Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to find the marriage between Benjamin and Mary Ann. There is an 1833 marriage between Benjamin Newman and a Mary Ann Akroyd. One of the witnesses seems to be a Barney(?) Kirkbridge. I was wondering whether the 'Kirkbright' in the baptism was a miswriting of 'Kirkbridge' or vice versa - the additional forename may have been in honour of a relative or friend who acted as a marriage witness. There are a couple of births for Newman with mother Akroyd and one of these (Rosina)
    could be the one who is a granddaughter living in Caroline Place in 1851. But I don't know whether it fits together,

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      I've been trying to find the marriage between Benjamin and Mary Ann. There is an 1833 marriage between Benjamin Newman and a Mary Ann Akroyd. One of the witnesses seems to be a Barney(?) Kirkbridge. I was wondering whether the 'Kirkbright' in the baptism was a miswriting of 'Kirkbridge' or vice versa - the additional forename may have been in honour of a relative or friend who acted as a marriage witness. There are a couple of births for Newman with mother Akroyd and one of these (Rosina)
      could be the one who is a granddaughter living in Caroline Place in 1851. But I don't know whether it fits together,
      There was a Barnabus Kirkbright around at the time. Married Mary Thurgood at St John's, Clerkenwell on 3/7/1831.

Comment

Thanks Gary. The name seems very northern so it's nice to see a mention of it in London.

Kirkbright/Kirkbridge/Kirkbride seems to suffer a bit from letter shuffling.

Comment

Thanks Gary. The name seems very northern so it's nice to see a mention of it in London.

Kirkbright/Kirkbridge/Kirkbride seems to suffer a bit from letter shuffling.
          As do Akroyd and Thurgood to my soft southern ears. I found a reference to a BK up in Arkengarthdale. (Why do I get the urge to add 'tha knows, Mr Wilkes' to the end of that sentence?)

Comment

This is taking us even further off-topic, but it's worth a gander...

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...=t18381217-270

Comment

Does the 1901 Deptford candidate work?

Who knows, there might be a family story amongst her descendants.

Comment

They found a blue carbuncle inside the goose.

Deptford?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  Does the 1901 Deptford candidate work?

Who knows, there might be a family story amongst her descendants.
                  I'd rather refer to her as the Sept 88 George Street Spitalfields candiddate, Gary.
                  What do you mean by 'work?'
                  I think she's a good possible for Sarah Lewis the witness.

Comment

We know nothing about Sarah Lewis the witness other than she said she was in Miller's Court in the early hours of the morning after having a fall out with her husband and stayed at the Keylers (and variant spellings) and that she claimed she had an encounter with a man with a black bag on Bethnal Green Road the week before when she was with a friend.

Comment

I have that marriage too, Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        I'd rather refer to her as the Sept 88 George Street Spitalfields candiddate, Gary.
                        What do you mean by 'work?'
                        I think she's a good possible for Sarah Lewis the witness.
                        I mean does she stack up as being the September 1888 George St candidate with the kleptomaniac walking stick dressing dad?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          I mean does she stack up as being the September 1888 George St candidate with the kleptomaniac walking stick dressing dad?
                          Ah, right.

Comment

I found another Sarah Lewis in the same marriage registers.
                            This one was a witness for a marriage:
                            27 Feb 88 Bartholomew Murphy and Mary Ann Walker, 20 Thrawl St.
                            witnesses Charles Lewis signed and Sarah Lewis made her mark.

Comment

Debs, do you know if Lewis signed her police statement?

Comment

Debs, do you know if Lewis signed her police statement?
                                No, I don't recall if she did or not, Robert.

Comment

Working...
                                X