X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    Sez you and absolutely nobody else.
    Hi Stephen,
    He is a suspect in the same way that Cutbush is/was/became a suspect. Detective Sergeant James, who knew LG and his past well voiced his suspicions that LG was the Ripper-the same as Race did with Cutbush. James was probably responsible for the 1892 'Scotland Yard' leak that the Ripper was now serving 20 years for blackmailing old ladies, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      Detective Sergeant James, who knew LG and his past well voiced his suspicions that LG was the Ripper......... James was probably responsible for the 1892 'Scotland Yard' leak that the Ripper was now serving 20 years for blackmailing old ladies too.
      Hi Debra

Thanks. I'm not familiar with this 1892 leak.

Could you please direct me to it.
      Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

• I was hoping you would clarify this, Debs.
        (Referring to post #106.)

Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
        Well, for me it would be a logical step knowing the police had washed the yard before it was even daylight. I think Me & LeGrand would have been fighting to see who got that lid off the grate first.
        Others may scoff, but that is what they call investigative work. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty in the hope of finding that one clue missed by others.
        Le Grand the investigative genious.

FYI Wickerman, the doctors examining Stride in situ even counted the number of the cachous spilled around the body.

And Dr. Johnson did indeed get his hands dirty (with Stride's blood), but this is another story, as he plausibly contaminated the crime scene.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Hi Stephen,
          He is a suspect in the same way that Cutbush is/was/became a suspect. Detective Sergeant James, who knew LG and his past well voiced his suspicions that LG was the Ripper-the same as Race did with Cutbush. James was probably responsible for the 1892 'Scotland Yard' leak that the Ripper was now serving 20 years for blackmailing old ladies, too.
          It's in my Casebook Examiner Le Grand essay from 2010 which you both have claimed to have read.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
            Well, for me it would be a logical step knowing the police had washed the yard before it was even daylight. I think Me & LeGrand would have been fighting to see who got that lid off the grate first.
            Others may scoff, but that is what they call investigative work. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty in the hope of finding that one clue missed by others.

If there had been an actual detective or PI on scene, you might be right. But there wasn't. There was only Le Grand.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
              Hi Debra

Thanks. I'm not familiar with this 1892 leak.

Could you please direct me to it.
              Stephen, when I say leak I have come to call it that, simply because,personally, I do not feel it was an official statement on the Ripper from Scotland Yard.
              Originally discovered in a Hull newspaper by Mike Covell-the Hull paper copied it from the Belfast News-letter-posted here by How:
              http://www.jtrforums.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=17
              The whole thread is here:
              http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=8366&page=3

The Scotland Yard authorities do not believe the story. [that Deeming had confessed to two of the Whitechapel murders] The fact is they consider, rightly or wrongly, that they have the author of the Whitechapel tragedies now under lock and key at Portland Prison,undergoing a sentence of twenty years penal servitude. He is Belgian, and was tried and sentenced some six months ago for attempts to obtain money from ladies by threats of violence...

Belfast News-letter March 28 1892

LeGrand was sentenced to 20 years for trying to obtain money with menaces from ladies in November 1891-5 months before the press report.

Comment

• Hi Debs. Why do you feel that Sgt. Race was the leak and not Macnaghten, who seems far more likely in this instance?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  Hi Debs. Why do you feel that Sgt. Race was the leak and not Macnaghten, who seems far more likely in this instance?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  What?

Comment

What?
                    Ugh. I mean James.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Ugh. I mean James.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      Simply because Sgt James was the one repeating the accusations later on in prison to anyone who'd listen-whereas Macnaghten devotes a fair amount of his chapter on blackmailers to LG (not naming him of course) in his memoirs but never once mentions his connection to the Whitechapel investigation or that he was a suspect-like he doesn't know that LG was involved in the investigations but yet knows everything else about his career,even that he had two convictions subsequent to his release from his 30 year sentence-if Macnaghten had been the source of the original 1892 that would mean he thought LG was the ripper,otherwise why release that information if he didn't need to? And this is off topic here.

Comment

• Yes, Macnaghten mentions Le Grand and his GF in his memoirs. As "con people".

But then again, Macnaghten called Ostrog a "homicidal maniac" while we DON'T know the full details of what was reported to Macnaghten by the Banstead superintendent about Ostrog's condition. The superintendent's letter discussed partly by Sugden is missing.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• Hi Debs. Of course he couldn't mention in his memoirs that Le Grand was a Ripper suspect. Le Grand was a police and Times informant. Macnaghten would have been sent out of the country! I think Simon posted something once about Mac knowing the editor of this paper, but I could be misremembering that. I'll get back to it when I get to my Le Grand section. But of course it's quite possible he thought Le Grand was the Ripper. Someone high up the chain did. Shame he didn't have either the hutsphah or the bad sense to put it into writing.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I don't think Le Grand talk is too off topic here, since he's the sole reason there would be need for a Packer thread.

Comment

Hi Debs. Of course he couldn't mention in his memoirs that Le Grand was a Ripper suspect. Le Grand was a police and Times informant. Macnaghten would have been sent out of the country! I think Simon posted something once about Mac knowing the editor of this paper, but I could be misremembering that. I'll get back to it when I get to my Le Grand section. But of course it's quite possible he thought Le Grand was the Ripper. Someone high up the chain did. Shame he didn't have either the hutsphah or the bad sense to put it into writing.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I don't think Le Grand talk is too off topic here, since he's the sole reason there would be need for a Packer thread.
                            Get out of the country you naughty boy...just like that?

Comment

Get out of the country you naughty boy...just like that?
                              They might have hanged him first...or worse..cancelled memberships to his clubs!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I don't think Le Grand talk is too off topic here, since he's the sole reason there would be need for a Packer thread.
                                And I thought, a grape fetish?
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X