John Satchell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    Quick question-was a lodging house 'keeper' necessarily a property owner?
    No. They owned some properties and leased others. McCarthy didn't own Miller's Court, for instance.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      No. They owned some properties and leased others. McCarthy didn't own Miller's Court, for instance.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Yes,you're right.The land tax records show this is true.
      Eleanor Mills owned most of George St...did you know that?!

Comment

Bad news, folks. Another lath render.

LLOYD's JULY 9th 1893
        Attached Files

Comment

There was more action there than in the Sugar Goodson fight

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
            Yes,you're right.The land tax records show this is true.
            Eleanor Mills owned most of George St...did you know that?!
            Nope, can't say I did. And how's that! A woman owning property. I didn't think that was allowed until the 1980s.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Satchell was manager at 1 Heneage St as early as 1893, when he gave evidence at an inquest.

Can anyone point me to the Caroline/John Satchell marriage please? I cannot find it.

Comment

There was in 1891 a John Satchell lath render born c 1860 with wife Mary A. Unless this can somehow be transformed into Jessie, we might have 4 lath renders. Never have so many laths been rendered by so many.

Comment

I think John Satchell Junior was the manger of a lodging house in 1891 but I couldn't work out the address. He was married but his wife wasn't with him.

I couldn't find his marriage.

Going from memory I think John Satchell Senior's eldest brother was called Henry and he had a son called John, born around 1858 and I think this is the one who married a Mary and he was a Lath Render and lived most of his life in Hackney. That would make him 'our' John Satchell his uncle.

The trouble is John was a common name in this family and virtually all of them were Lath Renders.

Comment

I think it was more a case that never have so few laths been rendered by so many, as I don't think most of them actually did that much lath rendering.

Comment

Ed, yes the one with wife Mary was born Hackney.

1 Heneage St doesn't seem to be listed in the 1891census. It was in 1901 and Satchell jnr is listed there and it is also the qualifying property for voting. But he isn't listed there in the 1901 census.

Comment

Modelmaker John Satchell (1845-1938) at left, and his father James Satchell (1813-1870) turned out this beauty on his lathe!
                        Attached Files
                        Thanks for your time,
                        dusty miller

Comment

Well, we know the John Satchell involved in the Goodson fight was b c 1843 and was a beerhouse keeper on Brick Lane. This fits with John Satchell b c 1841 at 180 Brick Lane in 1881 (The Phoenix) and at 155 Backchurch Lane (The Sugar Loaf) in 1891.

155 Backchurch Lane was linked to the lodging house at 4 NE Passage in 1892 voting lists, one was a qualifying property and one a residence for the voter listed, is that how they are formatted, I forget? John jnr b 1861 wasn't at the Backchurch Lane address in 1891 so that could indicate that John Satchell snr was also involved with lodging house keeping?

Some useless snippets-In 1881 both Sweeny Todd and Dick Turpin were staying the night at the North East Passage lodging house.

Joseph Barnett fish porter of Billingsgate had both 1 Heneage Street and 4 North East Passage listed as addresses on his porter's licence.

Ellen Callan, witness at the Coles inquest lived at 3 NE Passage.

Comment

I think John Satchell jnr was also at 1 Heneage Street in 1893 when there was a murder of an Irishman by his own brother. I will check those details again.

Comment

The Morning Post Wednesday, June 21, 1893

Comment

Death in a Satchell lodging house.

The electoral registers do show qualifying address - so we know the same John Satchell had the North East Passage and Backchurch Lane properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X