Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ameer Ben Ali's Assault On An Inmate ( 1898 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ameer Ben Ali's Assault On An Inmate ( 1898 )

Rochester Democrat And Chronicle
    January 17, 1898

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Thanks, Howard. Very interesting. Seems Ben Ali was more disturbed than most.

I didn't know there was already an application for a pardon that early. "Some time ago" would make it at least 1897.

Comment

Kattrup:
      That bit about the early pardon application is news to me too.
      Also interesting ( to me at least ) is the comment regarding Frenchy taking one of his hallucinations...as if there were earlier incidents.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How.

This article appeared in several other newspapers at the time. Many newspapers carried the story of the attack with minor variations in facts. The name of the victim was given as both "Greef" and "Green." Also his age was given as "16" years, "17" years and "32" years. It should also be noted that Ben Ali's insanity seems to have taken the form of depression rather than some sort of dangerous mania or violent "hallucinations."

As for the "early" pardon the first time a sitting Governor was asked to pardon Ben Ali was in mid-July, 1891, or, a little more than a week after he was found guilty of the murder of Brown. Every sitting Governor from then on, until Governor Odell actually did pardon him, was petitioned for a pardon.

Wolf.

Comment

Thanks Wolf....although I have examined newspapers from 1898, this was the first I'd heard or seen of this incident. Thanks for the additional information, too.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
          X