Caroline Maxwell ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    I haven’t been able to find the HM in George Yard in 1871.
    He isn't an HM that's why, Gary. He has a middle name Henry, his first name I forget, but he is also too young to be the man who died in May 1889 who I believe is the Henry Maxwell, going by his death cetificate.

Comment

Thanks, Debs.

I’ve gone off at a bit of a tangent:

On the 1871 census there is a 26-year-old Henry Maxwell living in Princes Street, STGITE. He is a lighterman and is living with his wife, Martha, 20, and his son Henry W(?), 11 months. Their places of birth are said to be ‘Middlesex’.

The only Henry William Maxwell I can find being born in London in 1870 was registered in St Olave, Southwark in JQ and his mother’s maiden name was Steers.

On October, 3rd. 1869, a lighterman named Henry William Maxwell (of full age) married a Mary Ann Steers, 18 in Bermondsey.

In 1881, the family are living in Red Lion Street, Wapping. Some extra kids have been added, and the POBs of the parents and their eldest child now say Bermondsey.

Ffwd to 1885 and a Mary Ann Maxwell, 40, died in Whitechapel. I can’t find anyone of that name on the 1891 census.

So could there have been a widower Henry Maxwell knocking about in Whitechapel in the 1880s? Could he have been the witness of that name Debs found alongside Caroline Jenkins on an 1885 Spitalfields marriage cert?

This HM would obviously fit the 1900 death (age 55).

Comment

Thanks, Debs.

Iíve gone off at a bit of a tangent:

On the 1871 census there is a 26-year-old Henry Maxwell living in Princes Street, STGITE. He is a lighterman and is living with his wife, Martha, 20, and his son Henry W(?), 11 months. Their places of birth are said to be ĎMiddlesexí.

The only Henry William Maxwell I can find being born in London in 1870 was registered in St Olave, Southwark in JQ and his motherís maiden name was Steers.

On October, 3rd. 1869, a Lighterman named Henry William Maxwell (of full age) married a Mary Ann Steers, 18 in Bermondsey.

In 1881, the family are living in Red Lion Street, Wapping. Some extra kids have been added, and the POBs of the parents and their eldest child now say Bermondsey.

Ffwd to 1885 and a Mary Ann Maxwell, 40, died in Whitechapel. I canít find anyone of that name on the 1891 census.

So could there have been a widower Henry Maxwell knocking about in Whitechapel in the 1880s? Could he have been the witness of that name Debs found alongside Caroline Jenkins on an 1885 Spitalfields marriage cert?
        Iíve ordered the 1885 death cert.

Comment

Iíve ordered the 1885 death cert.
          Too soon perhaps, because Iíve found MA alive and kicking in 1901 in Wapping. She was a widow at that point.

But according to one Ancestry tree, she was the wife of the HM who died in Whitechapel in 1900 and he was the shipís boy from the Neptune.

Iíve ordered the 1900 death cert, too.

Comment

Thanks, Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
              Thanks, Gary.
              What were the details of the 1885 death, Debs - address, COD, occupation - if you donít mind sharing them?

Comment

What were the details of the 1885 death, Debs - address, COD, occupation - if you donít mind sharing them?
                I've sent you a PM Gary

Comment

There was a Henry Maxwell living at 14, Brushfield Street, Spitalfields in 1885. An engineer, wife named Mary Ann. They were apparently still together as late as 1911, so he doesn’t seem to fit as the partner of a Caroline managing a Dorset Street doss house in 1888/9.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07B5991E-98F9-4BFD-9869-5E29DEEBA3D3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	561293

It appears there were a few East End Henry Maxwells at the time.

Comment

I was curious about the HM who died in Whitechapel in 1900. It was the STGITE/Wapping lighterman. He died in the London Hospital.

Name:	D74FD013-5841-4654-A9EF-AE9C8020C89F.jpeg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	561294

Comment

There was another HM based in Poplar. So we have at least 4 and possibly 5 East End HM’s if Debs’s fellow wasn’t one of the 4.

My instinct/hunch/feeling tells me to eliminate the Poplar and Wapping candidates, leaving the engineer and the doss house deputy to consider as possibly being the marriage witness.

Comment

Here’s Henry Maxwell’s 1889 death cert. I had already ordered it before Abby N./Lord Orsam kindly provided the details. The only new piece of info is the date the death was formally registered, 25th May.

Name:	A1BB325A-1CF0-4460-BDE6-ADAA048576CC.jpeg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	561303

Having been admitted to the Baker’s Row Infirmary on 22nd May, suffering from pneumonia, HM lingered for a couple of days before succumbing to the condition. The cause of death recorded was ‘pneumonia exhaustion’.

Comment

Working...
                        X