Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Lewende - at a murder trial ?

Hi All

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, apologies if it has.

Isaac Marks was tried at the Old Bailey 11th December 1876 for murdering Frederick Barnard.

In the online transcripts at Oldbailey, Joseph Levender's, Defence witness testimony is not in a separate paragraph but tagged onto the evidence of Aaron Fragartner, making it look like Levender was only mentioned as a part of Fragartner’s evidence.

In the original document scan it can be seen that he gave the following as evidence;-

Joseph Levender. I am a cigarette maker, and live at 3 Lenton Street. Goodman's Fields—I have know the prisoner some twelve months as one of the persons frequenting the Camperdown Hotel—I dine there on Sundays—during the time I have know him I have observed that he has been strange in his manner—I never spoke to him in the street—I have played dominoes with him, and in the middle-of the game he threw away his bones and stood up and went out without any reason and walked out of the house—he used to sit for an hour together with his head in his hands and an empty pipe in his mouth thinking to himself; he did not move—I have spoken to him many times and he did not give me any answer.

I believe 3 Lenton Street is likely to be 3 Tenter Street South*, if so then they are the same man.

* address of Joseph Lewende from marriage certificate , from Casebook, witnesses section.

Very fine, Mr. Lucky. Looks like you have the right man.
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Nicely done, Mr. Lucky !!
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Great find, Mr. L!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Good find Mr Lucky!

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks, might explain why he appeared so unexcited by the whole possibly seeing the killer episode?

The guilty man was a fellow Jew, btw, for those who think Lawende was Anderson's Witness.

Comment

I saw a mention somewhere about Lavender testifying at another trial but never saw the report before. Glad you found it!
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Excellent find Mr Lucky. Very interesting.

Comment

Yes and there is the interesting detail that Lewende did not shy away from testifying against a fellow Jew.
                  Of course Jewish people frequently testify against fellow Jews, then and now.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                    Yes and there is the interesting detail that Lewende did not shy away from testifying against a fellow Jew.
                    Hi Ed,

He's a defence witness.

Comment

Edward Stow

Edward...you may recall Montagu Williams mentioning the fact that most of the court action in the late 1800's ( He died in the 1890's) that came his way were cases of Jews taking other Jews to court.
                      Petty stuff for the most part, but on occasion some serious incidents.

Sir Robert Anderson stated that the witness in the infamous identification wouldn't testify against the Jewish suspect because he was a fellow Jew.
                      In my opinion, thats nonsense. If a man, of any ethnic stripe or from any background, but from a different social strata has the obligation to testify against another person of a different social rung ( read : lower ), they'll do it almost every time. Lawende, of course, didn't see the suspect in action, but Anderson fails to take class into consideration.
                      Thems my two cents.
                      To Join JTR Forums :
                      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Mr Lucky shot me down even though I was too quick on the draw.
                        But - often people of the same class do each other down out of rivalry and out of envy against their superiors.
                        Within Jewish communities, shafting each other is so common place it is an 'in joke'.

Comment

Working...
                        X