Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move along.

Hello Elaine.

"then his profile on the cases would also be to some degree inaccurate since his source of info was such."

Bingo.

One gets the feeling, reading through his "profile," that he is brought in to say, "'Ere now--move along. Nothing to see."

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      So you're contemplating there's a likelihood this medical officer's recollection of notes were "to some degree inaccurate." If so, then his profile on the cases would also be to some degree inaccurate since his source of info was such.
      Given that Dr Bond's conclusions were often in contention with his peers, that should come as no surprise.

However, I think it is necessary to point out that we should not wholly dismiss, nor wholly accept, everything offered by any medical professional.
      Dr Phillips was the most knowledgeable on the Whitechapel murders and likely correct in 9 out of 10 instances, but he may have made mistakes. Likewise, Dr Bond appears contentious in 9 out of 10 cases, yet he must have been correct some of the time.

With respect to Dr Bond's report (apparently the result of collaboration with Dr Philips), I do believe he was mistaken when he offered a time of death between 1:00-2:00am for Mary Kelly, but I also believe the police were strongly influenced by this conclusion.

The profile offered by Bond describes precisely the kind of person I envisage as the Whitechapel murderer, right or wrong - who knows, but this is one suggestion of his that I take as reasonably correct.
      Regards, Jon S.
      "
      The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
      " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
      Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Thanks Wicker Man and Lynne.
        Your points are very helpful, as always

Comment

Hello Christer,

Sorry about the delay in replying, life got in the way!
          Anyway just to let you know I've started a new thread specifically about Mizen as it's a bit off topic here.
          Thanks for your time,
          dusty miller

Comment

Working...
          X