• Show
Clear All

• ****A Detective's Views : Post Pinchin Street***

North-Eastern Daily Gazette
    September 18, 1889
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Hello Howard

Very interesting. I wonder if I am the only person who thinks that the man who "created some stir during the last murders", who works irregular hours, is out at night, and claims to be a member of the Vigilance Committee, might be our old friend Albert Bachert?

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

I agree, very interesting find, How!
      Chris, I was thinking Packer myself as a shop is mentioned, (although Packer didn't have a daughter) and he did cause a bit of a stir too with his tales of JTR.

Comment

Debs,CG:

Obviously, Bachert would be one of the first names we'd think of.
        However, was he married with a daughter in 1889 ?
        Thats why I hesitated to suggest what Chris mentioned.

It is interesting isn't it ? I was trying figure who the detective might be..
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

To me, it sounds more like the unnamed (Jewish?) businessman suspect, who was mentioned in at least one report years later, who had been married with a family and worried them by going out at all hours, mixing with the wrong sort of women. If I recall correctly this man had a grudge against unfortunates, putting all the blame on them for spreading disease. I'm sure Rob House, Chris Phillips and others were speculating about his possible identity in recent months, and the police officers who had watched him, but I can't remember which names cropped up.

Not the Butchers' Row suspect, was it?

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

John Cleary is the only man I can think off.

This thanks to Nemo:-

John Arnold
            a.k.a. John Cleary, John Leary, John Kemp, Denis Lynch
            John Arnold was an enigmatic character involved in the investigation of the Pinchin Street torso murder of 10 September 1889 - indeed for a time he was a top suspect in the case.

Arnold's story begins two days before the discovery of the Pinchin Street torso, in the early morning hours of Sunday, 8 September 1889. At approximately 1.05am, a man named John Cleary, giving his address as 21 Whitehorse Yard, Drury Lane, arrived at the London offices of the New York Herald. He said he had information on a new Jack the Ripper murder which had just been discovered in Backchurch lane. According to Cleary, the mutilated body had been discovered by a constable nearly two hours earlier at around 11.20pm. He himself had heard of the discovery via a Police Inspector, whom he had bumped into on Whitechapel High Street. Cleary then asked if he would receive a monetary reward for his information.

Two reporters took down his story and hurried down to the street with Cleary to call a hansom cab. At this point, Cleary slightly modified his story, saying his informant was not a police inspector, but "an ex-member of the police force." He then drew even more suspicion from the reporters as he refused to follow them to the site of the alleged murder. At this point Cleary left the scene and the reporters hurried toward Backchurch lane.

When the Herald men arrived at the scene they found no trace of murder. They questioned two police officers who were patrolling the area, but neither had heard of any disturbances. The reporters made one last fruitless search of the area, but nothing was to be found. They returned to their offices and filed a report, after which the incident was quickly forgotten.

But when news of the Pinchin Street torso broke two days later, the Cleary debacle suddenly became of utmost importance. Pinchin street is an extension of Backchurch lane, and in fact the mutilated torso was discovered very near to where the two 'intersect'. The fact that this man 'predicted' a mutilation-murder in that location just two days earlier seemed like more than mere coincidence. John Cleary was no longer a crank. He was now a prime suspect.

A search was immediately begun at 21 Whitehorse yard, but no one at that residence had ever heard of a John Cleary. On Wednesday, 11 September the New York Herald published a description of the man who had come to their offices on Sunday morning:

He was a young man, apparently between twenty-five and twenty-eight years of age. He was short, his height being about 5 ft. 4in. He was of medium build, and weighed about 140 lb. He was light-complexioned, had a small fair moustache and blue eyes. On his left cheek was an inflamed spot, which looked as if a boil had lately been there and was healing. He wore a dark coat and waistcoat. His shirt was not seen, the space at the throat being covered by a dirty white handkerchief tied about his neck. His trousers were dark velveteen, so soiled at the knees as to indicate that he blacked shoes. His hat was a round, black, stiff felt. He walked with a shuffle and spoke in the usual fashion of the developing citizens of Whitechapel, whom, in all respects, he resembled.
            A report by Chief Inspector Swanson (MEPO 3/140, ff. 153-157) states that further investigation at 21 Whitehorse yard revealed that the agent who rented apartments there, a Mr. Yates, said he knew a young man named 'Leary' who had lived there until three weeks earlier, when he had been evicted for not paying his rent. Yates said that Leary was now living in Strand Buildings and that he worked for a greengrocer in Newcastle Street named Mapley. Upon investigation, the grocer Mapley said he had never known a man named Leary, but that they did have a man who once lived in Whitehorse yard and was now living at Strand Buildings. Mapley gave this man's name as Denis Lynch.

Lynch was found at No. 5, Strand Buildings, living with another man's wife. He apparently admitted to using the alias 'Leary', but asserted that he had never called at the New York Herald. Lynch was brought before Mr. Fletcher, one of the Herald reporters who had originally spoken with John Cleary, but Fletcher positively stated that Lynch was not the same man.
            Swanson completed his report by stating that a woman was found "insensible" in High Street at 12 midnight on the night of 7 September, and that this occurrence may have given rise to the false report of another Jack the Ripper murder. He further noted that High Street was sometimes known as "Church lane." Nevertheless he urged that the search continue for the mysterious John Cleary.

Swanson later added a post-script to his report of 12 September, mentioning that there were reports of "some writing on a wall abt. Cleary". According to R. Michael Gordon, chalked messages were found near the crime scene which read: "John Cleary is a fool."

On the 12th September at around 1pm, a Mr. Miller from the Star newspaper arrived at Leman Street Station, asking questions about the Cleary statement. Miller said that he believed this man to have been an ex-compositor, "formerly attached to The Globe office; age 35, ht. 6ft., comp. fresh, hair and heavy moustache dark, bald, medium build, speaks peculiar, as though he has no roof to his mouth; who about 4 months ago was residing at 2 Savoy Buildings, Strand." Inspector Henry Moore noted that this was the same Mr. Miller who had found "the thigh of Annie Jackson which was thrown into garden on Thames Embankment." This presumably refers to the victim more commonly known as Elizabeth Jackson. Parts of her body had washed up in the Thames between May and June 1889.

Finally, it seemed, the mystery was solved. On 13 September, a newsvendor named John Arnold gave himself up to police at Whitehall place, after having read about the Cleary incident in the New York Herald (the paper he sold for a living). Arnold was a resident of No. 2 Harveys Buildings, Strand. He admitted that on Saturday, the evening of 7 September, he had been drinking at the King Lud public house. Soon after he left the pub he was approached near Fleet Street by "a man dressed as a soldier". This man told him, "Hurry up with your papers, another horrible murder ... in Backchurch Lane." Arnold said he immediately ran up to the offices of the New York Herald to report the information, but that he did not wish to follow the reporters to the scene of the crime because it was past 1am and his lodgings would soon close for the night.

According to Arnold, he gave the reporters the name 'John Kemp' (not Cleary), and the address 21 Whitehorse Yard, where he had lived previously. The false name was given, he said, because he did not want his wife to know where he was staying.
            Arnold described the soldier he met:

... a man dressed as a soldier, in black uniform, black cord shoulder strap, lightish buttons, cheese cutter cap, brass ornament in front of cap like a horn. Cannot say whether there was a band round or not, age about 35 to 36. Height 5ft. 6 or 7. compl. fair. Fair moustache, good looking, carrying a brown paper parcel about 6 or 8 inches long... I cannot say if he belonged to the regulars or volunteers... If I talked to the soldier for ten minutes or so, I might recognise his voice, but I am not certain that I could identify him from a number of persons.
            Swanson remarked that this description most closely ressembled that of a "Commissionaire".

Apparently, John Arnold had been known to the police in the district, as he had a reputation for drinking and gambling. He had also deserted his wife and received 21 days imprisonment as a result. Still, Swanson remarked, "I have never heard of him being dishonest. That he could be in any way connected with others or by himself in a murder is to me improbable." He also thought it might be useful to set up an trial with the Commissionaires, to see if Arnold could confirm that this was indeed the type of uniform his "soldier" had been wearing. No reports follow to indicate whether or not this trial did indeed take place.

Apparently, that is where the story of John Arnold comes to an end. He was not called to the inquest, which concluded on 24 September.

Monty

Comment

Monty, the first part that mentions Backchurch lane is obviously about Cleary, yes. The detective then goes on to mention another 3 suspects from what I make of the story, one of whom was a shop owner who's business seems to have been suffering.

Caz, that's interesting, I also thought of maybe someone like the Butcher's Row suspect but couldn't find any previous discussion on google.
              The mention that the suspect 'created some stir during the last murders' seems to suggest it was someone like Bachert, or Packer, who both seemed to have plenty of JTR stories to tell. It sounds like it was someone who had been in the news to me.

Comment

Caz:

Was the unnamed Jewish businessman you mention known to be a member of a Vigilance Committee ?
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I asked Chris Phillips if he recalled any discussion of this article, or of one similar, and he kindly sent me this link to a post made by R. J. Palmer, which seems to refer to the same suspect.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=107

Comment

Chris also sent me the link to this article and thread on casebook, which he feels could also be related and possibly the discussion remembered by Caz.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3405

Comment

Thanks Debs.

A Casebook member finds a thread on the Forums (Rajah's post from way back)...and on Casebook's thread, I located something and placed it on their site.

Its funny that we often forget these finds or conversations,isn't it Debs?
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, the article you found and posted here adds additional details that weren't mentioned in the other articles already found/discussed.
                        A step closer to identifying who it refers to hopefully?

Comment

Debs:

I'm hoping that it won't be the last article with information about the person in question. I'm keeping my eyes and fingers crossed hoping that we can.

XXX
                          How
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Chris Phillips had started a thread on a local by the name of Solomon De Leeuw, here:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=146180

Chris also noted that De Leeuw had a 13 year old daughter which the police official mentioned the man under suspicion had...within the article which kicked off this thread.

Interesting.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The Casebook Wiki has this info on this De Leeuw character.
                              Interesting that he was found guilty of abusing animals...in 1892. However, he may have engaged in this sort of behavior prior to this time, even before 1889...but was not charged as in 1892.

Tenant of 59 Aldgate High Street in 1888. Described as a meat salesman. Between 28 November 1889 and 20 June 1890 he was succeeded as tenant by Gabriel Horwitz, and then before 3 December 1890 by George Louisson [poor and tithe rate assessments].
                              On 19 November 1890, described as a meat salesman of 59 Aldgate High Street, he petitioned for bankruptcy and a receiving order was issued [London Gazette, 21 November 1890]. First meeting, 12 December 1890; public examination, 14 January, 1891; hearing concerning application for discharge, 5 March 1891 [London Gazette, 2 December 1890; Morning Post, 14 January 1891; London Gazette, 6 February 1891].
                              At the date of the 1891 census, a butcher, employed, he was living with his wife, children and a servant at 59 Aldgate High Street.
                              He was fined at the Guildhall for cruelty to 38 sheep, which he had ordered to be confined in Harrow Alley on 15 February 1892 [Times, 29 February 1892].
                              On 22 April 1895 he was admitted to Bow Road Infirmary from 59 Aldgate High Street [creed register; admission and discharge register]. He was discharged to the City of London Asylum at Stone on 25 April. He was found to be suffering from acute mania, supposed to be caused by business worry. On admission his height was recorded as 5 feet, 4 inches, and his weight as 9 stones, 13 pounds. He was described as "violent, incoherent and destructive of clothing, has well marked delusions regarding his great strength and powers of endurance." He died there on 8 May, the cause of death being "Exhaustion from Mania and diffuse abscess of leg." [City of London Board of Guardians, Lunatic Admissions 1894-5, no 2587; Stone Asylum Male Case Books nos 12, p. 50, and 8, p. 67; Stone Asylum Register of Removals, Discharges and Deaths]
                              Death registered at Dartford in the second quarter of 1895. Buried at West Ham United Synagogue Cemetery, 28 May 1895. Death notice in the Jewish Chronicle, 31 May 1895.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X