Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The McCarthys - Eastenders or Sarf Londoners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The McCarthys - Eastenders or Sarf Londoners?

The received wisdom is that after their stint in France, the McCarthy family spent several years travelling across London and the Home Counties before settling in Southwark. In fact, the records suggest that they didn't do very much travelling at all, and that they had 'settled' in Ratcliff by, at the latest, 1852, as the following timeline demonstrates.

1820s - Daniel's and Margarets' Births: Ireland (Cork).

1846 - Marriage: St Brides, Fleet Street, London (resident in nearby Farringdon Street).

1847/8 - John's birth: Dieppe/France/at sea.

1849 - Dennis's birth: Digswell, Hertfordshire.

1852 - Jeremiah's birth: Vine Passage, Ratcliff.

1855 - Mary Ann's birth: Hamlet Court, Ratcliff

1858 - Timothy's birth: Slade Court, Southwark.

1861 - Census: Red Cross Court, Southwark.

1862 - Daniel's birth: Southwark.

1864 - Hannah's birth: Southwark

1869 - Ellen's birth: Kettleby Court, Whitechapel*.

1871 - Census: Kettleby Court, Whitechapel.

So it seems that between 1852 and 1871, when John was aged between 4 and 23, his family spent a minimum of 6 years in the East End and a minimum of 6 years in Southwark. It would be interesting to fill in the gaps: 1849 - 1852, 1855 - 1858 and 1864 - 1869. It may be that young Jack was more of an Eastender than we'd previously thought.

*Kettleby Court, although strictly speaking in Whitechapel, was between Royal Mint Street and East Smithfield at the western end of the Ratcliff Highway. The family's Ratcliff addresses were at the Highway's eastern end.

Note: the basis for my timeline is the one produced by Trevor Bond which appeared in Ripperologist 142, adjusted for the details of Dennis's and Jeremiah's births. I've also given a possible 1847 birth for John in line with the construction of the Rouen and Dieppe Railway in 1847. The main contractor was Thomas Brassey who also constructed the Digswell Viaduct in 1848-50. Brassey was also involved in the construction of the Victoria Docks in East London (1851), a number of warehouses in The Minories (1857) and the East London Railway (1865).

Daniel and Margaret were married in Wren's St Bride's Church (CofE) which is tucked away behind Fleet Street. Their witnesses were Henry Smith and Sarah Good. I haven't tracked down our 'Enry but I think Sarah was the 'sextoness' of the church at the time.

This is in stark contrast to Jeremiah's 1852 baptism in an East End Catholic church. That was very much a family affair with McCarthy and Horrigan (Harrigan, whatever) godparents.

Here's a rather appropriate image of St. Bride's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	558104

Comment

What did Jeremiah do for a living? The 1850s & 60s were still a time of the sugar industry in Ratcliffe.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
        What did Jeremiah do for a living? The 1850s & 60s were still a time of the sugar industry in Ratcliffe.
        Hi Anna,

He was born in '52. I've no idea what his later occupation was.

If you remember, Foggy stole a sugar loaf from Martineau's refinery in 1871, so the industry was still in the area then.

Gary

Comment

Here is an absolute pack of McCarthys in Ratcliffe in 1864. I don't see that the ages work out to the Jeremiah McCarthy family but it is an example of McCarthys in Ratcliffe Highway.

Both a John McCarthy and a Jeremiah McCarthy were in a lot of trouble in those days but this is the first example I can link to the proper area.
          Attached Files
          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Debra had just reminded me that there was also a Daniel born ca 1862 on the '71 Census. (How could I forget him?) I've added him to the TT below.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
              Here is an absolute pack of McCarthys in Ratcliffe in 1864. I don't see that the ages work out to the Jeremiah McCarthy family but it is an example of McCarthys in Ratcliffe Highway.

Both a John McCarthy and a Jeremiah McCarthy were in a lot of trouble in those days but this is the first example I can link to the proper area.
              Thanks for that, Anna.

Comment

A Mary Anne McCarthy of Brook Street, Ratcliff, aged 2 1/2, was buried in the Tower Hamlets Cemetery on 2nd May, 1858.

Comment

Looks like that was Mary Ann McCarthy b. Q1 Stepney 1855, mother Horrigan.

Comment

There was a Timothy with that mother's name variant born St Saviour Q3 58.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      Looks like that was Mary Ann McCarthy b. Q1 Stepney 1855, mother Horrigan.
                      Ah, so not '56.

Thanks Rob.

I'll send for the cert. I've got a few others on order, including a wildcard Hannah b.1862 in St. George, Hanover Square. The date's out, it clashes with Daniel and it's not Ratcliffe or Southwark, I know, but it was the registration district for Millbank Prison.

Comment

Jeremiah Q3 52 Stepney mother Harragan.

Comment

There was a Timothy with that mother's name variant born St Saviour Q3 58.
                          Yes, that must be the source for the Slade Court address.

I'm curious to see Dennis's birth cert. Fiona rule suggests Daniel was looking for agricultural work in Hertfordshire.

My guess would be that the Dieppe episode was connected to construction work of some kind, so Daniel was probably a navvy or a hod carrier prior to going to Herts.

Comment

Jeremiah Q3 52 Stepney mother Harragan.
                            Yep, got him. And Dennis.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....light=Jeremiah

Comment

There was a McCarthy family in Hatfield in 1851 - John is aged 30, born Cork - maybe Daniel's brother?

Comment

Working...
                              X