Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evolution of a Killer

Hi All,

This is my first night on the forum, so forgive me if (as is likely), something like this has been raised before.

I have recently gotten back in to Ripperology after a bit of a respite.

This is sort of pop psychology, though genuine nonetheless (I do have a psychology A level), but especially in sexually motivated cases, the violence and ambition of serial murders only increases (Stride is an exception because he was interrupted), so I am sure beyond doubt that Mary Kelly is the last possible Ripper victim because nothing close to the violence and savagery was seen since.

But at the other end, it's struck me that the treatment of Polly Nicholls is not that of a first murder. The Ripper would doubtless have abused or attacked women before Nicholls, but also may have killed someone in a more basic way.

That's where Tabram comes in. I'm by no means sure she's a victim, but at the minute, i'm around 65% sure she was. A criticism for her inclusion in the canon is that the method was different (i.e. her throught wasn't obviously slit), but I think, in some ways, this is actually evidence that makes her MORE likely as a victim.

The proximity to the other victims both in terms of time, geography, and roughly the way she was found. Her throat wasn't cut, but from what I can tell, it was mutilation he really cared about, not method (he may have later slit throats as an easier and more efficient method). The form of mutilation really appears to be an embryonic form of his later mutilations and the genital mutilation especially points to the killer of Tabram being linked to the canonical 5.

I think it is unlikely, ultimately, that two different people would commit two relatively similar murders so close to each other, both with genital mutilation, within three weeks of each other.

I don't know whether Tabram is the first 'victim' of the Ripper, but I do believe she was the prototypical one and certainly the first possible murder victim specifically. None of the victims I am aware of before her seem credible to me.

As I say, I imagine this has been discussed before, but i'd be interested in your thoughts.

David:

If possible, give this a look down the road :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bank-Holiday...oliday+murders

Tom Wescott is a member of JTRForums too.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

The book looks very interesting. I'm going to need to build a small library!

I never understand Emma Smith being included as a potential victim, but there must be some sort of argument here.

Comment

In the beginning, David...the first murders ( Smith, Tabram, and even Nichols..) were thought by some at the time to be committed by more than one person ( as in a gang). Newspapers brought up the gang-theory at the time of the Nichols Murder....obviously after two other local brutal murders occurred.
        That's a possible reason for the inclusion. Not the only possibility,though.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by David Jackson View Post

I never understand Emma Smith being included as a potential victim, but there must be some sort of argument here.
          Hi David and welcome!

I am inclined to include Tabram as a ripper victim because, like you, I can't quite see Nichols as this man's first ever serious (okay, fatal) attack on a woman in that tiny area - particularly if he was a local man, or was often there on other business. I also tend to think he was familiar with the unfortunate population and had good and bad experiences accordingly. One really bad experience could have produced a violent response (and I'm not blaming the women here for his inner demons. )

If I include Tabram, however, I feel almost bound to include Emma Smith too, as the attack on her took place just a few seconds' walk away from that on Tabram, and both on bank holidays. Coincidences do happen, but this one's a corker. Nobody had any concept of the Whitechapel Murderer, nor were many aware of Emma Smith's fate when it was Tabram's turn. Both outdoor attacks were far from the norm for East End violence at the time, which was more commonly domestic in nature where women were concerned.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
            If I include Tabram, however, I feel almost bound to include Emma Smith too, as the attack on her took place just a few seconds' walk away from that on Tabram, and both on bank holidays. Coincidences do happen, but this one's a corker. Nobody had any concept of the Whitechapel Murderer, nor were many aware of Emma Smith's fate when it was Tabram's turn. Both outdoor attacks were far from the norm for East End violence at the time, which was more commonly domestic in nature where women were concerned.
            That's an interesting point, but I thought - and I may be ignorant on this - that it was pretty cut and dry that Smith was killed by a gang? Unusual though it was, I can't see how that could be linked to the Ripper?

Comment

There was a horrific sexual component to the attack on Emma Smith. Tom Wescott's 'Bank Holiday Murders' is very informative.

A good subject for a book would be about the various gang activities around that time. I found a short news article about a woman who was lured from in front of a theater by a "gentleman" who asked her to go with him. They strolled very near to the place where Martha Tabram was killed at a later date. At that place a gang, which included women, pounced on the victim and stripped her of her clothes and jewellery. A policeman stopped the abuse. I don't know what happened after that. I know that short article is posted somewhere in Ripper related items.

My point is these gangs had long ago forgotten about boundaries. Criminals tend to keep stretching the boundaries. If there was a pervert driven by sexual lust in one of the gangs, I don't see why he wouldn't have progressed from robbing and stripping victims for profit, to sexual assault. I have even considered that such a man might have become JtR, and that part of the reason he got away was because fellow gang members protected him.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

That's an interesting consideration, Anna.

Perhaps he was in that sort of gang, but needed ... more, for lack of a better term, and graduated to ripping.

My gut says I can't imagine him hanging with a gang, but that's based on nothing academic really other than just picturing him as more of a loner.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Morris View Post
                  Hi David and welcome!

I am inclined to include Tabram as a ripper victim because, like you, I can't quite see Nichols as this man's first ever serious (okay, fatal) attack on a woman in that tiny area - particularly if he was a local man, or was often there on other business. I also tend to think he was familiar with the unfortunate population and had good and bad experiences accordingly. One really bad experience could have produced a violent response (and I'm not blaming the women here for his inner demons. )

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Hi Caz and David

Yes the Nichols murder is a full-bodied "Ripper" murder so to speak, with the disemboweling and the deeply cut neck, which implies that Nichols was not his first. And yet I see an astonishing difference between the amateurish way Tabram was killed three weeks beforehand that it's hard for me to link the two. In fact I don't think the same murderer did both crimes. If "Jack" had murdered before, therefore, my hunch is that his murdering was done elsewhere.

Best regards

Chris
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Carried over from another thread

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                    a writer said it is rare for sexual lust killers to mutilate genitalia and if I remember correctly this was a reason to include Martha in the total count.
                    That's why I'd exclude Martha from the total count, Anna - her killer's focus seems almost completely to have been on the chest and neck, with some wounds to the upper abdomen. Tabram's lower abdomen (including genitalia) largely escaped the attention of the killer's knife; and then, largely the tip of it. Tabram was killed by a stabber, not a cutter.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I'm reading Tom's excellent book at the moment.
                      In my opinion there is a very strong case for Tabram being an early (the first?) JTR victim. The case for Smith is, as you say, far weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Collyer View Post
                        I'm reading Tom's excellent book at the moment.
                        In my opinion there is a very strong case for Tabram being an early (the first?) JTR victim. The case for Smith is, as you say, far weaker.
                        Good to know i'm not alone in this specific opinion (of including Tabram and not Smith)

I haven't seen another murder victim before Tabram that really fits, though there are undoubtedly some more minor attacks he was responsible for, in my opinion at least.

Comment

Good to know i'm not alone in this specific opinion (of including Tabram and not Smith)

I haven't seen another murder victim before Tabram that really fits, though there are undoubtedly some more minor attacks he was responsible for, in my opinion at least.
                          As I have written before, all murders or attacks before Nichols seem fumbling and amateurish. In the Nichols murder, the style of attack and mutilation seems fully formed such that all other crimes beforehand don't seem to fit. So it's possible that the killer was new to Whitechapel.

Chris
                          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                            In the Nichols murder, the style of attack and mutilation seems fully formed such that all other crimes beforehand don't seem to fit. So it's possible that the killer was new to Whitechapel.
                            Or that some tragic event triggered his bizarre compulsion to dispossess women of their insides not long before the murders started. Perhaps we should look at the infirmary records for women who died as a result of abdominal surgery, or complications following failed c├Žsarian sections? Especially the latter, as the simultaneous loss of a wife and child would be traumatic indeed for the surviving partner.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                              As I have written before, all murders or attacks before Nichols seem fumbling and amateurish. In the Nichols murder, the style of attack and mutilation seems fully formed such that all other crimes beforehand don't seem to fit. So it's possible that the killer was new to Whitechapel.

Chris
                              Tabram seems more fast, frantic & urgent than fumbling to me. Unrefined would be another way I would describe the MO in comparison to the later Whitechapel murders.
                              Tabram seems to have been posed with legs apart & clothing lifted away from her lower body, and the assailant concentrated on the neck, breasts & vagina with most injuries inflicted using a knife.
                              In my opinion it takes more imagination to think Tabram is unrelated to the C5 than it does that her murder was in fact part of the series.

Comment

Working...
                              X