story - her son went down on the Princess Alice or whatever. So I wondered if there was anything in the America story.


                        Here is the blacksmith in 1900, anyway.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • Anna : Kinsey reports - tongue in cheek? Tut, tut!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jon Simons View Post
                            Fantastic, I love timelines. Will look forward to that. Especially, addresses connected to her, so we can try and find some old photos.

                            Yes, after spending some intense time researching my article on her murder (I did look for her too but without success obviously) I too, feel a tie to her, more than any of the other Whitechapel victims, and really pleased you found her in history.

                            You should contact a Peterborough newspaper with your findings.

                            Buzzin !!!
                            I've had no response from the Peterborough local history people so far. I purposely avoided use of the R word, but I did mention that their Alice may have come to a sticky end in Whitechapel. A local paper might be more interested and it might trigger some useful local interest.

                            Comment


                            • Hi Rob,

                              Especially if the son in question was Joseph James and Alice felt responsible for not keeping him adequately nourished. She might well have felt the need to spin the story into something more positive.

                              Gary

                              Comment


                              • Timeline

                                The first error on the timeline was spotted by me (thank gawd!). I initially wrote 1888 as the year of Alice's death.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X