• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Debs,

I've PM'd you.

Gary
    Thanks, Gary.

Comment

• This is from the Islington Gazette of 9/9/1887. The age is wrong for our MS, the one at 19, George Street in 1881 and the Thrawl Street Lodging House deputy who was bitten by Harriet Venables in 1885.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	558229

Comment

• Baptisms of the children of John Cooney and Elizabeth Smith at St Anne's Roman Catholic Church:

John Cooney born 14th Oct 1876 and baptised 19 Nov 1876, father John Cooney mother Elizabeth nee Smith. Godfather John Cooney, Godmother Ellen Smyth

Michael Cooney born 10 JUly 1880 and baptised 16 July 1880. Father John Cooney, mother Eliza. nee Smyth. Godmother Ellen ?
        Jacobus [James] Kooney born 6 Feb 1885 and baptised 6 March 1885, father Joan [John] Kooney . mother Eliz. nee Smith. Godfather W.Smith, Godmother E.Smith.

Gulielmus [William] Covey [marginal note says surname is Covey or Coney and gives address of 52 Flower and Dean Street. Father Joannis [John], mother Elizabetha nee Smith. Godfather Guilelmus [William] Callaghan, Godmother Maria Anna [Mary Ann] Callaghan.

Sarah Charlotte Cooney born 15 Feb 1892 and baptised 16 March 1892, father John Cooney, mother Elizabeth nee Smith. Godfather Benjamin Woolfe, Godmother Sarah Woolfe.

Comment

• Margaret Sullivan /Crossingham .

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          This is from the Islington Gazette of 9/9/1887. The age is wrong for our MS, the one at 19, George Street in 1881 and the Thrawl Street Lodging House deputy who was bitten by Harriet Venables in 1885.

[ATTACH]17976[/ATTACH]
          This is my first post on this Forum and I hope it helps create a picture of the times and the names .Firstly I have since a very young age been interested in The Jack the Ripper Case and Stories ,Later in life i realised that my Family were around in the area at this time .What i didn't know was too much about the Characters from my Grandparents time. I now believe that I am related to Margaret Sullivan and William Crossingham .My grandfathers Name was Patrick Sullivan and he was living in New Court with a Catherine Sullivan on the 1901 census. Crossingham and Margaret lent the sum of 400 to Catherine 1901 (a hefty amount in todays terms) So i am assuming they must have been Sisters . If we believe that Margaret did come from Tower Hill then a sister of that name is on the census. I sadly do not know what happened to Catherine after 1901. Patrick and his son Patrick are in a lodging house in 4 Greville St .Senior is listed as Manager .Can any one help. This all puts my Family in the area of the Ripper time and it feels quite exciting to read these forums for so long thinking that it had closed and to now be on Here.

Comment

• Welcome Michael. I'm sure people like Debs and Gary will shed some light.

Re the 1911 Greville St, Patrick gives himself as single. Of course, it's possible that Patrick and Catherine weren't married and gave themselves as married in 1901 for the sake of appearances. Then Catherine dies or the couple split up, and Patrick goes back to single.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
              Welcome Michael. I'm sure people like Debs and Gary will shed some light.

Re the 1911 Greville St, Patrick gives himself as single. Of course, it's possible that Patrick and Catherine weren't married and gave themselves as married in 1901 for the sake of appearances. Then Catherine dies or the couple split up, and Patrick goes back to single.
              Thanks Robert ,That is a valid point both Patrick's are listed as Single. Sadly my Grandfather apparently spoke very little of his family . This site has been invaluable ,We knew that my grandfather had a nice childhood in that he had mentioned travelling in a carriage (probably Crossinghams) There was talk of Pubs being run in the area (probably the connection between the rose family and Matilda) Catherine and Patrick has been the hard connection to make though ,i do not know how to find the Catholic records in the area to look for marriage /births etc.
              The two Children Patrick and Thomas (thomas quoted Crossingham on A military doc as a sponsor or something) Something also happened to Catherine as i cannot find her after 1901.

Comment

• Hi Michael

There are a certain number of Catholic records on Find My Past, which I believe Debs has access to.

At the moment I'm having trouble finding young Thomas and Patrick in the births. There was a Thomas Jeremiah born 1890 in the right place, but his mother's maiden name was Griffin. Of course, Catherine may well have been married before she married Patrick, given her age, and this would affect the marriages.

Comment

Hi Michael

There are a certain number of Catholic records on Find My Past, which I believe Debs has access to.

At the moment I'm having trouble finding young Thomas and Patrick in the births. There was a Thomas Jeremiah born 1890 in the right place, but his mother's maiden name was Griffin. Of course, Catherine may well have been married before she married Patrick, given her age, and this would affect the marriages.
                  We were always led to believe they were Irish.The mystery continues.....for the moment. St ann's RC Church was where my Grandfather Patrick married Harriet Young in 1913 so the answers may be in their records.Is Gary Barnett still on here because when i read his thread i noted that he may have had a family interest .On Thomas Army record it lists his address as 17 Duvall street in 1907 and under "name and address of your present or former master" it says Crossingham ,Junction Road ,Romford.

Comment

• Hi Michael

This is interesting stuff!

Yes, Gary still posts here and I'm sure he'll turn up in the near future.

He'll be a bit disappointed that there's no mention of Shovel Alley, but he can't have everything.

Comment

• Hi Michael, nice to hear from you.
                      I still have access to the Catholic records and will have a look too.

Comment

• Michael, does Angrave St ring a bell?

Comment

• Margaret Sullivan /Crossingham and Catherine

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Hi Michael, nice to hear from you.
                          I still have access to the Catholic records and will have a look too.
                          Hi Debra, Thank you so much I think st ann's may help .My Grandfather did not insist on his Children Being Catholic ,But he was married there. I cannot tell you how long i have been looking at these threads and not known how to join .

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Potts View Post
                            Hi Debra, Thank you so much I think st ann's may help .My Grandfather did not insist on his Children Being Catholic ,But he was married there. I cannot tell you how long i have been looking at these threads and not known how to join .
                            Michael, is Patrick Alfred Sullivan born 10th April 1914 related to you?

Comment

Michael, does Angrave St ring a bell?
                              Hi Robert ,

Yes Grandfather lived there till 1936 with my Grandmother and her Parents (young )lived with them.

His Wedding cert said he lived at 8 Whites Row in 1913 and his wife (Grandmother ) was living at 51 Wilkes Street .

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                                Michael, is Patrick Alfred Sullivan born 10th April 1914 related to you?
                                Yes he was Patrick and Harriets Son (my Uncle)

Comment

Working...
                                X