Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stephen Maywood

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi all only just signed up to this group and my first post..Stephen Maywood is my great great Grandfather I knew he wasn't a very nice man but now I've started reading this thread he just gets worse!! Fascinating read! loads of posts I haven't read yet..thanks for the info.

    Comment


    • Welcome Craig !
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Craig Maywood View Post
        Hi all only just signed up to this group and my first post..Stephen Maywood is my great great Grandfather I knew he wasn't a very nice man but now I've started reading this thread he just gets worse!! Fascinating read! loads of posts I haven't read yet..thanks for the info.
        Welcome, Craig!

        You have a very interesting ancestor in SM.

        Comment


        • Hi Gary Barnett glad to be onboard! fascinating group. Thank you for being polite referring to my ancestor as interesting but I'm under no illusion when it comes to my great great grandad Stephen Maywood and the likes as nothing other than a genuine nasty piece of work! still a lot on here I have yet to read but what I'm trying to understand at the moment is what his possible connection regarding the Jack the Ripper mystery might be? for example could he actually be him? associated with him or the murders in someway? etc. I'm more than happy to provide the group with any information/family history that may be pertinent I do have some other photos and documents that could be of interest? looking forward to finding out more and please don't hesitate to contact me if you feel I can help in anyway.. Regards Craig Maywood.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Craig Maywood View Post
            Hi Gary Barnett glad to be onboard! fascinating group. Thank you for being polite referring to my ancestor as interesting but I'm under no illusion when it comes to my great great grandad Stephen Maywood and the likes as nothing other than a genuine nasty piece of work! still a lot on here I have yet to read but what I'm trying to understand at the moment is what his possible connection regarding the Jack the Ripper mystery might be? for example could he actually be him? associated with him or the murders in someway? etc. I'm more than happy to provide the group with any information/family history that may be pertinent I do have some other photos and documents that could be of interest? looking forward to finding out more and please don't hesitate to contact me if you feel I can help in anyway.. Regards Craig Maywood.
            Hi Craig,

            The short answer is that SM was living at 1, Breezers Hill when the Ripper victim Mary Kelly was living next door at 79, Pennington Street in the house of a man named Johannes Morgenstern. It seems that both SM and JM were brothel keepers and they both relocated to Limehouse around 1889/90. It’s almost certain that SM would at least have known Kelly.

            I’m sure we’d be glad to see any interesting docs/photos you are happy to share. It’s a while since I’ve looked into the ‘Breezer’s Hill Mob’

            Gary






























            Comment


            • Hi Gary thank you very much for your prompt response I now fully understand, happy to share what info I can soon, hopefully maybe of some use. Craig

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Craig Maywood View Post
                Hi Gary thank you very much for your prompt response I now fully understand, happy to share what info I can soon, hopefully maybe of some use. Craig
                No problem, Craig.

                There are some other threads on here that you may find interesting. I’ll look them up and provide you with links.


                Comment


                • For Craig:


                  https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/vict...reet-limehouse

                  Comment


                  • For Craig:

                    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/vict...place-shadwell

                    Comment


                    • Many thanks to Clare Stone for sharing the following. Gary will follow up with more information, I'm sure.







                      To Join JTR Forums :
                      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

                      Comment


                      • I believe those are postcards?.. not your usual 'wish you here' ones you buy from the gift shop..

                        Comment


                        • Two postcards of prostitutes and one of a fire.

                          Comment


                          • A better copy of the first attachment shared by Clare :


                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

                            Comment


                            • Hello everyone, I'm also a Maywood descendant that being either Stephen Snr or Stephen Jr's Great Granddaughter....still trying to link the pieces together on that one! I have been fortunate enough to make contact through Ancestry with Craig's cousin, Clare, and we have shared stories & photo's. Luckily she has a photo of Stephen Jr which I can share. I did get involved in the forum some time ago to advise that Nellie Springett was not married to Maywood (mistress yes, married no). Their eldest daughter Mary (my Grandmother), just recently passed away at 96. She refused to discuss anything about her father and when I showed her a picture of Stephen Snr she neither confirmed nor denied. The information you have discussed on this website has been brilliant and very much an eyeopener. I look forward to further discussion and happy to share any information with you all.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Veronica Andrews View Post
                                Hello everyone, I'm also a Maywood descendant that being either Stephen Snr or Stephen Jr's Great Granddaughter....still trying to link the pieces together on that one! I have been fortunate enough to make contact through Ancestry with Craig's cousin, Clare, and we have shared stories & photo's. Luckily she has a photo of Stephen Jr which I can share. I did get involved in the forum some time ago to advise that Nellie Springett was not married to Maywood (mistress yes, married no). Their eldest daughter Mary (my Grandmother), just recently passed away at 96. She refused to discuss anything about her father and when I showed her a picture of Stephen Snr she neither confirmed nor denied. The information you have discussed on this website has been brilliant and very much an eyeopener. I look forward to further discussion and happy to share any information with you all.
                                Thanks, Veronica.

                                I’ve seen that photo on Clare’s tree. I think at one time we (on here) weren’t sure whether all the photos said to be of SM senior were actually of him. We thought one of them might of SM junior. This photo disproves that.

                                There is also a photo of Sarah ‘Mack’ attached to Clare’s tree. She is sitting with a small boy on her lap (Henry?) and there is another woman standing behind her. Is it known who the other woman is?

                                I suspect that Sarah’s mother (Mary?) may have had a connection to Station Place, the home of the notorious Nod(d)ing clan. I recently discovered that a girl I went to school with was a descendant of the Nod(d)ings. Small world.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X