• Show
Clear All

• The Story Of The 'Shakespeare Murder Key' 1901

Located by Nina Brown

New York Sun
    June 1, 1901

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

For starters, one can only imagine what would have happened if George Damon had died and not come forward with the key. Ameer Ben Ali would have most likely spent the rest of his life behind bars. To know Damon knew he had the key yet resisted coming forward because he thought little of the convicted, yet innocent,man is unsettling.

To think that the key to a man's personal freedom sat in a jewelry box and that knowledge of the missing key existed back in 1891, 11 years before Ali was released is nauseating.

Another thought and just a thought : With the knowledge that George Damon was 48 at the time of Brown's murder, it makes one wonder what he looked like. I think you get my drift.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The two Governors of New York who turned down the efforts to release Ameer Ben Ali.....Frank Black and Theodore Roosevelt.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        For starters, one can only imagine what would have happened if George Damon had died and not come forward with the key. Ameer Ben Ali would have most likely spent the rest of his life behind bars. To know Damon knew he had the key yet resisted coming forward because he thought little of the convicted, yet innocent,man is unsettling.

To think that the key to a man's personal freedom sat in a jewelry box and that knowledge of the missing key existed back in 1891, 11 years before Ali was released is nauseating.

Another thought and just a thought : With the knowledge that George Damon was 48 at the time of Brown's murder, it makes one wonder what he looked like. I think you get my drift.
        Yes, Damon certainly should have acted sooner, but he wasn’t actually the only one. His servant girl, his wife, an employee and his friend Mr Lee all knew of the key as well, and it was Lee who convinced him to stay silent. All because Frenchy was the type who belonged in prison anyway. Real nice.

Has the picture of the key which the Sun apparently published been found, by the way?

Comment

Kattrup:

There's an etching of the key in one of the papers...I'll go get it today.

I disagree with you slightly on the responsibility of turning the key in...we've got to consider the times. That was the man of the house's responsibility, not his wife or servant or friend. IMHO.

I have to admit that one thing bothered me yesterday about all this aside from the wrongful imprisonment...and that was a person I greatly admire, Teddy Roosevelt, may have known about the key and didn't act upon it while in office.. It made me wonder whether it was a decision based on his political aspirations. He became Vice President 3 months after his term as Governor expired.

Oh well. He's still my man.

I'll look for that sketch, Katt.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Here you go, Kattrup. It's all we have so far.
            It was in a New York Sun article.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              I disagree with you slightly on the responsibility of turning the key in...we've got to consider the times. That was the man of the house's responsibility, not his wife or servant or friend. IMHO.
              Yes, I agree, but I was just thinking in general how that endemic or systematic racism or what one might call it was part of what made the false conviction possible in the first place - from police detectives to judge and jurors, the Damon household and perhaps other witnesses too.

Thanks for the picture of the key, I had read it as an actual photo, the drawing seems rather useless for identifying a specific key - it looks like any other old-fashioned key!

Comment

Yes, I agree, but I was just thinking in general how that endemic or systematic racism or what one might call it was part of what made the false conviction possible in the first place
                -Kattrup-

Absolutely. No argument there, amigo. New York State had electrocuted William Kemmler the year before and it wouldn't have been surprising if the powers-that-were weren't busy shaving Ali's legs for the electric chair early on.

As prevalent and systemic injustice was towards ( in most cases ) non-Whites, the people arguing hard for Ali were White. The Danish-American Jacob Riis being one of the most prominent. Even he held Nordicist views in terms of race, but didn't allow them to interfere with him doing the right thing.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                X