Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Poll's whereabouts in Autumn 1888-New research

Hi All

After a recent discussion with Tom about hospital records in general, I decided it might be interesting to check the records of all East End Infirmaries for the year 1888, where possible. The Whitechapel Infirmary Records for the year 1888 had already transcribed by the Late Chris Scott so I began by looking at the admissions at St George in the East Infirmary in 1888.

Almost immediately something interesting caught my eye. In the admissions list for August 1888 was a M.A. Connolly born in 1853. Going by the message boards and A to Z, a lot of us accept that the Mary Ann Connelly/Connolly/Conly etc. who appears in the Whitechapel Infirmary records in early 1888 and other years, born c 1853, single, described variously as a hawker, charwoman and prostitute and being admitted for bronchitis, tonsilitis and other throat complaints is 'Pearly Poll'.

I wondered if this woman in the St George East Infirmary records could be Pearly Poll too. Unfortunately, the Saint George in the East Infirmary Records did not give addresses or the nature of a person's illness in their registers. The only point of similarity therefore was the age of the woman.

After a lot of trawling through unindexed creed registers, workhouse and Infirmary records for the parish of St George East I pieced together that this M.A. Connolly/Connelly b 1853 was named Mary, was a hawker, was single and was admitted from 4 North East Passage St George East. This was a lodging house. Some may recognise this address from John satchell research. John Satchell was the registered keeper of 'Satchell's ' lodging house at 19 George St and John Satchell was also registered to vote at 4 North East Passage St George in 1887, 1888 and 1889.

Then 'duh' I discovered a full index for the Infirmary and life became simpler as the illness someone was admitted with was also included in these records and so here are the records for M.A. Connolly taken from the Saint George in the East Infirmary records:

Saint George in the East Infirmary index 1888 to 1889
    Conelly M.A. , age 35, admitted with bronch. ,
    Admitted 26 Aug 1888 discharged 6 Oct 88, presumed malady throat dis.,
    Admitted 20 Dec 88 discharged 26 Jan 89 Presumed malady bronch.
    Admitted 14 mar 1889 discharged 3 May 1889 PM bronch.
    Admitted 8 May 1889 discharged 18 June 1889

Saint George in the East Infirmary Index to Admission and Discharge 1889-1890
    Connelly M.A. age 36, admitted 12 Oct 89 discharged 19Nov 1889

Saint George in the East Infirmary Index to Admission and Discharge 1890-1892
    Connelly M.A. age 36 admitted with bronch 4 Nov 1890 discharged 1 Dec 90 presumed malady bronch.
    Admitted 24 Dec 90 discharged 7 Feb 91

So, we now have a match in name, age, occupation, marital status, religion and most importantly nature of illness, between the Mary Ann Connolly in the Whitechapel Infirmary records and the M.A. Connolly in the St George East Infirmary. There is also the link to different lodging houses that John Satchell was involved in with both women. If Pearly Poll divided her time between different houses run by the same person but in two different poor law unions that explains her appearance in both the Whitechapel and St George East Infirmary records. As far as I can tell so far in my research there doesn't appear to be any overlap in the stays in the two Infirmaries, suggesting this is the same woman in both cases, considering the long stays in the St George East Infirmary.

I've already mentioned this research to Tom and he also thinks it could be possible this is Pearly Poll. He accepts this would mean Poll was in the Infirmary ( Ref Admitted 26 Aug 1888 discharged 6 Oct 88, presumed malady throat dis.,)when the Church St women were pointing the finger at Pizer, so would exclude her from being one of those women as he speculates in his book.

Any thoughts?

Here are some of the other records I used in the research from various sources:
    Parish of St George in the East Infirmary
    Admitted 27th Aug 1888 page 154
    Connolly M.A. b c 1853, Roman Catholic RC, hawker.
    Discharged Oct 6th

St George East religious creed 1889
    Jan 1st 1889
    Connolley Mary Ann admitted from workhouse RC Roman catholic
    Discharged 26/1/89
    Adm 14/3/89 dis 3/5/89 adm 8/5/89 dis 18/6/89
    Amelia farmer b c 1847
    Discharged wed oct 10 1888 own desire (when admitted?)

Raine Street Workhouse Creed Register 1889-1892
    Admitted 11 Oct 1889 Connolly MA , admitted from 4 NE (North East)Passage, RC (Roman Catholic), discharged 12/10/89 to infirmary
    Raine Street Workhouse Admission and Discharge Register 1889-1890
    Admitted Oct 11 1889
    Connolly MA birth year 1853, single, occupation hawker, admitted from 4 NE passage
    Discharged Oct 12 1889
    Connolly M.A. birth year 1853, discharged to Infirmary.

Saint George in the East infirmary Admission and Discharge Register 1889-1890
    Admitted Sat. Oct 12 1889
    Connolly M.A. birth year 1833 (sic) Roman Catholic, occupation hawker.

These records also seem to dovetail datewise with the 1893 onwards records I found for Pearly Poll in the Whitechapel Infirmary after a throat op. Taken entirely, all these different records present a picture of a very ill woman.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=17649

Hi Debs

Any thoughts?
    God you're good?

Seriously though - great work Debs xx
    If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
      Hi Debs

God you're good?

Seriously though - great work Debs xx
      Thanks, Tracy. xx

Comment

Great work, Debs. Looks like Connolly was out of the picture after the Tabram investigation.
        Best Wishes,
        Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Cris Malone View Post
          Great work, Debs. Looks like Connolly was out of the picture after the Tabram investigation.
          Thanks for the feedback, Cris.

It seems a sensible idea that some of the local 'unfortunate' population of Whitechapel and Spitalfields lodging houses might go to another parish after Smith and Tabram's murders. In the same St George East workhouse and Infirmary records for Oct 88 (meaning she was in the infirmary the same time as this M. A. Connolly) I noted an Amelia Farmer who was also staying at a lodging house in St George East-3 North East Passage.

Comment

Thanks for all of your work, Debs. Now if we can locate Cross in an infirmary on Sept. 8 we can all get back to normal.

JM

Comment

Excellent work as always, Debs.

For the sake of completeness I'll include some of the other things that came up as Debs and I were discussing this. As Debs mentioned, at first she didn't know much about this woman, other than age. There are an awful lot of Mary Ann Connellys in the East End, and even more if you add in the variation 'Connolly', and then you had the different parish (Pearly Poll was known to use Whitechapel infirmary). So I was curious but suspicious.

Also, at least one press report from September, from the Echo, has a reporter visiting 35 Dorset Street and then reporting that the police had discussed the Annie Chapman murder with Pearly Poll and she couldn't shed any light on the murder. In November, following the Kelly murder, there's another report mentioning that Pearly Poll was known to live in a nearby lodging house with 'Mog Sullivan', so this was likely 35 Dorset Street as well. However, as I pointed out to Debs, neither of these reports specifically stated that Pearly Poll was staying at 35 Dorset Street AT THAT MOMENT. So, at the time, it seemed unlikely, although still quite possible, that this woman was Pearly Poll.

However, with Debs' expanded information that includes the bronchial mallady - something Pearly Poll (or the Mary Ann Connelly in the Whitechapel infirmary records we believe to be Pearly Poll) is known to have suffered from - I feel it's likely this is the same woman.

As Debs mentions, it would be worthwhile to check back in time to 1885 to compare the Spitalfields infirmary records with the Whitechapel infirmary records of the suspected Pearly Poll to make sure there's no overlap.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                Thanks for the feedback, Cris.

It seems a sensible idea that some of the local 'unfortunate' population of Whitechapel and Spitalfields lodging houses might go to another parish after Smith and Tabram's murders. In the same St George East workhouse and Infirmary records for Oct 88 (meaning she was in the infirmary the same time as this M. A. Connolly) I noted an Amelia Farmer who was also staying at a lodging house in St George East-3 North East Passage.
                This is fascinating. Anything new to suggest Farmer and Palmer were one and the same?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges View Post
                  Thanks for all of your work, Debs. Now if we can locate Cross in an infirmary on Sept. 8 we can all get back to normal.

JM
                  Jon, the mere fact he used the name Cross in the Infirmary would blow away the "name thing" argument against him.

Comment

Nice work, Debs !!

Have you been through the Bethnal Green records yet ?

Comment

Great stuff, Debs! I wouldn't be surprised if she was in some infirmary or other every winter with bronchitis.

Sorry for being ignorant on this, but is this the one in St Matthew workhouse Bethnal Green in 1891?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        This is fascinating. Anything new to suggest Farmer and Palmer were one and the same?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        Thanks, Tom. Amelia Palmer/Farmer and Annie farmer you mean? Nothing as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges View Post

JM
                          Thanks, Jon. I've done both C and L in St George so we can Cross that one off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Simons View Post
                            Nice work, Debs !!

Have you been through the Bethnal Green records yet ?
                            Thanks, Jon. Only a few years back when I was researching the 'other' Jospeh Flemming, of Bethnal Green Rd. who had a second home there when he wasn't in prison. I can't remember what records there are for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                              Great stuff, Debs! I wouldn't be surprised if she was in some infirmary or other every winter with bronchitis.

Sorry for being ignorant on this, but is this the one in St Matthew workhouse Bethnal Green in 1891?
                              Thanks, Robert.
                              I haven't looked at that but it could be. A woman named Mary Ann Connolly died in Bethnal Green workhouse of the right age (from Miss Marple and Sally's work I think) and I found from the creed register she had lived at 5 Old Nichol St. The age is right I think?
                              A timeline of the different entries might be my next job to make sure non overlap.

Comment

Working...
                              X