Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Looks Promising

https://www.jacktherippernorthampton.com

Is it me or does it sound like whoever wrote that tried to make themselves sound intelligent? A lot of talk but not really saying anything.

Comment

This might be ideal platform on which to present a paper on the Ballad Myth.

Comment

I remember quite a few years ago when regular and enthusiastic poster, Maria Birbili, was around on both forums and eagerly trying to interest/involve us all in her plans to organise a conference where academics and professionals connected with crime, history and other disciplines could come together to exchange ideas on various aspects concerning the Whitechapel murders.

Comment

It might be interesting to ponder on what has been the most significant contribution by an academic to our knowledge of the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
            I remember quite a few years ago when regular and enthusiastic poster, Maria Birbili, was around on both forums and eagerly trying to interest/involve us all in her plans to organise a conference where academics and professionals connected with crime, history and other disciplines could come together to exchange ideas on various aspects concerning the Whitechapel murders.
            I picked up on this from the Rippercast Twitter account. There doesn’t appear to have been any effort to reach out to CB or JTRF. Possibly Jon Menges got wind of it through Adam Wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

I picked up on this from the Rippercast Twitter account. There doesn’t appear to have been any effort to reach out to CB or JTRF. Possibly Jon Menges got wind of it through Adam Wood?
              That doesn't surprise me. I get the impression the idea is to move away from popular message board 'Ripperology' and rebrand as something more highbrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                It might be interesting to ponder on what has been the most significant contribution by an academic to our knowledge of the case.
                pondering..

Comment

Perhaps L. Perry Curtis Junior's "Jack the Ripper and the London Press", published in 2001?

Comment

Northampton... I thought at first it might be a reference to John Allen Lechmere and his move there, away from the bossy and domineering attentions of Old Ma.
                    But no... will Drew be apologising for his less than academically vigorous book?

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                      Northampton... I thought at first it might be a reference to John Allen Lechmere and his move there, away from the bossy and domineering attentions of Old Ma.
                      But no... will Drew be apologising for his less than academically vigorous book?
                      I thought it was in honour of Alice Pitts.

As for Ma driving JAL away, I’m inclined to think that he did a runner after having disgraced himself in Hereford and she was left holding the babies. A young man caught her eye, and fearing social opprobrium in small town Hereford, she and her paramour fled to London and buried themselves in Tiger Bay. The risk of JAL resurfacing and trying to get his hands on her legacy was ever present.

Comment

We can weave our own stories... Drew did with much less basis, and he's an academic you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

That doesn't surprise me. I get the impression the idea is to move away from popular message board 'Ripperology' and rebrand as something more highbrow.
                          Not at all, Debs. We welcome input from everybody.

The simple answer as to why we hanve't posted here or on Casebook is because we only made the website live late on Sunday, and I was busy in meetings yesterday.

Gary - it hasn't been announced on Twitter yet either, you must have seen my post on the Rippercast Facebook page.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts both here and at the event itself.

Best wishes
                          Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Wood View Post

Not at all, Debs. We welcome input from everybody.

The simple answer as to why we hanve't posted here or on Casebook is because we only made the website live late on Sunday, and I was busy in meetings yesterday.

Gary - it hasn't been announced on Twitter yet either, you must have seen my post on the Rippercast Facebook page.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts both here and at the event itself.

Best wishes
                            Adam
                            Thanks for letting us know, Adam. It all sounds very interesting.

It was through the Rippercast Twitter that I first heard of the ‘call for papers’.

Comment

Philip Sugden 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper' 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X