Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi RJ,

It’s great that someone else is on the case. I’ve only recently been focussing on Alice’s Spitalfields period and her death.

Yes, I wondered about the scar under the eye. Cicatrises are scars, I think, but I was unable to find out what ‘dresum’ means. Do you have any idea?

Comment

• All I could ever figure is Phillips meant "Dorsum of the left forearm." I can't find dresum in any medical book, but the medicos frequently refer to the dorsum of this and the dorsum that, when describing the anatomy.

I haven't seen the original handwritten report. Maybe Dr. P's handwriting was terrible, which seems to be a common trait of the medical profession.

Comment

• Of course, in my suspicious, 'Ripperlogical' mind, I interpret three distinct scars on the back of Alice's forearm with wounds from a previous and as-yet-to-be discovered knife attack

;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
          Of course, in my suspicious, 'Ripperlogical' mind, I interpret three distinct scars on the back of Alice's forearm with wounds from a previous and as-yet-to-be discovered knife attack

;-)
          And I was wondering, if it had meant the inner forearm, the scars may have been evidence of a failed suicide attempt.

Shows what a crap Ripperologist I am.

Comment

• Well, here's a mystery that maybe you can clear up, Gary. I was scratching my head about it last night before bed, but couldn't figure out what it meant.

It concerns the brother George Palmer, the ropemaker, who punched Alice in 1869. [Note: in post #414 you point out that she's wandering Mile-End after the assault].

The 1871 shows a George Palmer, ropemaker, right age, living at No. 1 Albert Street, Mile-End with his sister-in-law, Jane Palmer.

All well & good, but who the heck is she?

As far as I can tell, George had three brothers. Ben, William, and John. William married an Ellen Salter in 1870, and John would marry a Mary Anne Jones a few months later.

That only leaves Ben, doesn't it? But he's off with Alice.

And on the next page of Jane Palmer's 1871 entry, it shows that she has a 7 year-old son....Benjamin.

What, ho?

Was Benjamin Palmer traipsing around and living with Alice McKenzie when he was already married to this nurse, Jane?

She must have been remarkably accommodating if she let his little brother crash at her digs.

Geo Palmer 1871 1 Albert Street Mile End.JPG

Comment

• I came to the conclusion that Jane may have been Ben’s common-law wife (i.e. not his wife at all). I think her maiden name may have been Ingram, but I can’t find a marriage between the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                I came to the conclusion that Jane may have been Ben’s common-law wife (i.e. not his wife at all). I think her maiden name may have been Ingram, but I can’t find a marriage between the two.
                There was also a Sarah in 1861 who was supposedly Ben’s wife. Then there’s Alice in 1871 and ‘Mrs Palmer’ in 1881.

Comment

• Looks like Ben Jr married Fanny Bennett in Stepney in 1889. His father was recorded as Benjamin (Deceased)

Comment

Working...
                  X