Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sarah Lewis ID

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I've been trying to find the marriage between Benjamin and Mary Ann. There is an 1833 marriage between Benjamin Newman and a Mary Ann Akroyd. One of the witnesses seems to be a Barney(?) Kirkbridge. I was wondering whether the 'Kirkbright' in the baptism was a miswriting of 'Kirkbridge' or vice versa - the additional forename may have been in honour of a relative or friend who acted as a marriage witness. There are a couple of births for Newman with mother Akroyd and one of these (Rosina)
    could be the one who is a granddaughter living in Caroline Place in 1851. But I don't know whether it fits together,

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      I've been trying to find the marriage between Benjamin and Mary Ann. There is an 1833 marriage between Benjamin Newman and a Mary Ann Akroyd. One of the witnesses seems to be a Barney(?) Kirkbridge. I was wondering whether the 'Kirkbright' in the baptism was a miswriting of 'Kirkbridge' or vice versa - the additional forename may have been in honour of a relative or friend who acted as a marriage witness. There are a couple of births for Newman with mother Akroyd and one of these (Rosina)
      could be the one who is a granddaughter living in Caroline Place in 1851. But I don't know whether it fits together,
      There was a Barnabus Kirkbright around at the time. Married Mary Thurgood at St John's, Clerkenwell on 3/7/1831.

      Comment


      • #63
        Thanks Gary. The name seems very northern so it's nice to see a mention of it in London.


        Kirkbright/Kirkbridge/Kirkbride seems to suffer a bit from letter shuffling.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          Thanks Gary. The name seems very northern so it's nice to see a mention of it in London.


          Kirkbright/Kirkbridge/Kirkbride seems to suffer a bit from letter shuffling.
          As do Akroyd and Thurgood to my soft southern ears. I found a reference to a BK up in Arkengarthdale. (Why do I get the urge to add 'tha knows, Mr Wilkes' to the end of that sentence?)

          Comment


          • #65
            This is taking us even further off-topic, but it's worth a gander...

            https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...=t18381217-270

            Comment


            • #66
              Does the 1901 Deptford candidate work?

              Who knows, there might be a family story amongst her descendants.

              Comment


              • #67
                They found a blue carbuncle inside the goose.


                Deptford?

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  Does the 1901 Deptford candidate work?

                  Who knows, there might be a family story amongst her descendants.
                  I'd rather refer to her as the Sept 88 George Street Spitalfields candiddate, Gary.
                  What do you mean by 'work?'
                  I think she's a good possible for Sarah Lewis the witness.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    We know nothing about Sarah Lewis the witness other than she said she was in Miller's Court in the early hours of the morning after having a fall out with her husband and stayed at the Keylers (and variant spellings) and that she claimed she had an encounter with a man with a black bag on Bethnal Green Road the week before when she was with a friend.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      I've been trying to find the marriage between Benjamin and Mary Ann. There is an 1833 marriage between Benjamin Newman and a Mary Ann Akroyd. One of the witnesses seems to be a Barney(?) Kirkbridge. I was wondering whether the 'Kirkbright' in the baptism was a miswriting of 'Kirkbridge' or vice versa - the additional forename may have been in honour of a relative or friend who acted as a marriage witness. There are a couple of births for Newman with mother Akroyd and one of these (Rosina)
                      could be the one who is a granddaughter living in Caroline Place in 1851. But I don't know whether it fits together,
                      I have that marriage too, Robert.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        I'd rather refer to her as the Sept 88 George Street Spitalfields candiddate, Gary.
                        What do you mean by 'work?'
                        I think she's a good possible for Sarah Lewis the witness.
                        I mean does she stack up as being the September 1888 George St candidate with the kleptomaniac walking stick dressing dad?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          I mean does she stack up as being the September 1888 George St candidate with the kleptomaniac walking stick dressing dad?
                          Ah, right.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            I found another Sarah Lewis in the same marriage registers.
                            This one was a witness for a marriage:
                            27 Feb 88 Bartholomew Murphy and Mary Ann Walker, 20 Thrawl St.
                            witnesses Charles Lewis signed and Sarah Lewis made her mark.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Debs, do you know if Lewis signed her police statement?

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                                Debs, do you know if Lewis signed her police statement?
                                No, I don't recall if she did or not, Robert.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X