Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Brough: Scalby Manor photos

Hi,

As some of you are aware, I managed to gain access to Burgho and Barnabys home of Scalby Manor, Scarborough.

I was surprised to find the majority of the yard still as was when their owner, Edwin Brough, lived there.

Here are a few shots I took.

Monty
    Attached Files

Hi,

These shots are of the actual kennels themselves. Some outside looking in and some from inside.

Cheers

Monty

Attached Files

Comment

Aha ! Thats what those structures were on the other thread....

Thanks for these Neil. Much appreciated
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Monty, are those buildings Jacobean?

Comment

You mean period or style?

Period Victorian. Style, Ive no idea. I did note many building in that area were of that design, especially around tge Georgian/Victorian area of the Esplanade where the tv series 'The Royal' was filmed.

As everyone can see, the yard was in a sorry state. Overgrown brambles, nettles and with the odd dead pidgeon. The things I go through for you guys.

Monty

Comment

Yes, shame it can't be restored a bit, Monty.

Good stuff.

Comment

Funny you should say that Robert,

I was talking to a guy who works there. Apparently the pub chain were going to knock parts down and convert it into a hotel. However the British Bloodhood Association had an injuction put out and stopped it. As it stand, the chain are letting it go to ruin and, so the guys suspects, the BBA are pushing for it to be listed.

The top floor of the actual manor is as was in around 1900. As asked for permission to view it but was denied on insurance grounds. Im still persuing access though.

Monty

Comment

Hi Monty

I might well be wrong here, but I thought I read somewhere that if you own a listed building, there's no law against you letting it fall into total dilapidation. Paradoxically, though, if you want to modernise and "improve" the building - even if it's quite a nice job - you can be forced to unimprove it and put it back to how it was, because all work must be in keeping with the building's character. So I'm not sure whether having the building listed would necessarily save it.

Comment

Hi Robert,

The listed part was pure speculation on the Guys part I must stress.

Monty

Comment

I thought the chain and the poochy-people had come to some sort of agreement to incorporate the old building into the new pub. I guess it fell through.
                    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

The front of the pub, and part of the sheds in the rear yard are built in a Dutch Colonial style. We have quite a few existing Victorian buildings in Hull with similar facades. This is a great thread, thanks for sharing Monty and good luck in getting further access. It's a shame they are quiet rundown.

Comment

Cheers Mike,

Yes, very common around your manor. Came back home via the bridge, kids love going over that. Winterton way.

Magpie,

As I say, this info of conversion etc is third party. Im not certain on it.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Magpie,

As I say, this info of conversion etc is third party. Im not certain on it.

Monty
                          Well, the sorry state of the property two years after the much trumpeted agreement suggests your source was correct.

What a pity
                          "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Hi,

As some of you are aware, I managed to gain access to Burgho and Barnabys home of Scalby Manor, Scarborough.

I was surprised to find the majority of the yard still as was when their owner, Edwin Brough, lived there.

Here are a few shots I took.

Monty

Hello Monty and Mike

What's the situation here? How much of this is going to preserved? I wonder if the people who own the property are aware of the historical significance of it? Could one of you make them aware of it?

I would like to see Scalby Manor preserved and to make the public aware of Brough and the pooches and their involvement in the case.

Scalby Manor in Scarborough has a connection to an internationally famous historical event. It could be a major tourist attraction.

I would be happy go there to see it, possibly on my next trip to the UK for the 2011 convention, presuming there will be such.

All the best

Chris
                            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                              Hello Monty and Mike

What's the situation here? How much of this is going to preserved? I wonder if the people who own the property are aware of the historical significance of it? Could one of you make them aware of it?

I would like to see Scalby Manor preserved and to make the public aware of Brough and the pooches and their involvement in the case.

Scalby Manor in Scarborough has a connection to an internationally famous historical event. It could be a major tourist attraction.

I would be happy go there to see it, possibly on my next trip to the UK for the 2011 convention, presuming there will be such.

All the best

Chris
                              They are very aware Chris. One lad, Matt, must have been around 17 years old, was very pleased I was taking an interest. He was very helpful.

Problem is funding, who is going to pay for it. The pub chain? well if so they will want it in their image.

Local council? No money in the pot.

BBA? Not sure if they have the funds either.

As for a touristy thing, it is a few miles from Scarborough itself, bit out the way. Its on the Whitby road.

This is why I took photos (the few on this thread are merely a selection), because no one knows if its going to be around for much longer.

Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X