X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may not be very legible...

EED8E31D-6E6C-403A-A544-76702D0244BB.jpeg

Comment

PC Neve 101H is the man who seems to have ID?d Alice as a prostitute. At her inquest he claimed to have known her for about a year and had seen her - often drunk - talking to men in the streets. Some accounts have him saying this was before 10/11 at night, others at around that time. Neve summed Alice up as a ?bad character?.

Given that Alice was with McCormack and he was apparently in stable employment, she didn?t need to sell herself to pay for her doss or food. But perhaps her thirst was greater than McCormack?s wages could support, and this led her to being over friendly with men who might stand her a drink or two. That would certainly gel with McCormack?s statement that Alice wasn?t a prostitute in the ?usual sense of the term? (or words to that effect).

I?m inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt, though my opinion of her would in no way be diminished if she did regularly solicit strangers to feed her addiction.

Comment

To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Maybe the fine line is whether or not a woman, an unfortunate, receives money for her favors? If a fellow buys drinks for a woman and she later takes a stroll with him down a dimly lit passage, is it prostitution in the broader sense? Perhaps in the real time it is intimate socializing with benefits for both sides?
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
            Maybe the fine line is whether or not a woman, an unfortunate, receives money for her favors? If a fellow buys drinks for a woman and she later takes a stroll with him down a dimly lit passage, is it prostitution in the broader sense? Perhaps in the real time it is intimate socializing with benefits for both sides?
            Hi Anna,

That might be what John McCormack was getting at when he said Alice wasn't a prostitute in the normal sense of the word. Of course, if the payment in kind is understood by both parties from the outset it's not much different from a cash transaction.

I wonder whether the men PC Neve saw Alice approaching were complete strangers or men she knew to some extent.

Gary

Comment

Anna, Gary

I'd think that it would be more accurate to assume an act of prostitution was being conducted if the woman asks for money or the man offers money to the woman before anything else transpires. Buying a girl a drink and then getting some afterwards happens all the time....and that isn't prostitution in the technical sense.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                Anna, Gary

I'd think that it would be more accurate to assume an act of prostitution was being conducted if the woman asks for money or the man offers money to the woman before anything else transpires. Buying a girl a drink and then getting some afterwards happens all the time....and that isn't prostitution in the technical sense.
                But if the man and the woman understand from the outset that the drinks will be paid for by a trip to an alley? I wonder if the men Neve saw Alice approaching were strangers to her or men she knew.

Comment

Gary:

Yeah, it's the same thing...if they know from the git-go where that drink or drinks will lead 'em.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I wonder why Neve was called to give evidence at Alice?s inquest. The only things of relevance he seems to have added was his opinion that she was a drinker and a prostitute.

Police-constable George Neve, 101 H, stated:- About five minutes to 1 I met the sergeant in Commercial-street. He said, "Hurry up into Castle-alley. There has been a murder done; go and search all round." I searched all round, but did not find anything. It was all quiet. I then went into Castle-alley, to where the body was lying. I searched the conveyances in Castle Alley and looked over the hoarding, but could see no trace of any one about. I saw no one move and heard no sound.

[Coroner] Did you know the deceased? - I have known her about the place for 12 months, and have seen her the worse for drink.

[Coroner] Have you ever seen her about at night? - Between 10 and 11 o'clock. It was my opinion she was a prostitute. I have seen her talking to men. I have seen her in Gun-street, Brick-lane, and Dorset-street. I did not know where she lived. I had not seen her before that evening. In fact, I had not seen her for about a fortnight.

Was there not another policeman who knew her better - knew where she lived, knew for sure she was a prostitute?

Comment

Working...
                    X