No announcement yet.

Mog Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No it was a cousin of mine (alive and well) who is the desendent like me of Catherine and Patrick Sullivan. Ironically His father my uncle was ,lets say a larger than life character in the Brighton area after moving from London .To think we had relatives there at the same time?

Comment

• I think this should be linked here.

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/vict...idn’t-thrive

Comment

• I’m reluctant to return to the subject of what pregnant women would or wouldn’t have done in the 1880s, but the recent debate reminded me of the fact that Maggie Sullivan was involved in a street robbery on 30th August, 1888, was arrested the next day and gave birth to her son Jeremiah 4 days later. So unless it was a premature birth she was still working as a street robber while she was 9 months pregnant.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jeremiah’s birth 4th September, 1888.

And Margaret had been sent down for 14 days in May, 1888 for her part in the melee in Satchell’s NE Passage premises.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Apologies if I’ve posted this before. It’s from the ELA of 25th July, 1885. Margaret was sentenced to 9 months for her part in the robbery, which she spent in Millbank prison. She gave birth to her daughter Matilda in Millbank in December, 1885. She had previously been convicted in 1884 of stealing in the name of Margaret McCarthy.

[ATTACH]19098[/ATTACH]
            So, Maggie must have been 4/5 months pregnant when she was involved in this incident.

Comment

• I’ve just found something interesting/amusing about Matilda. When I first started looking for her it occurred to me that Matilda wasn’t a typical Irish Cockney name. Mary, Margaret, Bridget, Ellen, Norah etc were very common, but Matilda seemed a bit odd. I was grateful, though, because it made finding her easier. Then having done that, I forgot the unusualness of the name.

Today I found an 1884 press report of Jeremiah Macarty being involved in a robbery on a ship’s captain named Hawkins. And guess what Captain Hawkins’s ship was called - MATILDA. Was Maggie having a dig at her violent partner by naming their daughter after the ship?

I’d like to think so.

Comment

• Here’s the record of the July, 1885 conviction which resulted in Maggie giving birth to Matilda in Millbank Prison in December ‘85.

Psycho Jerry was convicted alongside her, as was Ellen Reardon. Jerry’s June,1884 conviction for the robbery on Cap’n Hawkins is shown.
                Attached Files

Comment

• And here’s the report of the Hawkins incident. No Maggie involved this time, but Ellen Reardon was.

Note: Or was she the Margaret Macarty in this incident? The reason I discounted her was that this conviction doesn’t appear on subsequent records for Maggie, but I’ve found that a few times recently in respect of others.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X