Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Dixon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

    Louisa Lloyd was also blind. See Post #21.
    Yes, I saw that, RJ. Let’s hope he found a soul mate.
















    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

      Louisa Lloyd was also blind. See Post #21.

      I tried to figure out who "Caroline Slade" was, but nothing seems to pan out. I wonder if there was another 'deputy' besides Elizabeth Ryder.
      She was rather young - 21 - to have been in sole charge of a Spitafields lodging house.

      Comment


      • #48
        This is presumably the Caroline Slade in question. No luck so far in finding her maiden name. There was a couple with the same names living in F&D Street in 1881.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #49
          1881 Census:

          23, Flower and Dean Street (Lodging House)


          Edward Slade/Lodger/M/22/Labourer/Middlesex Spitalfields

          Caroline Slade/Lodger/M/19/Sack Maker/Middlesex Wapping

          ​​​​​​​

          Comment


          • #50
            Lower Chapman Street School eh?
            I almost missed that amongst all this talk of blind people.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
              Lower Chapman Street School eh?
              I almost missed that amongst all this talk of blind people.
              Yes indeed.

              Just imagine the register being called:

              Lechmere...
              Noding...
              Maywood...
              Dixon...







              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                1881 Census:

                23, Flower and Dean Street (Lodging House)


                Edward Slade/Lodger/M/22/Labourer/Middlesex Spitalfields

                Caroline Slade/Lodger/M/19/Sack Maker/Middlesex Wapping

                ​​​​​​​
                This might be of use:

                There was a Caroline Slade, age 16/52, which I take to mean 16 weeks old, in the Whitechapel Union infirmary on 27 November 1894. Possibly a daughter of same? Looks like the birth was registered around the same time and the child died in infancy.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Caroline Slade.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	572058

                Comment


                • #53
                  RJ, the Infirmary record says ‘Child of Henry(?) and Elizabeth’. MMN, Porter it would seem.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Good eyesight, Gary; so not a direct offspring. And I'm not seeing the Slades at No. 3 Shepherd Street Buildings in 1891. Looks like a Russian Jewish traveler name Jacob Schneider. So once again, I'm out to sea.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                      Good eyesight, Gary; so not a direct offspring. And I'm not seeing the Slades at No. 3 Shepherd Street Buildings in 1891. Looks like a Russian Jewish traveler name Jacob Schneider. So once again, I'm out to sea.
                      The ‘Henry’ was a little unclear, but I’ve found a marriage for a Henry S and an Elizabeth P at Christchurch in 1883. Another couple ‘saved’ by Charles Pateman it would seem, living in Flower and Dean Street at the time.

                      Caroline’s a bit of a mystery woman!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        George Dixon’s birth cert. Another Bluegate Fields address.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          Interestingly his older brother was a rope maker, the same as George Palmer who assaulted Alice in 1869.
                          It might also be worth recalling that Ada Wilson is listed as a rope maker in 1891, provided that Chris Scott had the right Ada Wilson.

                          Here's Chris's relevant entry:

                          "In the 1891 census the family are listed living in Limehouse at a house in Salter Street. Their listing is as follows:

                          20 Salter Street, Limehouse, London
                          Head:
                          Robert Wilson aged 54 born Limehouse - No occupation listed
                          Wife:
                          Charlotte Wilson aged 53 born Limehouse
                          Children:
                          Robert aged 20 - Carman
                          John aged 16 - Greengrocer's assistant
                          William aged 14 - Wire worker
                          Ada aged 22 - Twine spinner (Rope)
                          All children born in Limehouse"

                          Cheers.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

                            It might also be worth recalling that Ada Wilson is listed as a rope maker in 1891, provided that Chris Scott had the right Ada Wilson. No

                            Here's Chris's relevant entry:

                            "In the 1891 census the family are listed living in Limehouse at a house in Salter Street. Their listing is as follows:

                            20 Salter Street, Limehouse, London
                            Head:
                            Robert Wilson aged 54 born Limehouse - No occupation listed
                            Wife:
                            Charlotte Wilson aged 53 born Limehouse
                            Children:
                            Robert aged 20 - Carman
                            John aged 16 - Greengrocer's assistant
                            William aged 14 - Wire worker
                            Ada aged 22 - Twine spinner (Rope)
                            All children born in Limehouse"

                            Cheers.
                            Thanks, RJ, that’s interesting.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X