No announcement yet.

ERASURE: The Message on Goulston St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it quite likely that the GSG had nothing whatever to do with the Eddowes murder. Nonetheless, given the proximity of the apron piece, the possibility that it had some relevance could not be entirely discounted - then or now. Either way, the correct procedure was to preserve what was there and then argue about it afterwards, rather than erase what was written and hope for the best. Halse was right; Warren was wrong. The GSG should have been preserved in some form and, as the failure to record the wording consistently demonstrates, a photograph was the sensible course of action. The graffito and the various versions of the content came out at the inquest anyway so the erasure, for the reason stated, was ultimately pointless.

Having said all that, I don't think the erasure was any kind of point-scoring exercise between the Metropolitan and City Forces. A City detective of constable rank argued that the GSG should be preserved until photographed and Warren's rank prevailed over Halse's experience and common sense.
    Best Wishes, Colin. :cool:

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Whilst I agee in principle Colin, I think there were more practical issues concerning Arnold at the time.

As stated many times the policing of the area was a major worry and procedure of the day as to clear up asap.

Also I think the practicalities of obtaining a photographer (remember the Police didn't have their own photographer) couple with if the writing was in a good enough position to be photoraphed and lighting conditions all ould hae had an effect.

That said, I agree that a better record should have been made and measurements taken.

Monty

Comment

Also I think the practicalities of obtaining a photographer (remember the Police didn't have their own photographer)
        Yet the much smaller City of London Police did or, at least, had ready access to one. Arnold, with Warren's approval, destroyed what may have been evidence relevant to the Eddowes murder.I would expect a P.c. fresh out of training school to do better than that. The thought process seems to have been, "Is this relevant? Probably not. Okay to destroy it then". It should have been, as Halse clearly realised, "Is this relevant? Probably not - but let's preserve it anyway, just in case". One thing nobody can argue with (he said optimistically) is that, having made the decision to erase, an agreed and accurate transcription should have been made. It wasn't.

Warren sometimes gets unfairly criticised but on this occasion he was a high-handed idiot.

Best Wishes, Colin.
        Best Wishes, Colin. :cool:

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Not wishing to beat a dead dog...but the baffling thing about the worry over the GSG is that it seems within a day or so everyone and his brother knew about it... and for others, if not that quickly, as soon as the inquest reports were published in the newspapers.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
          X