Mog Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mog Sullivan

I thought I'd see if anyone has any insight into who Mod Sullivan was and what her connection to the case was. I believe the only press mention of her under this name is the following, from the Echo of Nov. 9th, 1888.

The house belongs to Mr. McCarthy, who keeps a chandler's shop common lodging - houses in the district, notably one in which "Pearly Poll", Mod Sullivan, and other women - incidentally mentioned in the inquiries relating to the atrocities - were accustomed to live.

Mod would obviously not be a real first name, but the best guess I have as to her identity is that she's the sister of Mr Crossingham, of 35 Dorset Street fame, which was indeed the residence of Pearly Poll in the second half of 1888. Mr. Crossingham's brother-in-law was Danny Sullivan, which is why I've suggested Mod Sullivan was his wife. If this were the case, I would imagine the tangential connection referred to by the reporter is that she would have been interviewed by the police following the murder of Annie Chapman, who likewise lived at 35 Dorset Street. The main problem I have with accepting this theory is that I don't see Danny and his wife LIVING at the lodging house, but only working there. Come 1891 their address was 4 Paternoster Row, but I have no idea about 1888. Anyway, I'm curious to know more about this witness, so if anyone has any info or ideas, please share them.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Tom:

Nina is going to give it a shot....
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Tom:

Nina couldn't find anyone, surnamed Sullivan or otherwise, that fit your request.
      Sorry.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Tom

William Crossingham married Margaret Sullivan in 1898. So this may have been Daniel's sister that he married. Daniel might not have been married at all, as far as I can see. I'm not sure whether the "Mod" Sullivan was Margaret Sullivan, since this Margaret would have been only 14 in 1888.

Comment

Hi Howard, tell Nina I said 'THANKS'!

Robert,

Very interesting stuff. There must have been a different female Sullivan on the scene in 1888. Perhaps another relative of Danny's, or someone who just happened to have that name or use that alias. But whoever it was, The Echo reporter was aware of her having some connection to a Whitechapel murder prior to Kelly's.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

She said you're very welcome, Tom...
            One quick note here;
            Is it possible that this Sullivan lady's name was Maude ?
            Nina looked...didn't find one...but "Mod", to us, might be Maude.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I suppose it could be Maud or maybe a misheard Mogg for Margaret.

Comment

There are a very few people listed as "Mod" in the censuses, and quite a few names in births for which "Mod" might be an abbreviation.

Comment

Chris Scott provided a list of East End unfortunates which has a Margaret Sullivan aged 26 in 1881

http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-2398.html

Comment

Hi all. It appears the newspaper blurb from the Echo Nov. 9th that I got from Casebook press reports was incorrectly transcribed. The middle part of the sentence is missing and it should read 'Mog' Sullivan and not 'Mod' as we thought likely. Here's the same verbiage but from another paper, The Queenslander of Dec. 29th, 1888, discovered by Howard Brown. It's stating that both Pearly Poll and Mog Sullivan had lived in a property owned by McCarthy. This wouldn't surprise me, although I'm not sure what property this might have been. The last I know about Pearly Poll is that she was living at Crossingham's in September.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tom,
                      There was a Margaret Sullivan aged 24, laundress, living at 19 George Street in 1881.

Also, Robert, I'm not sure if you meant that William Crossingham's wife was 14 in 1888 or Daniel Sullivan's sister? But I thought this story was interesting, don't know if we've had it before?
                      If you meant Daniel's sister was 14 then I wonder if the woman at 19 George St in 81 could be Crossingham's wife and the woman in this article also?

RE- William Crossingham's wife- Margaret Sullivan, described as a very big woman, had lived with him many years before they married in 1898 (as Robert noted) and was also deputy at (Albert?) Crossingham's in 1897. She was stabbed in the face in 1897 in an incident where her brother in law, Bertie (Albert who owned the lodging house Pizer stayed at on the night of the Buck's Row murder) was also assaulted. Police and magistrates had trouble getting to the bottom of the story. Two men who worked for William Crossingham at Dorset Street were accused of the crime but there was conflicting evidence against them and witnesses gave all sorts of differing stories ranging from William wanting rid of her to the motive of the attack being to settle old scores. Finding the outcome is proving difficult so far.

Comment

Hi Debs

Just been trying to work out what on earth I did mean. Jesus, was that two years ago already?

I think maybe I made an arithmetical error, and said that Crossingham's wife, who was 37 in 1901, was 14 in 1888 instead of 24. If that's what I did, then apologies to all.

Comment

One of the guys who stabbed Margaret Sullivan in 1898 had been on trial in 1892 for the manslaughter of a boxer by stabbing in the heart while both were in the Kent fields hopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            Hi Debs

Just been trying to work out what on earth I did mean. Jesus, was that two years ago already?

I think maybe I made an arithmetical error, and said that Crossingham's wife, who was 37 in 1901, was 14 in 1888 instead of 24. If that's what I did, then apologies to all.
                            Hi Robert
                            Thanks for that. I couldn't even find the Crossinghams in 1901 to check!

Comment

Hi Debs

Comment

Working...
                              X