Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could These Be Alice Mackenzie's Relatives ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    Folks, has Joseph Kinsey yet been located in the censuses?
    Yes, as Kensey, aged 9 in Causeway Lane, Leicester. Father, George, a coal carrier and mother, Sarah, a glover. George's occupation on the wedding cert was coal higgler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Yes, as Kensey, aged 9 in Causeway Lane, Leicester. Father, George, a coal carrier and mother, Sarah, a glover. George's occupation on the wedding cert was coal higgler.
      Our posts crossed, Debs.

I've had no luck with him in 1861 so far.

Comment

Thanks, Gary.

As an aside; I noticed that the names George and Joseph Kinsey keep popping up in Whitechapel too. The surname is not that common so I wondered if Alice may have come to Whitechapel because some of her husband's relatives were there?

Comment

Joseph's father George Kinsey was still alive in 1856 when older son John Burton married Charlotte Balesworth at All Saints Leicestershire.

Comment

I saw the 1861 entry that Robert must have looked at and the discrepancy is the age of Joseph in that census. He's listed as 12 but he is given an occupation of apprentice chair maker. Everything else tallies, the address, Sarah's occupation, so it looks like a mistake? Unless Joseph's age in 1851 (which I couldn't read) was 1 and not 9? That would mean the Joseph born in 1841 had died.

I wouldn't rule out that George Kinsey died in 1861 either. We know he was still alive in 1856 but dead by 61 so that GRO death looks right apart from the age 0 given. Maybe it's a mistake? The original index image doesn't have an age on like some do.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
              Also, with the record you already mentioned as Alice Taylor or Mc Kinsey in 1878 there is the same puzzle we encountered before with Catherine Eddowes in these records isn't there?
              Mc Kinsey/Taylor supposedly had a previous conviction 4th April 1877 entry number 2499. In the 1877 register for Wandsworth there is an entry 2499 on 4th April but again, it's for a woman other than McKenzie. The entry in 77 relates to a young woman of 17 with no similarities.
              Originally posted by Debra Arif
              Ah! Simple explanation-the two separate pages of records are not aligned correctly when stitched together in the one page image and so that refers to the woman above whose details match perfectly! I wonder if that happened with the Eddowes record too?
              I checked Eddowes entry again and that's exactly what happened in that case too. I posted the details to the Eddowes in Wandsworth thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                All roads lead to Wandsworth?

On 26th June, 1878, Alice Taylor or McKensey, a 32-year-old laundress, was sentenced at Southwark police court to 14 days for being a 'disorderly pauper'. She had 2 previous convictions, the most recent being 7 days on 4/4/77.

Her distinguishing mark was a missing thumb tip.
                Wandsworth 77 to boot?!
                I was looking for Ada Tradigan, the woman I thought was highly likely to be Ada Wilson, an alias she used when sent down in the 70's. I haven't checked it all out thoroughly but it looks like there was an Ada Wilson convicted in 77 sent to Wandsworth. I'll have to dig out my old research to clarify though. I can't remember what year Ada Drew/Tradigan/Wison was sent down as Ada Wilson but it was definitely late 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                  There's a report of an Alice McKenzie charged with begging in Peterborough in January 89. The judge let her off.
                  Robert,

That is probably Alice. This is from Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser
                  Friday, 19 July 1889
                  . 6 months prior to July is about January 1889.

The Peterborough police said that Alice MacKenzie, who was murdered in Castle Alley, was not a native of that city. Six months ago she was arrested there on a charge of vagrancy, being intoxicated when arrested. Nothing was previously known of her. She said she came from Scotland.

Comment

Not sure which family McCormack was referring to here (Kinsey or Pitt), but it may be the reason Alice was traveling to and from Peterborough.

Daily Gleaner (Jamaica)
                    26 July 1889

At ten o'clock the woman was identified. John McCormack, a porter, said he lived with the woman six years. She was forty years old and was born at Peterborough. Her family lived there until a month ago. They lived in a furnished room in Whitechapel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                      Wandsworth 77 to boot?!
                      I was looking for Ada Tradigan, the woman I thought was highly likely to be Ada Wilson, an alias she used when sent down in the 70's. I haven't checked it all out thoroughly but it looks like there was an Ada Wilson convicted in 77 sent to Wandsworth. I'll have to dig out my old research to clarify though. I can't remember what year Ada Drew/Tradigan/Wison was sent down as Ada Wilson but it was definitely late 70's.
                      Yes, it was 1877 she was sent down under the alias Ada Wilson. The dates in 1877 don't tally exactly but Ada Tradigan's licence does say she was in Wandsworth at some point. Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                        Robert,

That is probably Alice. This is from Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser
                        Friday, 19 July 1889
                        . 6 months prior to July is about January 1889.

The Peterborough police said that Alice MacKenzie, who was murdered in Castle Alley, was not a native of that city. Six months ago she was arrested there on a charge of vagrancy, being intoxicated when arrested. Nothing was previously known of her. She said she came from Scotland.
                        I wonder if Alice Kinsey adopted a Scottish persona similar to how MJK was Irish except everyone kept thinking she was Welsh. We now have (Mac)K(e)insey and a claim to be from Scotland.

(I previously looked up Peterboro and thought I had found that town up near the Scottish border but on the English side. Is there another Peterboro? Or a town that sounds like that?)
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Thanks everyone!

Comment

• Ada Tradagan

Debra
                            Ada Tradagan was sentenced to 10 years in 1877 here is a picture of her

Pat....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post
                              Debra
                              Ada Tradagan was sentenced to 10 years in 1877 here is a picture of her

Pat....
                              Thanks Pat. Here's my research on her as a possible ID for Ada Wilson
                              It did once include the picture but Photobucket put an end to that. How included the pic in his Ripperologist article on his stable of researchers a year or two back.
                              https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread...6340&styleid=1

Comment

• How's 'stable'
                                Blame that on a week of Cheltenham culminating in St Patricks Day!

Comment

Working...
                                X