The Pinchin Street Victim Supposedly Identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pinchin Street Victim Supposedly Identified

Around about 2002-2005 I spent far too many days, weeks, and hours looking through old bound copies of newspapers and cranking the handle of old microfilm readers, looking for articles on the Whitechapel Murder case. Had I known at the time that these papers would eventually be digitalized I could have saved myself the expense and trouble, but I still have hundreds of pages of notes, and a few articles that have never found their way into print. I'm starting to sort through some of those now.

Here is one that claims to identify the victim of the Pinchin Street murder. All I have are my own handwritten notes, as the librarians in New York wouldn't allow me to photocopy the oversized volume.

"It is confidently believed by Mr. and Mrs. Barker, of the Swan and Helmet public-house, Northampton, that the victim of the Pinchin Street murder in Whitechapel was their daughter, Emma Barker, who, after getting into several scrapes through her drunken habits, ran away to London, and for a time nothing was heard of her. A fortnight prior to the murder Mr. Barker received a letter from the Rev. Mr. Winter, of Cambridge-road, London, telling him that he had taken their daughter in hand. She did not stop long, however, and in a few days was picked up in a wretched condition by a missionary. She had pledged the greater portion of her clothes. The missionary treated her with every kindness, but she left again suddenly a week before the hacked remains of the murdered woman were discovered. Both parents think the unfortunate woman was their daughter. Mrs. Barker declares that the blood-stained chemise corresponds with one she made for her daughter, who had a mole under her arm like the murdered woman. The fears of the parents have been communicated to the police, who do not however seem to attach much importance to the information, as the missing woman was pitted with small-pox." NY Herald (London) 29 Sept 1889 p. 10.
    Last edited by R. J. Palmer; November 12, 2017, 03:07 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Rajah:

Do you remember the name(s) of the newspapers ? I can help.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Hi Howard. It's listed at the bottom. The New York Herald. But you won't find it in the American edition; it was only in the London edition, which was a separate paper and has not been digitalized. The Herald also had a Paris edition, and if I could find it, I would definitely study it closely, as it is bound to churn up some interesting information.

Comment

Thanks Raj....I'll give it a look in the BNA. If I run across something, I'll post it.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

William Barker, the publican of the Swan and Helmut, seems to have been rather fond of drink. He pops up in the police reports in the Northampton Mercury on a number of occasions. It looks like the pub still stands. The obvious thing would be to try and trace Emma after 1891.

Comment

Howard -- I just noticed using a google search that an Emma Barker is also mentioned in an old thread of yours called "Jewish Prostitutes In The East End," as supposedly connected to a Jewish brothel near Pinchin Street. It's evidently archived somewhere, but the link is outdated. Maybe you can chase it down? Thanks.

Comment

Nevermind, Howard. Here is the link, a post by Gary B.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....=Barker&page=4

Comment

A couple of articles I used for my Pinchin Street article.

The Daily News Monday 30 September 1889

Emily Barker The Daily News Monday 30 September 1889 01.jpg
                Emily Barker The Daily News Monday 30 September 1889 02.jpg

Lloyds Weekly News Sunday 6 October 1889

Emily Barker Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday 6 October 1889 01.jpg
                Emily Barker Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday 6 October 1889 02.jpg
                Emily Barker Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday 6 October 1889 03.jpg

Rob

Comment

There are two trees on Ancestry which have her in Northampton Prison in 1911.

I haven't found her birth, but her mother seems to have been Sarah Ann Barker nee Hughes.

Comment

Thanks for the two articles, Rob.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

That is an interesting comment that the woman's/victim's arms were almost "overdeveloped" for a woman. Wonder what that meant? Muscular or fat? If muscular, we could be on the lookout for unusual females who disappeared. Like a female slaughter house worker. Or a woman who habitually lifted heavy things. Maybe there would have been a number in the latter category. Even being a full time laundress in those days should have developed muscles on a woman.
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Robert C.--Thanks for that. I'm obviously stuck in a time warp, and a good 5 years behind some of the recent developments.; I will chase down your article, it sounds brilliant.

Here is another bit from the N.Y. Herald (London), commenting on the strange case of John Cleary.

"Early last Sunday week the Herald received information, from a man who called himself John Cleary, of a murder in Backchurch-lane. Herald reporters investigated but found nothing to uphold the statement. Last Tuesday the mutilated body of a dead woman was found in the spot indicated. The coincidence between the experience of the Herald last week and another London daily paper at the time of the Whitehall tragedy is all the more remarkable when it is stated that the description of the man who informed that paper and of John Cleary who called at the Herald office, tally in practically every important particular." 16 September 1889.

This, of course, was written up elsewhere, but I don't recall the Whitehall angle.

A parting shot: personally, I have 0% faith in F.B.I. "profiling," for reasons I won't go into, but, that said, I felt obligated to read 2 or 3 books by the gurus at Quantico. I think it was Ressler who wrote about the alleged "anniversary effect," wherein a murderer supposedly kills a victim on the same calendar date as a previous victim. There appears to be a couple of instance where this has happened. I remain skeptical, but it is at least theoretically plausible that the Pinchin Street victim died on the same date as Annie Chapman...for what it is worth, and it is probably worth very little.

Comment

Working...
                        X