Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure looks like him. One month in house of correction.

He stole more sticks than you could shake a stick at.

Comment

Just one of those random coincidences no doubt, but residing at the Forest Gate District School in 1881 were a Sarah Ann Lewis (assistant laundress, born 1854) and a Mary Ann Cox (scullery maid, born 1857). Both born Middlesex, London, both unmarried.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        Just one of those random coincidences no doubt, but residing at the Forest Gate District School in 1881 were a Sarah Ann Lewis (assistant laundress, born 1854) and a Mary Ann Cox (scullery maid, born 1857). Both born Middlesex, London, both unmarried.
        And another is that at the same time Thomas Pike and a prostitute named Mary Kelly were in the Whitechapel Infirmary. Not our MK, of course.

Comment

I'm lacking some of my research tools at the mo, but I believe Sarah's father, Thomas Pike, was convicted of stealing walking sticks in Dec., 1870.
          Thanks Gary and Robert. I'm still not able to pick this one up, even using the date.

Comment

It would be interesting to find out where that Sarah Ann Lewis came from.

Comment

Thomas Pike may not have been Sarah's real father. I think she was born in the Whitechapel infirmary and registered as Sarah Newman on 16th Sept 1855 and baptised a day later in Whitehapel St Marys where her mother's name is given as Jane Newman.
              The GRO has no mother's maiden name given which usually means there is no father's name in the entry. I will order the certificate.

Jane Sarah Newman went on to marry Thomas Joseph Pike in 1860.

Jane died in Whitechapel in 1885. This coincides with Thomas being described as a widower in 1885 in the Whitechapel Infirmary.

Comment

Hi Debs

SHIPPING AND MERCANTILE GAZETTE
                17th DEC 1870
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Robert!

Comment

Jane Sarah Kirkbright Newman was baptised in London. I wonder why she put born in India on one census?

Comment

Debs there was a Benjamin Newman, age 40, widower, tailor, place of birth Calcutta living at 41 Lambeth St, Whitechapel (a lodging house) in 1851, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Debs there was a Benjamin Newman, age 40, widower, tailor, place of birth Calcutta living at 41 Lambeth St, Whitechapel (a lodging house) in 1851, so maybe that has something to do with it.
                        I think that's probably got a lot to do with it, Robert. Thanks!

Comment

In the 1841 census there is in St Alphage London City a Benjamin Newman, 32, tailor, seems to have a wife Mary Ann 34, and a daughter Jane aged 4. By Benjamin's name the question 'whether born in same county' looks like it's answered with an 'N' but the writing's atrocious. Everything runs together sloping forwards and you get the feeling the enumerator was anxious to knock off for some pie and mash.

Comment

In the 1841 census there is in St Alphage London City a Benjamin Newman, 32, tailor, seems to have a wife Mary Ann 34, and a daughter Jane aged 4. By Benjamin's name the question 'whether born in same county' looks like it's answered with an 'N' but the writing's atrocious. Everything runs together sloping forwards and you get the feeling the enumerator was anxious to knock off for some pie and mash.
                            Thanks, Robert. There is a baptism for Jane in the church of the same area in 1835.
                            Perhaps Benjamin was in the army in India at some point before 1841?
                            Benjamin died in the Whitechapel Infirmary on 8th July 1857. His last address was 69 Wentworth St.

Comment

Thanks Debs. I haven't found any reference to Benjamin in India, but I think he was probably either in the army or worked for them, perhaps sewing uniforms.

Pike seems to have been in trouble two or three times for larceny.

Mary Ann Newman may have died 1843, age 34, only two years difference from the census age. Last address Caroline St.

Comment

Pie and Mash? A bucket of Smoking Bishop more like. The handwriting's dreadful. The family were living in Curriers Court behind London Wall/Wood Street.

Comment

Working...
                                X