Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Alley

Steve Hulford posted this on FB....

C. 1887 “In the middle of this photo is the entrance to Angel Alley where Mary Ann Connolly / Pearly Poll went off with her soldier client on the evening of 6 August 1888. Photo was taken c. 1887 and would look exactly as she would have seen it.

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Here’s a broader view from around the same time.

F67F3CDB-FE88-4DD7-AC5C-C69EEBD2BC75.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      Steve Hulford posted this on FB....

C. 1887 “In the middle of this photo is the entrance to Angel Alley where Mary Ann Connolly / Pearly Poll went off with her soldier client on the evening of 6 August 1888. Photo was taken c. 1887 and would look exactly as she would have seen it.

One of the reasons why I hardly posts images these days. I posted this photo on my page with a watermark with those words. I let a couple of people use the image (without the watermark) on there pages which is where he must have got it from. Not only that, those words in the description are mine.

Comment

The full photo, courtesy of Rob Clack

To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

A magnificent photo, How and Rob. Thanks for sharing it!

What was the obviously respectable business to the left - with the royal warrant?

The equally-spaced piles of horse poo are amusing. Presumably there had been a line of horses and carts waiting along there a short while before. Either that or a tidy-minded road sweeper had swept stuff into little piles prior to shovelling them up into his barrow.

Great stuff.

Comment

Here’s a question: does the poster in the doorway say ‘under new management’? A David Ayling was the licensee from 1870. Did he move on ca 1887? Is that how the photo has been dated?

My maternal grandfather lived in GYB from early 1888 until 1890 when his father died. By 1891 his widowed mother had moved the family to 4, Angel Alley, so I’m particularly interested in that part of Whitechapel at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Here’s a question: does the poster in the doorway say ‘under new management’? A David Ayling was the licensee from 1870. Did he move on ca 1887? Is that how the photo has been dated?

My maternal grandfather lived in GYB from early 1888 until 1890 when his father died. By 1891 his widowed mother had moved the family to 4, Angel Alley, so I’m particularly interested in that part of Whitechapel at that time.
              Yes, that's how I dated it. I checked the other premises in the photo as well but in the 1888 Directory Henry Burgess is at The Angel. The directory would have been done late 1887.
              According to this site Ayling was there in 1886 so that's why the guess c1887.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/Whi...el/Angel.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Yes, that's how I dated it. I checked the other premises in the photo as well but in the 1888 Directory Henry Burgess is at The Angel. The directory would have been done late 1887.
                According to this site Ayling was there in 1886 so that's why the guess c1887.

https://pubwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/Whi...el/Angel.shtml
                Excellent, thanks Rob.

Comment

Excellent! I love these old photos when they're discovered. Adds another dimension to our understanding of the time and place.

Comment

Working...
                  X