Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Branch ledger entries relating to the Whitechapel Murders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Interesting, in Cover (16) Co-Cr Jul 1890 - Sept 1890, 341, there is a Cross, Charles described as a "Cattleman giving wrong address"

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
      With the help of Debs and Simon, I have had a fairly thorough look through Felicity Lowde's blogs, and I've made a list of links to all her photos of the Chief Constable's Register. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were no fewer than 80 photos, including quite a number of complete pages. The list of links can be found here in the Resources section of jtrforums. In each case I've indicated the range of the alphabet covered, and have included rough estimates of the dates of the references.

      The dating of the entries has been done partly by means of the references to folios of the Correspondence Register, which seems to have been filled up chronologically. A number of the entries in the photos can be dated, at least approximately, and with the help of these dated entries the dates ,for other folio numbers can be estimated. I've put a list of suggested dates here in the Resources section, in case they are useful to anyone. No doubt more can be found.

      For entries with CID Registry references starting 52983, which apparently relate to the Whitechapel Murders, the dates can be estimated more precise with the help of the list of dated references compiled by R. J. Palmer and posted above on this thread. I have also placed a version of the list in the Resources section, with his permission.

      As I said R. J.'s dates are more precise, but with only one exception, the two dating systems give consistent results. The exception is a 52983 entry that was about 4 months earlier than the apparent dates of nearby folio numbers. Perhaps a CID document was noted by Special Branch some time after its creation, or some time after the creation of the file it was in.

      Finally, I have made a little list of entries that refer to the Whitechapel Murders (including entries with 52983 references). I've added estimates of the dates of these entries. As well as entries shown in the photos, I have also included notes on some entries from other sources (FOI disclosures and Lindsay Clutterbuck's thesis), though I think there may be more FOI entries than I have here.
      I should warn you that Felicty Lowde may contact you telling you to remove the images stating that they are her copyright. She tried that with me and I simply ignored her.

      www.trevormarriott.co.uk

      Comment


      • #63
        Well done all concerned!

        Noticed this one

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 9.46.38 am.png
Views:	108
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	591105
        Thanks for your time,
        dusty miller

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

          I should warn you that Felicty Lowde may contact you telling you to remove the images stating that they are her copyright. She tried that with me and I simply ignored her.

          www.trevormarriott.co.uk
          Thank you. In the file in the Resources section, I've provided only links to the images on her site, so that shouldn't be a concern.

          Of course if people have any genuine concerns about content on this site with regard to copyright they should contact us, and they'll be given proper attention.

          Comment


          • #65
            Clutterbuck's thesis also refers to the criticisms of Sir Robert Anderson in Frederick Moir Bussy's book "Irish Conspiracies; recollections of John Mallon (the Great Irish Detective) and other Reminiscences", published in 1910. (An article by Paul Begg entitled "Inspector Mallon and Frederick Bussy on Sir Robert Anderson" was published in Ripperologist 122 in 2011.)

            This book is available at the Internet Archive:
            https://archive.org/details/dli.granth.91625/

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
              Well done all concerned!

              Noticed this one

              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 9.46.38 am.png Views:	18 Size:	494.9 KB ID:	591105
              Yes, I noticed that one too when I had grape stalks on my mind a couple of weeks ago.
              https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/vict...376#post590376

              Comment


              • #67
                What might ‘Knocked off IRB’ have meant?

                Was there a John McCarthy who was known to have been or suspected of being a member?
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  What might ‘Knocked off IRB’ have meant?

                  Was there a John McCarthy who was known to have been or suspected of being a member?
                  You have to remember that these registers were used to collate information gathered from a variety of sources some of which may have been false,malicious or simply unproven

                  www.trevormarriott.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

                    You have to remember that these registers were used to collate information gathered from a variety of sources some of which may have been false,malicious or simply unproven

                    www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    I think we really are all well aware of that already.

                    Perhaps it would help if you could explain what point you're trying to make by saying that.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

                      I think we really are all well aware of that already.

                      Perhaps it would help if you could explain what point you're trying to make by saying that.
                      Well from spending years on here and casebook I see researchers readily accepting without question material such as is contained in the registers believing it to be true.

                      www.trevormarriott.co.uk

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

                        Well from spending years on here and casebook I see researchers readily accepting without question material such as is contained in the registers believing it to be true.

                        www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                        I haven't seen anyone doing that on this thread. Can you quote a single example of it?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

                          I haven't seen anyone doing that on this thread. Can you quote a single example of it?

                          Further, there are plenty of examples in the annals of 'true crime,' where a policeman fitted-up the wrong guy (or failed to solve a case) and it later transpired that he had either entirely ignored valuable information that had been given to him by the public on a plate, or had failed to investigate it properly, having already convinced himself that the wrong answer was the right one.

                          These cautionary tales clearly cut both ways!!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

                            Well from spending years on here and casebook I see researchers readily accepting without question material such as is contained in the registers believing it to be true.

                            www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                            There are even some who give credence to Wally Dew.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

                              There are even some who give credence to Wally Dew.
                              Dew was clearly incompetent--he had no idea that Charles Lechmere was dismembering women in a cat's meat shed.

                              I shouldn't risk send the thread off topic, but someday I'm going to have to ask Trevor Marriott (and Ed Stow, for that matter) what credible information links M. J. Druitt to the "Chummery" in Chiswick?

                              What evidence is there that Druitt (an Oxford man) even knew Harry Wilson (a Cambridge man)?

                              What evidence is there that the Chummery was a homosexual club of some sort?

                              I would suggest using caution in accepting something as fact, merely because it once appeared in a book.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                The Chummery was close to where Druitt's body was found.
                                RJP you must have been ruminating on this matter for weeks, waiting for an opportunity to expound!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X