D Lonsdale & CO. 28-31 Aldgate Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Lonsdale & CO. 28-31 Aldgate Street

The Lonsdale family owned a dressmaking shop in Aldgate Street No.28 to No. 31 from as early as 1862. (that's the earliest ad I've found in the papers so far). They appear to have been there at least until 1882 according to the latter advertisement I posted. (hard to read, sorry)

Does anyone know if they were there later than 1882? I believe the research that has been done so far regarding the address Catherine Eddowes was found drunk, 29 Aldgate, indicates a furniture seller by the name of Phillips, I think.

On a side note, Walter Lewis Turner, the murderer of Barbara Waterhouse and possibly Johnny Gill, worked for Messrs. Lonsdale Mills in Horsforth as a weaver. Not sure if the Lonsdales owned that mill or not but that is the purpose of this thread, Also, the dress found in the area of the Whitehall torso was of Bradford make. Just trying to connect some dots for what it's worth.

September 1870

Click image for larger version

Name:	lonsdale 28 aldgate silks.png
Views:	89
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	575940

June 1882

Name:	lonsdale 28 aldgate.png
Views:	67
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	575941

I think Aldgate Street renumbers.
    Philips Warehouse at 28 was four doors up from The Bull Inn.
    28-31 and 1 Mitre Street was the corner near Mitre Square.

Found an 1863 ad for D Lonsdale and Co of 29,30 and 31 Aldgate, E.

Comment

Originally posted by D.J.Adams View Post
      I think Aldgate Street renumbers.
      Philips Warehouse at 28 was four doors up from The Bull Inn.
      28-31 and 1 Mitre Street was the corner near Mitre Square.
      Thanks Dave, Yes, with the 1, Mitre Street address included that makes sense.

Comment

Superfluous however John Dunlop took over the company from the rest of the family on 17/11/1879.
        Address then down to 28 and 29,Aldgate.

Doubt Lonsdale Mills were connected.

Comment

Originally posted by D.J.Adams View Post
          Superfluous however John Dunlop took over the company from the rest of the family on 17/11/1879.
          Address then down to 28 and 29,Aldgate.
          John Dunlop? or John Lonsdale?

Comment

Lonsdale

Seem to have been on the slippery slope financially.

Comment

Whew. Things were about to get more interesting than I thought.

Comment

Here in Oz,a Dunlop tyre distributor is in Lonsdale Street,Dandenong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                  The Lonsdale family owned a dressmaking shop in Aldgate Street No.28 to No. 31 from as early as 1862. (that's the earliest ad I've found in the papers so far). They appear to have been there at least until 1882 according to the latter advertisement I posted. (hard to read, sorry)

Does anyone know if they were there later than 1882? I believe the research that has been done so far regarding the address Catherine Eddowes was found drunk, 29 Aldgate, indicates a furniture seller by the name of Phillips, I think.

On a side note, Walter Lewis Turner, the murderer of Barbara Waterhouse and possibly Johnny Gill, worked for Messrs. Lonsdale Mills in Horsforth as a weaver. Not sure if the Lonsdales owned that mill or not but that is the purpose of this thread, Also, the dress found in the area of the Whitehall torso was of Bradford make. Just trying to connect some dots for what it's worth.

September 1870

Name:	lonsdale 28 aldgate silks.png
Views:	89
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	575940

June 1882

Name:	lonsdale 28 aldgate.png
Views:	67
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	575941
                  Hi Jerry
                  I did some work on this a little while back and noted a William Hattersley at No 29 in 1887,88 and 89. The man who later appeared at No 30.
                  https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...-exist-in-1888

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

Hi Jerry
                    I did some work on this a little while back and noted a William Hattersley at No 29 in 1887,88 and 89. The man who later appeared at No 30.
                    Thank you Debs,

I think, as Dave pointed out, Lonsdale was at Aldgate street near Mitre Square and not Aldgate High Street where Hattersley was.

Comment

1 Mitre Street would only be a few yards from the entrance to Mitre Square.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                        I think, as Dave pointed out, Lonsdale was at Aldgate street near Mitre Square and not Aldgate High Street where Hattersley was
                        It would have been High Street east of the site of the old gate entrance (between Duke Street and Houndsditch) prior to 1884. Aldgate-High Street after.

Comment

Thanks Phillip and Scott.

Scott, I wasn't aware of the High Street reference before 1884. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X