William Maher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Maher

I've found two press reports about William Maher from 1911. He had been involved in a car accident and was pursuing a claim against the driver - apparently in the name of McCarthy. The first report is from the Daily News of 11th February, 1911. It makes very interesting reading.

The second report from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph is even more interesting. Unfortunately the Findmypast record is distorted. I'll do my best to transcribe it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	564267

Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	556499

Comment

Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	556500

Comment

Here's the Sheffield Evening Telegraph piece as it appears on Findmypast.

The interesting part is Maher's statement that he had shot a man in the face who had insulted 'Mrs McCarthy'.

The confusing thing is that Maher says it was stated in the 'guvnors will' that he should 'stick to the missus as long as I could. I look (after) her and see she isn't insulted. I'm one of the (fix)tures there.'

John McCarthy was still alive then, wasn't he? Any suggestions?

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	556501

Comment

Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	556502

Comment

Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	556503

Comment

Maher in the dock in 1897, accused of stabbing Margaret Sullivan.

Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	556504

Comment

Billy Myers - possibly Billy Maher, although the biography of the man gets mixed up with that of Lewis Lewinsky, another Spitalfields terror involved in the attack on Margaret Sullivan. (See link)

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....y+Myers&page=5

Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	556505

Comment

Maher on the 1901 census for 12, Paternoster Row. He's a lodging house shop-assistant.

After having killed a well-known Spitalfields boxer, John 'Black Jack' Stevens and stabbed William Crossingham's wife-to-be in the head he's still accepted in Dorset Street.

He must have had a powerful backer.

Comment

Oops! Forgot to post the census image.

Here it is.

Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	556506

Comment

Could 'Mrs McCarthy/the missus' have been William Crossingham's daughter Annie who married Daniel McCarthy?

If so, the 'guvnor' may have been either Daniel or William, both dead by 1911. I've got a copy of Crossingham's will and there is no mention of Maher there. But he could have been bunged a few quid and told to look after 'the missus' to keep him sweet.

Comment

It could be Maher/Myers dying in 1925.

I have been trying to find him in 1911. Maybe (only maybe) this is him :

1911 census 11 Artichoke Hill, William Mayer, carman, and wife Mary Ann.
                        His age is right, although he gives his birthplace as Whitechapel instead of City. But the point is, both in the electorals and in his marriage, his name is spelled Maher.

Comment

Nice work, Gary !

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            It could be Maher/Myers dying in 1925.

I have been trying to find him in 1911. Maybe (only maybe) this is him :

1911 census 11 Artichoke Hill, William Mayer, carman, and wife Mary Ann.
                            His age is right, although he gives his birthplace as Whitechapel instead of City. But the point is, both in the electorals and in his marriage, his name is spelled Maher.
                            Hi Robert,

11, Artichoke Hill, eh? Small world.

I have a feeling though that he was probably acting as muscle somewhere in Spitalfields in 1911.

I think I may have found him at 36, Newnham Street, Marylebone in 1891. Right age, middle name Patrick and occupation 'Publicans Assistant'. His occupation was given as barman during the Stevens case the following year.

The only issue is the place of birth. It looks to me like Middlesex, Sudbury, which makes no sense.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                              Nice work, Gary !
                              Thanks, How.

I've got a bee in my bonnet about this particular topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X